How would you fish it?

jackyb

Reaction score
The venue i'm going to have a campaign on is 3 foot deep everywhere and full of silt and weed, how would you fish it?, carp to 30, bream to 16 and tench to 8

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Visit at dusk or dawn to see fish activity and locate areas where fish shoal up. Where this occurs drag out a swim or two in a pleasant spot, maybe at the end where the wind is usually in your face and prebait a couple of times before fishing if you would have the swim to yourself. I would fish for the tench or bream, but would probably catch lots of small Rudd. I am resigned to such outcomes.

law

Reaction score
Chods aren't the best over silt. Depending how soft it is, the weight of the leadcore can pull the entire hooklink and bait into the silt. You can of course use the naked chod, but that of course defies the point as it doesn't pin the leader down as it should, over the detritus. If the whole lake is covered in weed, then disregard that.

Find out the type weed is, how thick it is and if it covers the entire lake. It depends on how in depth you want to go. As stated, I'd stalk the fish. If its that shallow, they should show themselves quite easily.

If not, spend some time with a marker to find some clear spots in the weed and fish them

noknot

Reaction score
Hello Jacky,

!st I need to know how long you have been Angling?
How big is this pond, and stock?

Last edited:

jackyb

Reaction score
I've been fishing for 6 years now started at 10, the stock of the lake, is fantastic there is a big head of tench, a small head of big bream and quite a few carp, there is also an abundance of small perch

---------- Post added at 14:35 ---------- Previous post was at 14:34 ----------

i'm not sure about the size, i'd say its a couple of acres

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
If the perch are the only small fish, then float-fished or even free-lined bread suggestst itself - sinks slowly, won't sink into the silt, won't catch perchlets, and all your target species love it. Only complicate things when you know "simple" hasn't worked.

jackyb

Reaction score
Simple doesn't work i'm afraid these fish are very shy and wary, its a park lake btw

noknot

Reaction score
No matter how weedy a water is there will be clearings in the weed, these are normally feeding areas cleared by fish, and are usually firm or hard.
I would spend as much time as possible casting a heavy lead around to find such areas!
Once located make notes and use natural markers, trees ect. Polarizing glasses will help you too!
Use high ground too!
Never neglect the margins, Pads and reeds, good luck!

Philip

Reaction score
If you can hack the idea of actually striking a bite rather than fishing self hookers sitting on buzzers ...then If its only 2 acres I would float fish it ...fish well over depth with the shot bunched near the hook and pull back till the float cocks. You should be able to reach any point in the pond with a well loaded float and you will be amazed how many bites you see you are getting compared to runs on semi fixed leads. In addition the disturbance getting the baits out is allot less.

Fish short sessions early and late and you might be surprised at the results.
I did really well on a shallow pond a few years ago fishing like that.

law

Reaction score
If you can hack the idea of actually striking a bite rather than fishing self hookers sitting on buzzers ...then If its only 2 acres I would float fish it ...fish well over depth with the shot bunched near the hook and pull back till the float cocks. You should be able to reach any point in the pond with a well loaded float and you will be amazed how many bites you see you are getting compared to runs on semi fixed leads. In addition the disturbance getting the baits out is allot less.

Fish short sessions early and late and you might be surprised at the results.
I did really well on a shallow pond a few years ago fishing like that.

You'll struggle to float fish in heavy weed!

laurence

Reaction score
I've found trial and error works quite well!! Give it a go.

Philip

Reaction score
You'll struggle to float fish in heavy weed!

Well I suppose if its top to bottom, wall to wall solid weed you might but otherwise i dont see why its a struggle to fish a float?

Its 2 acres. Cast to holes in the weed. Fish a slider and you can even get it into tiny holes and let it drop down vertically. You can see your baits bang on the clear spot and if you hook a fish your main line is going to be more above and over the weed than dragged down into it with a lead.

And once again getting the bait out with a float to the spot will cause less disturbance and bite indication will be far better.

How is that more of a struggle than fishing a lead ?

justabitpikey

Reaction score
Well I'm not very experienced on the carping front but if it was me I'd get down there on a hot day with a bit of a breeze and fish floaters down at the end of the lake where all the scum and stuff gets blown by the wind. But as I said in new to the carp side of things so feel free to ignore everything i say.