Making Mistakes:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe it was the American angler and author John Gierach who wrote:

"The best fishermen I know try not to make the same mistakes over and over again; instead they strive to make new and interesting mistakes and to remember what they learned from them"

I wonder how the majority of FM contributors can identify with either the first or the second types described above?

Discuss?

Phil Lambert

Reaction score
I think we all fall into that category Peter. It's only by making, and consequently learning from, our mistakes that we become more experienced (and that doesn't only apply to angling!!).

A wise man once told me that every field trip (I shoot as well as fish) should teach you something - even if it's "I'm not fishing HERE again!

Striving to make new and interesting mistakes is symptomatic of innovation. Without innovation we stand still and there's no progress. God bless the mistake hunters - they drive forward the need to improve on what we already have.

Gary Dolman

Reaction score
I think that as we get older the biggest mistake we all make is to take too much tackle, and so stay rooted in the same swim all day. When we were kids it was not unusual to fish several swims in a day, until you found the fish, and consequently you learned more about the water.

I know the above does not apply to small river fishing, but on still waters it is all too common.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Stupidity is doing the same thing repeatedly, and hoping fora different outcome.

I keep taking far too much tackle ( to give me lots o foptions to try) and still doing the same stuff in the same swims; one day I'll wake up!

I hope.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I don't know who said it but I quite like the following wonderful statement on life:

"A man who never makes a mistake, never makes anything."

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"A man who never makes a mistake, never makes anything."

Not certain Ron, but the name David Gemill springs to mind (?)

Einstein's quote was: A man who never made a mistake has never tried anything new.

W

Wolfman Woody

"To every problem there is a solution. If there is no solution, it's not a problem but a fact of life and you have to live with it."
Issy Bonn

Your best chance of succeeding is by never attempting to try.
Murphy's 12th law

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
Stupidity is doing the same thing repeatedly

Like posting in the Barbel Section...

Why, oh why, do I do it?

;-)

W

Wolfman Woody

Self explanatory, Bob?

/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Muffin

Reaction score
These are3 quotes that ring pretty true in fishing habbits:

A life spent in making mistakes is not only more honourable but more useful than a life spent doing nothing. George Bernard Shaw

The higher up you go, the more mistakes you are allowed. Right at the top, if you make enough of them, it's considered to be your style. Fred Astaire

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. Napoleon Bonaparte

I class my enemy as the fish!

But I would say that people in general get 'used' to doing things a certain way and getting in bad habbits, which is why I love fishing a new water/river/swim, as I think it gives you licence to make a whole raft of 'new' mistakes and longer to hold onto that hope that it might all work out alright in the end doing it the way you always have!

W

Wolfman Woody

That's verging on the business statement -

To err is human, but it is not company policy.

W

Wolfman Woody

I have a favourite float, superb it is.

If you break off, it swims back to you even through the fastest currents. If you drop it on the ground, it bounces and always back into your tackle bag. It's impossible to lose it.

Don't ask me where you get them from, I found mine.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I had one too, many years since, it was a Miranda sliding bodied float.

If anyone out there has one please let me know and I'll offer you a damn good price for it!