BSafe – A New Generation of Fish-Safe Nets

B

binka

It sounds like clever stuff and definitely a step in the right direction as far as fish welfare goes, I wonder if this will be the biggest turning point in nets since knotted mesh?

On the one hand I can see commie owners insisting on it, and for very good reasons too in relation to their own interests but on the other hand will they turn people away for not having a BSafe net and take the hit on the lost revenue?

Maybe the lost revenue will balance out against fewer fish mortalities?

Perhaps a sensible way forward would be to make it compulsory for all manufacturers to use this or a similar type of material and phase it in within the natural replacement cycle of existing nets so as not to put too much of an additional cost burden on the angler?

Either way I reckon someone's gonna do very nicely out of it :)

I'm not going on a cost issue but out of interest does anyone know what, if any additional cost this will put on net prices?

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
I'd like to know a bit more about how this kills the bacteria and how toxic it is. Does it kill 99% of all bacteria? A large proportion of bacteria is not only beneficial but essential to the environment. What else does it kill?

I'm also a bit sceptical that it can be everlasting but am open to convincing.

Although I use a landing net, I haven't owned a keepnet for over 25yrs, the reason I stopped using them was the skin/scale damage caused by them. I would assume that it is the keepnet that is the main culprit, if so, unless you are fishing a match, don't use one.

Binka, of course somebody will make a few Shekels out of it if successful, it's only profit or war that drives innovation! If it really makes a difference, they should.

Stu

sam vimes

Reaction score
Fair play to someone trying something new. However, the folks that are likely to suffer, and therefore those most likely to insist on their use, are the commercial fisheries. There is a much simpler solution for them, buy a load of their own nets and insist that people use them and leave their own at home. That way, Joe Average will not get caught out when visiting a new venue. He'll not feel like this is just another way of extracting cash from him. Fisheries will get a genuine level of bio-security.

If fishery owners really care enough to insist on people using this new net material, they should have little problem in caring enough to provide fishery owned nets. Unfortunately, I can see the former happening, but not the latter.

The bad one

Reaction score
In principle it could be a good idea, accepting Stu’s cautionary note, but what I do find strange are the two claims made in the article. “Kills 99% of all bacteria,” “and in laboratory tests.”

Bactericide, which is used against bacteria, is as far as I know of little use against a virus. Bacteria are single celled organisms and can survive on their own. Viruses are not celled and can’t survive on their own. The Trust being correct to point it out at the end of their statement -
“The BSafe technology is available now but it should be noted that the claimed prevention of bacterial transfer will not prevent the spread of deadly viral fish diseases such as SCMS, SVC and KHV, the latter of which is currently causing carp kills on a number of UK waters.”

I’d like to see the full peer reviewed paper that acompany’s the claim that it kills 99% in lab tests. Sounds a bit like the Ads on telly… Kills 99% of all germs. Then the follow up papers of tests in the real world. And as Stu points out the environmental impact studies that it’s safe.

The other way of course that's recommended by the EA and CEFAS is to dry all nets in strong sunlight for a few hours

Last edited:

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
The other way of course that's recommended by the EA and CEFAS is to dry all nets in strong sunlight for a few hours
Simples!:) and a lot cheaper. No chance of the law of unintended consequences coming in to play either.

Stu

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"The BSafe technology is available now but it should be noted that the claimed prevention of bacterial transfer will not prevent the spread of deadly viral fish diseases such as SCMS, SVC and KHV, the latter of which is currently causing carp kills on a number of UK waters.”

As it says, KHV, SCMS and SCV are both viral infections so anti-bacterial nets, (if proven to actually work) will have no effect whatsoever . . . . . . . . Personally I'll stick to the tried and tested method of air drying my nets and will certainly not be buying a whole new set.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
This a as much a question as anything else as I am ignorant of the facts. But, cannot bacteria and viruses survive drying out. They just close down, retain enough moisture to stay alive and then when they find themselves in a benign moist environment again come alive. They survive thousands of years in deep ice and even space I believe.
Would just drying out a landing net be enough?

barbelboi

Reaction score
This a as much a question as anything else as I am ignorant of the facts. But, cannot bacteria and viruses survive drying out. They just close down, retain enough moisture to stay alive and then when they find themselves in a benign moist environment again come alive. They survive thousands of years in deep ice and even space I believe.

The Environment Agency state -
“There are two main ways of disinfecting fishing tackle. The first is to thoroughly dry equipment after fishing, preferably in direct sunlight. If this is not practical, then a chemical disinfectant can be used”.
“ If net dips are used on site to disinfect nets, make sure the chemicals are fresh and that anglers use them correctly. exposure time of at least 15 minutes is required. After 15 minutes the equipment can be rinsed in a separate tank of clean water.”

The bad one

Reaction score
Mark in simple terms yes “some” bacteria can survive in the conditions you’ve described because they are cellular. A living organism if you like.
Viruses can’t they need a host cell to be parasitic on and multiply or they die quite rapidly.
Most fish diseases are viral not bacterial, so I really can’t see the point of producing a bacterial net to attempt to combat viral diseases using a built in bactericide.

As to sunlight killing both bacteria and viruses that are harmful to fish – Viruses as I’ve said die rapidly if they don’t find a host. So they are dead and cause no further problems when net are dried out.
Bacteria can live on, on wet nets for sometime, but if dried in strong sunlight, the UV rays and the desiccation process kills them. That is established scientific fact by CEFAS tested over many years and many experiments.

What many don’t know is that the tap water and bottled water we drink is sanitised by UV light before it reaches us. As its one of the best known ways to man of killing harmful bacteria. The other way is to add chlorine to it.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I just get the missus to give them that look.

That's a relief, I thought it was just mine; she can lay waste to a whole planet with "THAT" look. Still, at least they cant organize themselves into a cohesive group, small mercies.

---------- Post added at 15:06 ---------- Previous post was at 15:00 ----------

Mark in simple terms yes “some” bacteria can survive in the conditions you’ve described because they are cellular. A living organism if you like.
Viruses can’t they need a host cell to be parasitic on and multiply or they die quite rapidly.
Most fish diseases are viral not bacterial, so I really can’t see the point of producing a bacterial net to attempt to combat viral diseases using a built in bactericide.

As to sunlight killing both bacteria and viruses that are harmful to fish – Viruses as I’ve said die rapidly if they don’t find a host. So they are dead and cause no further problems when net are dried out.
Bacteria can live on, on wet nets for sometime, but if dried in strong sunlight, the UV rays and the desiccation process kills them. That is established scientific fact by CEFAS tested over many years and many experiments.

What many don’t know is that the tap water and bottled water we drink is sanitised by UV light before it reaches us. As its one of the best known ways to man of killing harmful bacteria. The other way is to add chlorine to it.

Cheers Badone, I'm alright though, I have a bucket and just put a little bleach in it with some water and soak the net for ten minutes and then rinse it out under the tap. Not too much bleach though as I read this can rot the material. I assume this is OK, always smells right afterwards. I don't know if it kills viruses though?

Last edited: