Getting back into fishing.

kpr1969

Reaction score
Hello,
I've decided after a very long break (20 years probably) to take up a rod/pole again. I went to see my mate fishing last week and got bitten by the bug again. I'm looking to buy a decent quality complete course set up in one go if possible.
Must include rod/rods Match, waggler and maybe a carp rod for the type of commercial fisheries that have sprung up.
Also liked pole fishing back in the day so I'd like at least one pole of over 10m
I've tried going the classifieds on here but can't see anything also looking at the minefield that is ebay but there seem to be people on there who are cobbling together complete set-ups comprising kit of dubious quality...
If anybody can offer any advice which might help me in my search I'm looking to get up and fishing again ASAP but don't want to end up with the type of catalogue kit Argos knocks out...
possibly bit of a brand snob :eek:mg:

Last edited:

kpr1969

Reaction score
thanks for the welcomes everybody, looking around there are loads of threads i'm going to find useful here.
Can't believe the developments in fishing since I packed in...
poles for everything, pellets and the methods???
the marketing men have been having a ball :confused:
If anybody spots any ads for any decent full set-ups when they are navigating the internet would they be so kind as to post the link either in this thread or by pm..
I'm thinking this is definitely the worst time to buy kit but what can you do?
when the bug bites..:eek:

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Probably better off buying individually , plus how big are the xarp on those commercials and how far away are they do you need a specific rod ?

Cash converters / similar seem to have a lot of stuff at a decent price

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Welcome to FM.

have a look on e/bay, but i would try buying individual, you get what you want then. Buying a complete set from some one else, you may well end up not wanting a chunk of it.

Good luck getting the gear, and good luck with the fishing.

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
Welcome to FM and back to fishing in general.
I'm afraid your quest for an all in one set up is in vain.
I too returned to angling after a long break but spent literally months deciding which gear to buy.
Decide which venues you are going to fish -what they contain -

greenie62

Reaction score
when the bug bites..

So - you're hooked!
Part of the pleasure of angling is the anticipation, planning and instigation of the...
tackle-buying! :eek:
- as well as the time spent on the bank.
Being handed the whole solution on a plate is a bit like watching a video of someone else fishing - it's not the same without the pain!
Good luck & Tight lines :thumbs:

kpr1969

Reaction score
seem to be valid points..
enquired about a few joblots..
people posting very vague descriptions and even more vague pictures.. couple of tubes sticking out the end of a holdall and far away pics of poles where you cant make out make of the pole let alone the length or model.. so you ask for the info and they suddenly forget what it is they have been using to fish for the last x amount of time.. either that or they are selling for relations friends or the neighbour from down the road with a bad back who cant fish anymore..
thinking this is going to take time and patience or I'll end up with a load of ****.
or nothing and a load of mileage on the car, soooo might try an pick up a few things along the way..
as I say I'll be mostly fishing parks, lakes and commercial fisheries which will be stocked with the usual silvers up to tench carp etc .
wants,
robust pole capable of handing all of the above from silvers upto commercial size carp
carp/float rods for same kind of places.. (are avanti any good? google says cheap, does that mean nasty?)
suitable reels
nice comfy chair... to relax in when the bites slowdown
lots of variety of tackle and nets bank sticks etc..

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
people posting very vague descriptions and even more vague pictures.. couple of tubes sticking out the end of a holdall and far away pics of poles where you cant make out make of the pole let alone the length or model.. so you ask for the info and they suddenly forget what it is they have been using to fish for the last x amount of time.. either that or they are selling for relations friends or the neighbour from down the road with a bad back who cant fish anymore..
thinking this is going to take time and patience or I'll end up with a load of ****.
or nothing and a load of mileage on the car, soooo might try an pick up a few things along the way..
as I say I'll be mostly fishing parks, lakes and commercial fisheries which will be stocked with the usual silvers up to tench carp etc .
wants,
robust pole capable of handing all of the above from silvers upto commercial size carp
carp/float rods for same kind of places.. (are avanti any good? google says cheap, does that mean nasty?)
suitable reels

To be honest mate, just get the gear you need, it may take time, but you won't be wasting your money on rubbish.

Cheap isn't always nasty, but it may not be up to the job.

Good Luck.

laguna

Reaction score
wants,
suitable reels
Try your local tackle shop mate, have a good look round and ask lots of questions regards suitable tackle for the kind of venues you intend fishing - i'm sure they'll be more than happy to sell you some tart stuff ;)
Also what about your mate, maybe he could lend you some gear to help you decide?

hunters moon

Reaction score
:):) welcome kpr, I hope you enjoy fm.

....I have fished through fishless days that I remember happily without regret.
....Roderick haig-brown.