Leeda rods

cal_sutt

Reaction score
Whilst shopping around for new rods, I keep seeing Leeda products popping up on various different websites and I hear that Wychwood is part of the Leeda company. Has anyone got or used Leeda's rods and are they good? There's a few I like the look of, whatever one you may have used, if my query is relevant to you, a small review or guidance would be ideal.

bigfish74

Reaction score
I have the map sti feeder system brilliant rods for the price really cant fault them or their customer service second fo none

Andy

symonh2000

Reaction score
I have had a few Leeda items and they always seem to be ok. Most Leeda stuff is at the lower end of the market these days, but it is ok for what it is.

robtherake

Reaction score
Lord Paul made some disparaging comments recently, about a cheap 9ft Leeda spinning rod. Can't remember which post, unfortunately. I bought what I think is the same rod, as a spare for my son and his friend to use. At that price, it doesn't matter if they trash it - it serves its purpose. Admittedly it's not the best rod in the world, but if it saves my ABU and Shimano spinning rods from peril it was worth every penny :)

---------- Post added at 01:50 ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 ----------

I have what I believe to be a Leeda float rod. It's 13ft, on a slim blue blank with decent fitttings, lines from 2-4lb, lovely, progressive action. Unusually, there is no manufacturers logo, just the line rating and model number (A7000, I think). Bought from Used Tackle in the early 90s, alllegedly reduced from £150 to £30 as an end of line special deal.

It's a nice, well-balanced and lightweight rod (5.5oz). The sort of silverfish tool that's largely unavailable these days.

flightliner

Reaction score
The old Leeda Blue Diamond rods are quality, but I cannot comment on any of the newer models.
Ravey, I saw the thread title and was about to reply but yet again you have pre empted me !!.
I purchased a Leeda blue diamond fourteen foot spliced stic float rod from Bennetts of sheffield in the mid nineties.
Absolutely love it, be heartbreaking to loose it. I have shimano, daiwa and fox stic rods but this beats em all, I think it was about sixty odd pounds back in the day-- a pretty good price considering.
superb action for hemp n tare on the Trent.:)

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I've got a few Leeda/Wychwood/Giant rods, always been good to me despite suffering years of abuse.

ravey

Reaction score
Hi Flight..sorry to 'steal your thunder'!

I came across a 13' hollow tipped 'waggler' version in a local tackle shop in the mid nineties, and had a waggle...as you do. Comparable to some of the better Daiwas, I thought at the time, and I had the impression that it offered plenty of bang for the buck.

By the time I saw it, I had already equipped myself with a Daiwa Amorphous Whisker.

I still prefer 13' hollow tipped rods, although tried a couple of 14' jobs befoe deciding that the shorter rods without a splice felt better balanced and generally 'nicer'.

How's your season going so far?

terry m

Reaction score
I have an old Leeda 13ft 'Specimen Float' road.

It is fine, the action is actually quite nice, but these days it gets little use.

I think the price vs quality balance with Leeda is reasonably good.

flightliner

Reaction score
Hi Flight..sorry to 'steal your thunder'!

I came across a 13' hollow tipped 'waggler' version in a local tackle shop in the mid nineties, and had a waggle...as you do. Comparable to some of the better Daiwas, I thought at the time, and I had the impression that it offered plenty of bang for the buck.

By the time I saw it, I had already equipped myself with a Daiwa Amorphous Whisker.

I still prefer 13' hollow tipped rods, although tried a couple of 14' jobs befoe deciding that the shorter rods without a splice felt better balanced and generally 'nicer'.

How's your season going so far?

Ravey, no probs with the pre emting my friend-- just makes me smile is all:).
Like you I also heve the Daiwa amorphous whisker, little used compared to the Leeda job.
I was curious to know why your preferance to the thirteen footers over my fourteen foot jobbies.
It crossed my mind that the prevailing sou' westerlies that hits the Trent may not be as bad up "your end" of the river, most of my favourite haunts can be a proper "mare" on the day and a fourteen footer helps with mending the line.
My season is going along ok, hope yours is too . I,ve had a few nice fish/catches so far but I,m just about ready for some hemp n taring trentside for some roach now that june is out the way, they may not be big fish but having them on the tare is simply the best--cant wait - but not many oppotunities from now on as big family event is looming.