Stewart & Pennell rigs

Blackdog

Reaction score
I recently picked up a book written in 1935 about the joys of worming for trout. The author recommends the use of 2 or 3 hooks to hold larger worms - Stewart or Pennell rigs. But my local tackle shop tells me this is illegal, and the EA bylaws appear to agree.

Does anyone know why this illegal?

The Monk

Reaction score
Not seen those around for years, I think they were deemed damaging to fish, welcome to the site mate, Black dog is one of my favorite led Zep tracks

M

MarkTheSpark

Not illegal at all. According to most byelaws, you can use up to three hooks on a rig. If you couldn't, the fly anglers at ressies would all be banned.

I'm not in favour of three-hook Pennells, but I've used a two-hook rig many, many times, mainly for eels and perch when using big lobworms.

They work really well when the fish are nabbing the bait. I usually use a strong dry-fly hook slid on to the line and the second hook tied on beneath it. The dry fly hook (which sits in line because off the offset eye) can be stopped with a Powergum knot if you want a bigger gap between hooks. I suppose you could also slide a short length of rigid rig tube between the two hooks.

I have seen them looped on but I haven't tried this method.