Protect Your Park and Public Fishing

The bad one

Reaction score
And what did I post only a few days ago about Cholton Water Park in Manchester? Yes just this type of threat.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
And what did I post only a few days ago about Cholton Water Park in Manchester? Yes just this type of threat.

You did indeed Phil highlight the possible problems regarding the RSPB and that Water Park.

This is one initiative that I see as being full of possibilities for many angling clubs up and down the Country to gain access and fishing for a minimum of outlay.

So it is good to see the Angling Trust getting behind this initiative and helping with advice etc.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
This is a good initiative Peter, my local park has a friends of the park scheme and they do all sorts of things, organize bird walks, flower walks; that sort of thing. They also have a fishing lake which was badly neglected by the club that ran it but, they have put in fencing and platforms all around it and tidied it up a lot. They have got a lot of funding from the EU and the lottery for this and other schemes so, these are places to get funding for projects. Parks are important amenities for many reasons.

The bad one

Reaction score
Parks are important amenities for many reasons.
They are indeed Mark and for those that live in the inner cities they are critical, as they are the only greenery/nature and/or the first contact of greenery/nature people in those area have.
Time to fess up here, I have for the last 20 years Chaired a park users group not CWP btw, so have huge experience of working in partnership with what people would call the Parks Department. There is no doubt that park depts are struggling badly to maintain the parks they have, it the worst I’ve ever known. Their budgets have been disproportionately hit the hardest right throughout the country. The reason for this is Parks are not a statutory obligation, believe it or not, on any local authority. They are what’s termed “concession services” and therefore first in line to have the budgets cut in times of cutbacks.

It’s my view that its of the utmost importance that parks have strong very active community lead friends of/users group, fully constituted to tap into whatever grant funding is available. Such groups can be very successful in improving the parks they care passionately about. In our own group’s case we must have over the 20 years gained grant funding to close on half a million pounds for facilities that the PD could not have ever funded.

Now the cynics will say, and do say, it’s not the responsibility of local people to fund such things, it’s the councils. The practical reality is they can’t. And if those in the community ain’t prepared to sand up and get stuck in, then your local park will continue to go down hill fast because your council just doesn’t have the money available to fund what it did in times gone by.

I’ll make a sincere offer here to anyone concerned about their local park here anywhere in the country that doesn’t have a community group looking after it.

If you pm me I’ll take you through the process of how you can set up such a group.

I have in life two burning passions - fishing and parks for people to use.

Phil

sam vimes

Reaction score
Good luck to those that put up a fight. In a similar situation with regards to canals, location means that park (civic) lakes and public fishing are something I've never had even the smallest involvement with. That doesn't mean that I'm happy to hear of their loss or restriction.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
They are indeed Mark and for those that live in the inner cities they are critical, as they are the only greenery/nature and/or the first contact of greenery/nature people in those area have.
Time to fess up here, I have for the last 20 years Chaired a park users group not CWP btw, so have huge experience of working in partnership with what people would call the Parks Department. There is no doubt that park depts are struggling badly to maintain the parks they have, it the worst I’ve ever known. Their budgets have been disproportionately hit the hardest right throughout the country. The reason for this is Parks are not a statutory obligation, believe it or not, on any local authority. They are what’s termed “concession services” and therefore first in line to have the budgets cut in times of cutbacks.

It’s my view that its of the utmost importance that parks have strong very active community lead friends of/users group, fully constituted to tap into whatever grant funding is available. Such groups can be very successful in improving the parks they care passionately about. In our own group’s case we must have over the 20 years gained grant funding to close on half a million pounds for facilities that the PD could not have ever funded.

Now the cynics will say, and do say, it’s not the responsibility of local people to fund such things, it’s the councils. The practical reality is they can’t. And if those in the community ain’t prepared to sand up and get stuck in, then your local park will continue to go down hill fast because your council just doesn’t have the money available to fund what it did in times gone by.

I’ll make a sincere offer here to anyone concerned about their local park here anywhere in the country that doesn’t have a community group looking after it.

If you pm me I’ll take you through the process of how you can set up such a group.

I have in life two burning passions - fishing and parks for people to use.

Phil
I like what you've written there Badone, well written (your not all bad then, watch your reputation going down the plug). Parks are great, grew up in one more or less on the outskirts of London. Inspired many a interest in nature, birds and fishing up to a point, not to speak of my education in other matters.
My local parks initiatives with their friends scheme has been a big success and they have had some huge funds collected from the Eu and the lottery, all of it has been put to good use and the park is as busy as ever for people to enjoy. So, I would encourage anyone to take a interest. You will take it for granted but, once its gone you would miss it.

Last edited:

The bad one

Reaction score
not to speak of my education in other matters.
Mark you shouldn't have wrote that mate, you've got me smiling and reminiscing in my mind now. Not good when you’re over 60 as distant memories can be painful. Her name was Elaine I think :confused::D

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Mark you shouldn't have wrote that mate, you've got me smiling and reminiscing in my mind now. Not good when you’re over 60 as distant memories can be painful. Her name was Elaine I think :confused::D

Tut, tut, tut----naming and shaming, at least I was gentleman. Still, I am sure she will be relieved that she was memorable !!!!....smiley

The mods will be after us soon, run for the hills.

Last edited: