Fishing in Hertford

chrissh

Reaction score
I used to live in Hertford for the first 18 years of my life, I used to fish the lea, beane, rib,mimram. I'm going to Hertford in 3 week time the 1st time in 35 years. can you still fish in goldings and Waterford marsh, hartham and is there still a tackle shop in the town . I think it use to be Ron Chapman opposite the war memorial in parliament square
thanks Chris

john step

Reaction score
I used to live in Hertford for the first 18 years of my life, I used to fish the lea, beane, rib,mimram. I'm going to Hertford in 3 week time the 1st time in 35 years. can you still fish in goldings and Waterford marsh, hartham and is there still a tackle shop in the town . I think it use to be Ron Chapman opposite the war memorial in parliament square
thanks Chris

I lived there briefly about 15 yrs ago and the tackle shops were gone then.The one I found was near the bridge at Ware.

There was plenty of fishing in the town section and below. LAA had some. The Lea Consortium had the rest but in truth at the time the bailiff to collect day ticket money was as rare as hens teeth. You might find the marina area has been tarted up a bit.
I enjoyed the town section most with its flowing water.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
No tackle shop in Hertford or Ware now, the nearest is Johnson Ross Hoddesdon. There is a tackle shop at Rib Valley lakes, (not sure what it is like) these are day ticket waters. Rib valley Lakes is off the A10, on the road towards Stevenage, take the Ware/ Stevenage turn off from the A10, head towards Stevenage for about 800 yards, Rib Valley Lakes is on the left, can't miss it.

The Lea around Hertford is controlled by Hertford AC, Abbey Cross AC, and Ware AC, Not any day ticket water now that i know of.

The Lea canal is day ticket and is fishing very well, the Rib is full of Crayfish, and i mean full.

You can fish the river lea on a day ticket at Stanborough Lakes Welwyn Garden City, Roach, Chub, Barbel, Carp, and Bream, not very deep, but still some very good fishing to be had.

Good luck, hope that helps.

Last edited:

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
I lived there briefly about 15 yrs ago and the tackle shops were gone then.The one I found was near the bridge at Ware.

There was plenty of fishing in the town section and below. LAA had some. The Lea Consortium had the rest but in truth at the time the bailiff to collect day ticket money was as rare as hens teeth. You might find the marina area has been tarted up a bit.
I enjoyed the town section most with its flowing water.

The LAA still has some and it's Day Ticket !!