Feeding before fishing

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Like most happy splodgers I chuck a few pellets in while I am setting up then start fishing straight away.

I have been watching the Preston innovations winning pegs dvds online I'll post a link if you want and my plan tomorrow is to fish the method but feed the near shelf , about 5 metres out , for a couple of hours , sparingly before fishing.

About 12 I will start feeding the margins but not fishing them , I usually do this anyway.

Why dont the fish just fill themselves up before I even start fishing ?

nicepix

Reaction score
That is OK if you are very familiar with the peg. If you are not then I'd suggest that you plumb the depth before deciding where to chuck your bait.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
That is OK if you are very familiar with the peg. If you are not then I'd suggest that you plumb the depth before deciding where to chuck your bait.

Yes I have fished the peg , if I can get it , but feeding for a couple of hours surely a lot of fish will just come and go in that time ?

nicepix

Reaction score
Yes I have fished the peg , if I can get it , but feeding for a couple of hours surely a lot of fish will just come and go in that time ?

Possibly. But it could also result in more and more fish being attracted into the swim as time goes on. And those feeding fish might become more confident if there was no hooking of the fish present.

I would only pre-bait a swim for a couple of hours or longer IF I knew it like the back of my hand AND it would be beneficial to do so. I don't fish commercials and so you might be looking at a different situation to what I encounter. Usually I would put in some bait at the start and then decide when or if to add more bait dependent on the fishing.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Feeding the margin a little at a time keeps fish coming in looking for food without the chance of spooking them by catching

Then after a time you can fish the margin , catch a couple of fish then rest it again but keep feeding the spot

This keeps the swim active and means you catch from it , towards the end of the day you can catch a few big carp from the margin swim as they move in to feed

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Feeding the margin a little at a time keeps fish coming in looking for food without the chance of spooking them by catching

Then after a time you can fish the margin , catch a couple of fish then rest it again but keep feeding the spot

This keeps the swim active and means you catch from it , towards the end of the day you can catch a few big carp from the margin swim as they move in to feed

There is a lot of detailed stuff on the preston site with Tommy Pickering fishing Whiteacres , he feeds the two plus two line for two hours , regularly before making the first attempt on it.

He is a great commercial angler , no disputing that , but I am wondering how many of the original fish that were drawn to the bait were still there. That said I am giving it a try tomorrow and I normally do this in the margins anyway so the same principle should apply.

cg74

Reaction score
Benny, continually trickle the feed in, the idea is to get them wanting more but don't leave them wanting so much so that they vacate the swim.

But what do I know, I failed to catch a carp from one of these impossibly easy muddy puddles today.:D

---------- Post added at 23:47 ---------- Previous post was at 23:40 ----------

Exactly but it's not exclusively a nearside margin thing.

law

Reaction score

It's about confidence.
Yes a handfull of fish might come and go, but if you fish for them immediately, you may catch 4-5 before spooking the rest.
However by building up their confidence for a couple of hours, you can catch a lot more.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
C

chefster

Certain venues dont respond to "priming" lines,as the fish just come in mop up and move on!!,better off tapping in bait and going on it....5m meat line can be instant or can be left till late....Margins with reedbeds dont need priming as fish are usually resident there,or feel confident,due to the cover...margins with bare bank ,usually do require prepping,as there is no cover for fish to feel confident,so by regular baiting and leaving until the tails start coming up,ensures fish will gain confidence...dvd,s are ok for ideas,but they only usually work on the waters ,which they are filmed at...Gazza

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Certain venues dont respond to "priming" lines,as the fish just come in mop up and move on!!,better off tapping in bait and going on it....5m meat line can be instant or can be left till late....Margins with reedbeds dont need priming as fish are usually resident there,or feel confident,due to the cover...margins with bare bank ,usually do require prepping,as there is no cover for fish to feel confident,so by regular baiting and leaving until the tails start coming up,ensures fish will gain confidence...dvd,s are ok for ideas,but they only usually work on the waters ,which they are filmed at...Gazza

Thanks Gazz that was my fear , where do you prime ?

C

chefster

Thanks Gazz that was my fear , where do you prime ?

As you know most of my fishing is matches,so I never feed before I start..I very rarely prime lines in open water,just put in a cup or kinder pot of bait,and go on it,i,ll maybe prime another line 5 mins before I go on it.....If my 5m meat line doesn't produce instantly,i will leave it alone and just keep throwing meat on it every 5 mins ,and keep trying it until it does....as I said I would leave a bare bank/shallow margin until at least 3rd hour,then every 20 mins or so put a big pot of bait in,you,ll soon see when the fish turn up..after that I would only kinder pot bait in when I hook a fish,and just feed for one fish at a time,otherwise you will get too many fish in the swim and foulhook and lose more than you catch...Margins with rushes,i would feed little and often ,by hand from the start,and keep having a look there....The thing with fishing a match is you have to maximise you,re time,you cant afford to sit waiting on lines that aren't producing..you want to go on it and catch straight away...having said that if you are pleasure fishing,paitience can be a virtue,and you can afford to sit it out,i hope this helps ,Benny....Gazza

bennygesserit

Reaction score
As you know most of my fishing is matches,so I never feed before I start..I very rarely prime lines in open water,just put in a cup or kinder pot of bait,and go on it,i,ll maybe prime another line 5 mins before I go on it.....If my 5m meat line doesn't produce instantly,i will leave it alone and just keep throwing meat on it every 5 mins ,and keep trying it until it does....as I said I would leave a bare bank/shallow margin until at least 3rd hour,then every 20 mins or so put a big pot of bait in,you,ll soon see when the fish turn up..after that I would only kinder pot bait in when I hook a fish,and just feed for one fish at a time,otherwise you will get too many fish in the swim and foulhook and lose more than you catch...Margins with rushes,i would feed little and often ,by hand from the start,and keep having a look there....The thing with fishing a match is you have to maximise you,re time,you cant afford to sit waiting on lines that aren't producing..you want to go on it and catch straight away...having said that if you are pleasure fishing,paitience can be a virtue,and you can afford to sit it out,i hope this helps ,Benny....Gazza

Much appreciated !