center pin reel

chrissh

Reaction score
hi
i have brought my first centre pin reel my question is should the line come off the top or the bottom of the reel
thanks chris

Windy

Reaction score
Conventionally, bottom, but there are plenty who over the years have preferred to run the line from the top and parallel to the rod. Not sure there is any mechanical advantage or logic either way, more a question of which way you prefer to turn the reel with which hand. Personal preference / choice.

greenie62

Reaction score
A number of factors need to be known:
Has it got a line-guard fitted?
Are you a left / right hand winder? Has the reel got 'ambidextrous' capability?
What's the butt-most ring position like on the rod you intend using it with?

Generally - the line feeds from underneath - but some anglers swear feeding from on the top gives better trotting control.
You pays yer money ....

cg74

Reaction score
If you reel in with your left hand the same as with a fixed spool reel, then the line has to come off the bottom, doesn't it?

peterjg

Reaction score
I have used centrepins for many, many years and have tried both with the line coming off of the bottom and the top of the reel. Tradition says that the line should come off of the bottom. In use the actual results are the same, however; you will get far less tangles with the line coming off of the top of the reel - so I strongly suggest that the better way is for the line to come off of the top of the reel.

This subject has been covered previously here and has raised objections to this view - I suspect without actually trying both ways?

mick b

Reaction score
hi
i have brought my first centre pin reel my question is should the line come off the top or the bottom of the reel
thanks chris

Now chrissh, this is a question that is liable to start WWIII such are the strength of the feelings that it will stir up.

Already you have a 'strongly suggest' and 'better way' from peterjg and a 'has to' from cg and your thread hasnt got going yet :eek:mg:

Amongst the Centrepin addicts, and yes they exist, this subject has even been the cause of broken friendships and anglers even being ejected from exclusive clubs.

I witnessed a well known angling 'guide' try without effect to get his client catching Grayling using the 'off the top' method, I got the client two fish in three casts letting him use my rod with the line 'off the bottom'.........result - the client asked the guide why his rods had line 'off the top'....answer - rods and client make fast exit and profanities in my direction.

Some rod custom makers only ring their rods for 'line off the top' and a special request has to be made for 'off the bottom' ringing.

In answer to your question.......
Go for off the bottom first, if you can control your tackle and catch fish you've done what you set out to do......simples.

If you struggle to control your tackle try off the top (and don't forget its obligatory to wear a floppy tweed hat and a Barbour at the same time) :D

;)

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
It's a personal thing, if you are comfortable with either method then that's the one for you.

I was taught the use of the centrepin by my Grandfather back in the early fifties. He would ''insist'' that the line came off the spool from the top, citing ''if you fish in windy conditions lad you will see there is less chance of the line fouling the reel''. I dutifully followed his advise without question, and became proficient. Does this suggest that line from the top is the correct way, not at all, it merely indicates that ''I was totally comfortable with the method''.

Each to their own.

robtherake

Reaction score
If you reel in with your left hand the same as with a fixed spool reel, then the line has to come off the bottom, doesn't it?

That's why I could never get away with it, CG. Just felt totally unnatural, reeling and playing fish in reverse, as it were - caused a few balls ups, I can tell you. To be fair, it wasn't an extended trial; I expect it'd become second nature after a while.

rubio

Reaction score
Spent too much time dealing with wind tangles so now I've gone over the top and instinctively reel in "backwards" without complications.

john step

Reaction score
Chrissh, I see you are from Lincoln in Gods own county. Not that blessed however with trotting/centre pin opportunities except for the Trent which is good re the flow.
If you are going to use the pin for still water use, it can be a very enjoyable way to play lumps with your thumb controlling everything. HOWEVER on still waters do turn the tension screw down to create more resistance or you will get line deciding to trip off the reel and cause no end of frustration and sorrow!!
The other advantage of a pin with the ratchet turned on is that when travelling light, fishing/stalking at close quarters they act as a bait runner and an alarm. I have a cheap Dragon pin with stronger line on for just that situation. Works a treat.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I have no preconcieved notions of what's right or wrong with regards to centrepins. Though I use one quite frequently, I'm definitely not one of those fierce centrepin afficionados. For me, having tried both ways,the line comes off the bottom. Whilst I accept that it does lead to greater issues in anything more than a strong breeze, backwinding to retrieve line is simply too alien to make line off the top a viable proposition.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have my line coming off the bottom of the reel and have no prob's with tangles in still or windy conditions. I can't see the point in making things alkward by having to wind in backwards....a bit backward in'it really :).

mick b

Reaction score
Spent too much time dealing with wind tangles so now I've gone over the top and instinctively reel in "backwards" without complications.

For big game fishing Dual an Italian company build a truly superb two speed reel where the high gear/fast line recovery is engaged by winding forwards and the low gear/power line recovery is engaged by winding backwards (with no discernible pause between changes).

I have had first-time big fish anglers who, although never having wound a reel backwards were able use these reels almost instinctively, and afterwards remark how the use of the backward winding seemed to relax their arm and wrist.
I also supplied a pair of 9/0s to a disabled angler who had broken his bicep muscle and using one managed to beat a Grander Blue Marlin (1117-Maderia) after a 2.5hr slug fest.

I quite like the idea of the line following the rod and have even played with the idea of designing a centrepin that I can wind forwards and still have the line coming off the top.
But Im a bit odd anyway as all my multipliers are lefthand wind, even my Shim Tiagras where I had to hand-cut the reverse gear myself :eek:mg:

:confused:

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
'Off the top' or 'off the bottom'?; There is no right or wrong way, just the anglers own personal preference.

Off the top may give minor advantages especially in gusty winds however it makes the Wallis Cast virtually impossible; as does a reel fitted with a line guard; however not everyone uses the Wallis Cast.

I can't get on with my line coming off the top; I have tried it several times over the years but I can't get used to having to turn the reel handles in the opposite direction to all my other reels. Plus I often use the Wallis Cast which I can't do with the line coming off the top.

It's completely up to the angler and the way they fish, there is no 'right' or 'wrong' way.

Keith

Last edited:

chrissh

Reaction score
thank all
I'm going to put some cheap line on the reel and go out to play at the weekend, I will try it both way off the top & bottom ( I think the bottom is the way I will go as the reel has a line guard ) but i will remove it to try the line off the top