Source of cheap betaine?

robtherake

Reaction score
Betaine from bait suppliers (or health stores) seems to be rather expensive. I know it can be had from animal feed suppliers, but I can't find any locally and didn't have much luck with a web search either. Does anyone know a cheap source or contact they can share?

robtherake

Reaction score
I must need to word my search better. The TMG available seems to be for health supplements and angling, with the usual huge mark-up.

laguna

Reaction score
I must need to word my search better. The TMG available seems to be for health supplements and angling, with the usual huge mark-up.
Yes its exactly the same organic compound sold by the angling industry - at huge mark-up... I was hinting at where you might be able to obtain it cheaply.

robtherake

Reaction score
Yes its exactly the same organic compound sold by the angling industry - at huge mark-up... I was hinting at where you might be able to obtain it cheaply.

Yeah, I got your hint, but unfortunately don't know anyone connected with the farming industry :confused: I'll have to ask around locally - there must be someone who knows someone...

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
I was tempted to suggest beetroot, but wikifying trimethyl glycine yielded this:
"TMG is an organic osmolyte that occurs in high concentrations (10s of millimolar) in many marine invertebrates, such as crustaceans and molluscs. It serves as a potent appetitive attractant to generalist carnivores such as the predatory sea-slug Pleurobranchaea californica.[5]"

So just whizzing up whatever shellfish the market-stall chap (or the supermarket) has to sell off cheap near the end of the day may well be the budget way forward.

Which saves me from embarrassing myself with a bright red, stain-all, catch-naught "Additive". Which is nice.

Afterthought: Chinese Oyster sauce???

Last edited:

rubio

Reaction score
Shrimp powder like they sprinkle seaweed in them restaurants

kevt

Reaction score
Hi

I'm sure someone will pick me up on this is I'm wrong, but I believe Molasses contains betaine plus other important vitamins minerals that have been used for years by anglers in groundbait especially for bream. I bought a 5 litre tub for £12 and it's lasted ages, not sure if it's improved my catch rates but it all adds to confidence and that's important to be confident with your method and baits and of course plenty of water craft

KevT:)

robtherake

Reaction score
I was tempted to suggest beetroot, but wikifying trimethyl glycine yielded this:
"TMG is an organic osmolyte that occurs in high concentrations (10s of millimolar) in many marine invertebrates, such as crustaceans and molluscs. It serves as a potent appetitive attractant to generalist carnivores such as the predatory sea-slug Pleurobranchaea californica.[5]"

So just whizzing up whatever shellfish the market-stall chap (or the supermarket) has to sell off cheap near the end of the day may well be the budget way forward.

Which saves me from embarrassing myself with a bright red, stain-all, catch-naught "Additive". Which is nice.

Afterthought: Chinese Oyster sauce???

Interesting thoughts, although it's easy to imagine it working simply because of the fishy aroma, rather than the presence of betaine/TMG. WRT the oyster sauce, I've had good results from using Thai fish sauce as a bait soak and groundbait additive - no doubt the oyster sauce would be just as good.