Kryston Incognito Fluorocarbon

Lee Swords

Reaction score
I have been using it now for a few seasons and It really is the "dogs nob" when it comes to hook length....I have even used it on a reel when fishing for spooky Rudd at Alderfen...I caught several 2lb fish and over 20 that were not that far short!

I HAVE caught more when using it...Of this simple fact I have no doubt whatsoever !

Anyone that is in any doubt about the effectiveness of flouro carbon really needs to try this one out!

W

Wolfman Woody

-- Ditto Lee --

Well, apart from catching rudd, that is.

I took several barbel on it and chub before last years storms drove the fish away from our pool, but I have used it for carp, tying short hooklinks, and floater fishing with 3-5 feet hooklinks and caught 15lbs fish on the 10lbs (I think he now rates this as 9lbs to allow for the knot).

A class product.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I have been using Uncle Dave's Fluorocarbon almost exclusively for fly leaders as well as coarse hooklengths for a long time now.

It is truly a class product with an excellent knot strength.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The review is dated 23/09/08 and says it is 'available now'

So, it begs the question as to who has been doing the testing?

Ron, Lee, Woody?

[insert large smiling thing - - - - - > right HERE!]

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Ah!

From Ron's thread on the other Forum:

"I have been field testing it for something like two years now, mainly as fly fishing leader material. And it is certainly not the most expensive."

Therefore, forget the post above, all is now clear.

Nathan

Reaction score
This has come at just the right time, i've been looking for a new fluorocarbon after having a mishap with some Korda IQ at the weekend

Lee Swords

Reaction score
I believe the "testers" list is quite long and compromises of some seriously high class and respected anglers...

And also Woody , Ron and Me

Nathan

Reaction score
How do you end up testing this stuff? Am I just not cool enough to get free stuffor do i need to start catching monsters before anyone gives me some freebies?

Michael Townsend 3

Reaction score
I know Lee's been going on about this line for ages. Take it from me, he catches more than his fair share of fish, from loads of different venues. During his testing I've never seen him snapped once and I reckon he's sick of me cadging it for my hooklengths/forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif

Ps Lee have you got any more spare/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Lee Swords

Reaction score
Always have a bit spare for you Mike no worries!

Nathan, its not about monsters its about being active and open. I don't catch that many big fish to be honest but I do catch a lot of fish.

And I talk about them openly..Rigs line bait ect ect ect

The next good session you have write an article about it...get good pictures and try to explain what you are doing and why...

The tackle people will then come to you...if not get a cv of stuff that hasbeen published and go to them

The Monk

Reaction score
everything produced by uncle dave is top notch and well tested, he wouldnt put it on the market if it wasnt. if its got Kryston on the box, it does what it says, our lads have been using kryston product for years.

Nathan

Reaction score
I just went into my tackle shop to go and have a look for some of this line - i couldn't find any but i've given them the site address so hopefully they'll come along and join us on here.

I like doing little right ups of how i've done - i did one thats on the linear fisheries website (check me out). Maybe i should do it more often then hopefully i can ponce free stuff like the rest of you!

/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Lee (and the other testers!), can you tell me what knots you are usingwith this fluoro?

Particularly for hooklengths to swivels, oval rings, etc and at the hook end with the knotless knot or similar?

Ta ever so.

Reaction score
Neil

I spoke to Dave Chilton about this some time ago. He has tested the stuff at length and recommends:

Palomar knot or 4 turn half blood knot (no tuck - this weekens the knot by 6%)

Knotless knot if tying a hair (lighter bs)

The line must be well wetted and the coils closed up very carefully.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Do Kryston actually produce it or is it a just a re-branded generic line?.I have been using Fulling Mill for a few years and this also is a top flouro of abou the same price. As they say in Private Eye .. are they by any chance related?

Lee Swords

Reaction score
This stuff is quite unique in its make up

But lets not forget that there are very few companies able to produce this stuff in the first place.

The key is getting them to produce a line that matches the specifications suplied to the manufacturer in the first place...This is what Kryston do well.

They set down the guidelines for a good line to the manufacturers...The manufacturers have then got to bring a product to the table that matches these specs.

This is such a product...It is the best I have used.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I did some pretty exhaustive testing of this stuff in terms of the best knots for making up trout leaders. 3 turn water knots for making up droppers and 4 turn untucked half bloods for tying on flies.

Grinners are not too good - believe me.

The line comes from one of the world's leading monofilament extruders based in Japan. As far as I know it is 100% Polyvinylidene fluoride (PVDF).It is produced to a specification as requested by Kryston, as Lee says.

By the way the cost of setting up a monofilament extrusion process is about £3m.