Using a whip on a commercial

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I am off on Friday , fished last week big baits big hook still caught roach , I want to fish an elasticated whip , it has red hydro in it I forget which one, the usual fish in the pool are carp up to five maybe six and a grassy about 7 ( caught it twice) the whip is elasticated through two sections , I plan to fish caster on a small hook looking for roach , better off using a pole ?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Benny, red hydro is size 16/18 elastic meant for big carp on the pole.
You may bump roach off. Carp like casters too and of your whip is telescopic you may need a very long landing net handle.....

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Benny, red hydro is size 16/18 elastic meant for big carp on the pole.
You may bump roach off. Carp like casters too and of your whip is telescopic you may need a very long landing net handle.....

Maybe not hydro then , its very soft , bit like my head

C

chefster

I dont quite understand what you want to do? you fished last week with big baits and big hooks and got bitted out....so are you giving up trying to catch the carp???,if so then just fish whip,to hand ,light h/l,and feed maggot,you might hook a carp,but it will snap a light h/l,and you can just tie a new one on....If you actually want to catch carp,then fish properly for them..small fish proof bait-6 or 8 mm hard pellet banded,with a strong size 16 hook....feed 6mm hard pellets,once you start putting GB ,or soft baits in you will get roached out...I fish a water,where the roach will rag every bait apart from hard banded pellet!!Gaz

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I dont quite understand what you want to do? you fished last week with big baits and big hooks and got bitted out....so are you giving up trying to catch the carp???,if so then just fish whip,to hand ,light h/l,and feed maggot,you might hook a carp,but it will snap a light h/l,and you can just tie a new one on....If you actually want to catch carp,then fish properly for them..small fish proof bait-6 or 8 mm hard pellet banded,with a strong size 16 hook....feed 6mm hard pellets,once you start putting GB ,or soft baits in you will get roached out...I fish a water,where the roach will rag every bait apart from hard banded pellet!!Gaz

The intent was to fish lighter and go for the roach , there were some nice ones in there 2 to a pound taking a hard pellet on a size 12 hook.
Ideally I would like to fish for them with a whip , I have had decent tench on my elasticated with but I understand all previously mentioned points anout actually landing the fish, thought about putting hydro in a whip so it could cope with the odd carp.

Fishing tommorrow on a waggler rod with a pole float , its close enough in , the carp aren't massive , except the grassy , so I have some Kamasan size 18 hooks to 3.5 lb line so I'll see.

I am reluctant to fish too light should I not be worried about the odd line break ?

Thanks for the interest !

bennygesserit

Reaction score
The intent was to fish lighter and go for the roach , there were some nice ones in there 2 to a pound taking a hard pellet on a size 12 hook.
Ideally I would like to fish for them with a whip , I have had decent tench on my elasticated with but I understand all previously mentioned points anout actually landing the fish, thought about putting hydro in a whip so it could cope with the odd carp.

Fishing tommorrow on a waggler rod with a pole float , its close enough in , the carp aren't massive , except the grassy , so I have some Kamasan size 18 hooks to 3.5 lb line so I'll see.

I am reluctant to fish too light should I not be worried about the odd line break ?

Thanks for the interest !

Bought some number 9 Hollow today hopefully that should avoid bumping off the roach and may cope with the , mostly , 4 lb carp will be fishing the pole not a whip.

Last edited:

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Did that work?

Sort of

The 9. Hollow was fished on a pole not a whip , I caught , and didn't bump off , numerous small roach , perch , rudd, skimmers and it performed very well , had a couple of tench and carp to 3 or 4 pound and held on to them. The laccy went out miles , good job I was the only one on the pool and they took me a while to land , I included a puller bung in my set up , it was a good job I did or I wouldd still be there now with them.

i would recommend 9 hollow and puller bung for roach and small carp I would have been struggling with bigger fish though.