WEILS DISEASE..A timely reminder.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
In today's Daily Telegraph a report states that a women aged 31 suffered organ failure, internal bleeding and nearly died after catching this disease after swimming in water polluted with rats urine.
She'd taken part in a triathlon in Hampshire ( no mention of the waters name but in the New Forest area ) and had symptoms of a cold but after suffering breathing difficulties and hallucinations she was taken to hospital where she eventually spent a week in intensive care.

As most of us know you don't have to swim in polluted water to catch this disease and I think is doesn't do any harm to remind everyone that great care should be taken around any water as most, if not all, probably support a rat population to some degree.

I carry disinfectant HAND WASH and use it prior to eating food etc knowing full well that at some time or another I will come in contact with the water every time I go out. It's part and parcel of fishing to mix ground bait, put fish back etc etc so EVERY angler needs to be aware of the consequences should they think 'It can't happen to me'........................

Go buy some hand wash and use it on the bank AND once you get home wash your hands before you eat......................

YOU KNOW it makes sense !!!

A message to all new or young fishermen who may be unaware of this bacterial infection;

Please take the time to read about it - lots of info via Google etc

B

binka

Good reminder Tee-Cee as I know only too well after my experience around this time last year.

And there I was last week sat with my bare trotters in the river :eek:mg:

greenie62

Reaction score
there I was last week sat with my bare trotters in the river

Cleared the vermin from 3 counties that did ;):eek:
- unfortunately we know who to blame if any fish turn up with a fungal infection:confused::mad:
- or any fun gals turn up with a fishy infection!:eek::D

B

binka

Cleared the vermin from 3 counties that did ;):eek:
- unfortunately we know who to blame if any fish turn up with a fungal infection:confused::mad:
- or any fun gals turn up with a fishy infection!:eek::D

I could put bait companies on the back foot (!) with the essence of cheese coming from those feet, a quick dip and the chub are lining themselves up :D

andreagrispi

Reaction score
I know of two blokes - one in Notts and one in Cheshire who both got infected with the virus. Both ended up in ITU for 3 months.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I must have a looksee on the Net to see just how the virus infects the body. I imagine the women mentioned in my Thread swallowed some water but I don't know if a an open wound such a cut finger is susceptible to infection.

As a secondary item I've noticed both horse flies (in my neck of the woods) and mozzies (on one water I fish) seem to be prevalent more this year than previously....perhaps the mild, wet winter had an affect..
Of the two the former I hate with a passion as I rarely feel them land on me!!

P

pointngo

Any open wound can be infected TC and through eyes, nose & mouth.. so you can catch it even if you have no cuts and don't swallow any water.

GT56

Reaction score
Reading this jogged my memory and I checked my club’s year handbook and sure enough, as I thought, there’s some information on Weil’s Disease. Very much following all that’s already been said but with a little extra, apparently drinking genuine Coca Cola is rumoured, although not proven, to ward off the disease if drank before and after using water facilities. I personally couldn’t drink the stuff but for all you fit bright young things that go in for wild swimming or canoeing, it may be an idea.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
GT56....Is that 'straight' or with a tot of rum added.....??

I think Coca Cola can be used for many things including bringing old coinage back to original condition !!

I wonder who came up with this, proven or otherwise ......