Night fishing

Stuart Crawford

Reaction score
Hey.

I have just tunred 16 and i was thinking about night fishing with a friend.

So. Is there any general rule for fishing at night nationaly or anything like that?

My situation is: Im 16, so i have to pay for adult prices...so am i permitted to fish by the adult rules? I SURE HOPE SO!! /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

So in all my question is, for insurance stuff etc....do i need to be 18 to fish lone? or can i fish at 16 lone?

thanks

Stuart Crawford

karl emmerson

Reaction score
i have been night fishing now for years and its a different word at night and fishing results can be astounding.

there are few rule's to night fishing staying warm in the cooler month's is esential so extra clothing and a good sleeping bag is important. keep all your gear tidy and were you know it is as you will need certain items at night and make sure you have a night light at hand.

good luck and tightlines

Stuart Crawford

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>karl emmerson wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

i have been night fishing now for years and its a different word at night and fishing results can be astounding.

there are few rule's to night fishing staying warm in the cooler month's is esential so extra clothing and a good sleeping bag is important. keep all your gear tidy and were you know it is as you will need certain items at night and make sure you have a night light at hand.

good luck and tightlines</blockquote>
ok...but my question was...will i be aloud to fish there at night with my friend at 16? not 18? eventhough i pay adult prices etc..

Specihunter

Reaction score
Idon't think you can stuart most commercials don't allow under 18s due to insurance, plus they may have had problems with under 18s(don't have ago at me but ifished 1 water banned under 18s due to an incident which invloved the police).Club waters may be different but only if its baliffed properly.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Stuart,

On some day ticket or club waters there may be rules about this: you might have to accompanied by an older angler or be prevted from doing so until the age of 18 or 21. There is no law as such. First thing to do therefore is approach the fishery owner/club secand ask; if he says no then respect it.

Sad though it might seem many clubs have had problems with younger anglers abusing night fishing generally due to drinking, causing a nuisance, inviting their non fishing mates onto the wateror endangering themselves. I speak from the experience of seeing these anglers hauled in front of club committees with good reason and getting banned.

Reaction score
It depends on the water, waters near me (bristol+west area) vary, so it is best to ring up before to ask. If you are paying adult prices, you should fish under adult rules.

Just be sensible during your stay this time of year because it can get very cold quite quickly.

And be good while your their (don't know whether you are a drinker / smoker) but its best to steer clear of these whilst night fishing at your age..

Good luck if you decide to go

Ryan

Stuart Crawford

Reaction score
Ok thanks! So now i know its different for all if not most clubs. Personally me and my friend are not loud or drink (not while fishing anyway) or smoke (at all).

I am a member of my local...im going there soon for a day so i guess i will just have to ask. /forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif

If i can i will be looking out for some warm clothes this winter /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Stuart,

If you are a member of your local club, there should be something in the rule book regarding night fishing and ages.

The clubs i am a member of you cant night fish until you are 17 years old, you can go with a Senior member if you areunder the age of 17, but must fish in the next swim.

Its nothing against junior members, its all about insurance at the end of the day, things have changed, there wasnt any rules like this when i was your age.

Yes i am now an old b*gg*r, but not in mind/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

B

Bill Cox

My club is the same, under 18's must be accompanied by an adult member and fish in the next or same swim.

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

Why the big rush to night fish? You'll only bivvy up and go to sleep.

I do it myself, but that is only so I can be on the water at first light if I am travelling any distance. Most productive times are Sunset and Sunrise.

Reaction score
Stuart,

Something to read during your lessons! Stop it and get on with your work, this is your GCSE year and you must work hard every waking second - otherwise you won't achieve your full potential AND much more importantly your poor teachers and school may get clobbered as they don't hit their targets, deliver a poor contextual value added and drop down the league tables (bit like Spurs /forum/smilies/sad_smiley.gif)

NOw night fishing - wise words from Baz...do you need to fish all night...fishing for the first couple of hours after dusk and/or the hour before dawn through into the early morning may be better.

Safety is paramount - avoid swims which drop instantly into deep water unless you are totally confident on the water - and if you are then you're probably unsafe as complacency sets in. Let people know precisely where you are and when you will return. Take a mobile - for use in emergencies nt 4 txtng yr m8s!

Check the rules - as stated

Clothing - warm clothing is essential even in high summer - it can get bl**dy cold even on summer dawns

Now get on with your work - those coursework deadlines always arrive sooner than you think!!

Poshers

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

Try this little experiment on yourself Stuart.

Weekends.

Make the effort to fish at Sunrise and Sunset until you are old enough for a night permit card. Make a note of what you catch and at what times during the next year or two.

When you do get your night permit card, then make a note of what you catch during the night. Then compare the two.

You will learn an awful lot during your Sunrise and Sunset fishing times. Night fishing is not all as trumped up as we are led to believe.

C

Colin North, the one and only

Alternatively, don't tell them you're 16.

All the advice you have received appears to assume that you are fishing on privately owned or controlled water. If where you fish is not day ticket, assuming there are no local bye laws in place, I would have thought that you could fish all night, if that's what you want to do.

I've seen youngsters of 12 or 14 fishing all night on Deal Peir, for example.

Stuart Crawford

Reaction score
ok, well ive read my locasl rules and they state the following:

Night Fishing
This must be booked and paid for a minimum of 24 hours in advance.....blah....blah....blah booking etc........Juniors of 12 years and over are allowed but must be accompanied by an adult on a one to one basis. (Juniors are12-15by the way)

Though when you are 16 you have to pay for an adults price. I do have a Jr. disclaimer thing. Basically to cover their a*ss from me sueing. So adult prices though not adult advantages?

By the way the only reason i want to go night fishing is for the experience...its all well and good saying no point just fish in the day. Thoughi want to try different things etc. I cant knock it till i try it! /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Reaction score
Colin North, the one and only wrote (see)<blockquote class=quote>

I've seen youngsters of 12 or 14 fishing all night on Deal Peir, for example.</blockquote>

Yes Colin, but Deal folk make people from Dover seem almost normal! We always tried to run them out of town when I lived in Maidstone - and my dad assures me the same high standards apply in Herne Bay /forum/smilies/eye_rolling_smiley.gif

Reaction score
Stuart

I fished all night quite a few times at your age...my lasting memory is of cold and eels!

Then started to get up at 3.00am and then walk to local river or lake - result less cold and less eels...and more tench, carp roach,etc etc

(Although this did produce the odd scary moment when gentlemen of the road used to appear out of the gloom, heading towards the hostel at Teston - and on moonlit nights the white marble cross in the graveyard at St.Margarets, Barming could be seen a long way off!)

C

Colin North, the one and only

<blockquote class=quoteheader>PoshPaul (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Stuart

I fished all night quite a few times at your age...my lasting memory is of cold and eels!

Then started to get up at 3.00am and then walk to local river or lake - result less cold and less eels...and more tench, carp roach,etc etc

(Although this did produce the odd scary moment when gentlemen of the road used to appear out of the gloom, heading towards the hostel at Teston - and on moonlit nights the white marble cross in the graveyard at St.Margarets, Barming could be seen a long way off!)</blockquote>
I used to fish at Balming too at that age, with my old mate Bill Formoy. My abiding memory of those days was that it always seemed to rain in the middle of the night, big rats, likes small donkeys, Bill's lantern falling in the river and staying alight for several hours. Oh what fun.

NIGE K

Reaction score
stuart night fishings alright it can be good funbut like everyone says wrap up warm and be careful.