The Angler's News

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
At the Romsey Tackle Fair yesterday I bought a run of about 40 copies (1952/53) of The Angler's News. It's the first time I've even seen a copy despite having examples of most coarse fishing newspapers/magazines (excluding carp mags) of the past 70 years including Creel, Angling (both sorts), Coarse Angler, Fishing, AT, AM, Fishing Gazette, Angler's World, Fisherman (73-5) etc. It is is not exactly a big magazine but interesting none the less.

When did it stop? The circulation was about 10,000 at that time and I suspect that AT blew it away? Writers include S Donald Stone, **** Walker, Water Rail, and there are some very interesting articles about Arlesey, and also the record carp. In the match reports there is Sid Bruton from Bristol who I knew back in 1972 and W Raison from Farnborough who was the grandfather of Will (I think).The Throop reports show excellent roach fishing, plentiful pike and some chub to about 4lbs. Salmon fishing started 1st Febwhen coarse fishing stopped.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
No, it was a national paper though only a fraction as successful as Angling Times which launched in July 1953 and rapidly gained more than 100,000 readers. I suspect that spelt the end for The Angler's News which was struggling by comparison.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
It looks like the myth of all those anglers fishing decades before me has finally imploded! Perhaps they weren't around in the fifties after all? Or did it disappear without trace in 1953 which predates those posting?