How effective are pellet feeders ?

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Has anyone used them ? Its an enclosed method feeder ,the idea being the fish has only one route to the pellets and your bait is right in the way as opposed to a method feeder where the bait might lie to one side for instance.

i bought a couple today going to give them a try tomorrow whoop whoop !

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I would say they convert more bites , they are not perfect though , you have to get the pellets just a bit sticky , other baits get stuck ( I could have used a larger size ).

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
In reply to your original question Benny, they are brilliant on waters which ban method feeders, they're virtually the same thing.....:confused:

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Peter the web site is out of date on the complex I usually fish , I checked today , free running method feeders are allowed :)

denzinho

Reaction score
I also have been looking at fishing this method recently. I would love to hear some feedback from a pro on what to and not what to do. It looks as if you cant fail with that pull round from the quiver tip.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
The method that is having most success at the moment is to hair rig a dry 6m expander pellet ( straight out of the bag) . Either band or lasso it on an appropriate sized hook tied to 4" of mono. One inch of this will be inside the pellet feeder so 3" will be in front of the feeder. Fill the feeder with dampened micros, don't pack them in too hard or they'll stick, then attach 2 no8 shots together about an inch from the hook. This will allow the pellet to pop-up.
As Benny pointed out the carp can only approach the feeder from the front and as it goes in to suck out the micros the buoyant pellet and hook will be sucked in too.. Wait for the bolt effect and the tip to go round positively, don't strike! Sit on your hands if need be.
Worth experimenting with in the kitchen sink first to get an idea how quickly the micros spill out and how the bait sits just above them....

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I think one key is to only soak the pellets enough to make them slightly sticky so for 4 mills cover. For a minute and then drain then wait 15 minutes as Peter suggests experiment.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Thanks never heard of those !
The worry is always that the pellets dissipate to quickly and in mid water and you have to cast accurately if you want to catch more than one or two fish.

dead peg

Reaction score
Good info .Ive only used the drennan pellet feeders recently , mainly in deeper waters were micros on the method feeder is not suitable due to the depth .
As long as your feed pellets are spongy you can pack them in quite tight cos the pressure at depth forces water through the holes in the feeder and small air gaps in the feed and the pushes the pellets out .
You probably get less line bites than the method as well cos the fish can only feed from one side of the feeder .