free fishing in notts

grizzlebear

Reaction score
Hi all, ive just been given some fishing gear but havent been fishing for 20 years. I used to fish trent lock in sawley by the pubs. It was free fishing in them days. Id love to go back but how do i find out if its still free fishing. Or is there anywhere else local?

cal_sutt

Reaction score
Where abouts in Notts are you living? If you are willing to travel up to Retford in North Notts then the River Idle all the way through the town is free to fish, no day tickets or clubs or anything. It's a great stretch of river holding some great fish; barbel into double figures, big chub to about 6lb, roach and perch well over the 1lb mark... There's even some double figure river carp here and. there as well as the odd big bream and there's even a few high-double pike. Great river for its size, honestly can't find a reason to fault it.

grizzlebear

Reaction score
Im in long eaton but it might be worth a ride out. Could you give me a road name near where i want to be (park).

B

binka

If you think you might be doing a few outings it might be worth considering a Notts AA book, a good selection of waters and many which are local to you for the grand sum of £44 (includes initial £10 joining fee).

I know you asked for free fishing but a fairly modest cost like this is quite easy to recoup on travel costs depending on how far you might be thinking of travelling to other waters...

Home

cal_sutt

Reaction score
Im in long eaton but it might be worth a ride out. Could you give me a road name near where i want to be (park).

You can park in the Asda overflow as some of the better (and easier) spots to fish are in the middle of town however the overflow car park is usually full from around 9am but if you get in before the work rush you'll be fine.

Just drop me a message on here as I check the forums daily, I'll point you in the right direction don't you worry! :D

grizzlebear

Reaction score
Just to update, i had a little trip to trent lock today and there were a few people fishing. Its still free along the stretch of concrete bank by the pubs.
Im going to go next weekend and drown a few maggots.