Owen Paterson Sacked!

P

pointngo

It looks like the idiotic environment secretary has been sacked at long last. :thumbs:

The man's ignorance is only matched by his stupidity so lets hope his replacement, Liz Truss, is more open to sustainable solutions and actually does something about our abysmal flood strategy.

floatfish

Reaction score
It looks like the idiotic environment secretary has been sacked at long last. :thumbs:

The man's ignorance is only matched by his stupidity so lets hope his replacement, Liz Truss, is more open to sustainable solutions and actually does something about our abysmal flood strategy.

For that to happen Government Strategy/targets will need to change.
Will this happen, only time will tell.!

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Land Rover Discovery?

Indian!

[ame=http://youtu.be/Ln5QgeCL1fs]Mr 'Everything Comes From India' scenes (Goodness Gracious Me) - YouTube[/ame]

The bad one

Reaction score
The Badgers did him :D:D:D

As to Lizzy, her Bio doesn’t inspire me :mad: she’s gone from left of Che Guevara to right of Genghis Kahn. Picking up the title of Economist (A guesstimator bean counter) in her passage through dialectical materialism.
Employed by big oil (Sorry Peter) and Cable and Wireless. Nothing corporate there then eh! but here have some fraking licenses to be going on with:eek:
I fear the environment might well be Trussed up like a kipper under her tenure.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I recall having met her when she was at Shell and still relatively quite young. She had a good business head on her shoulders even then.

So, I'll with hold judgement until she has had time to get her feet under the table and wait to see how she deals with one of the most underfunded and yet environmentally important realms of government.

mick b

Reaction score
Come on guys, these 'ministers' are just political mouthpieces shovelled around like chess pieces on a board trying not to loose the next election, while attempting to satisfy those who fund (and dictate the course of) the party.

The political agenda is set well before any election by the men in grey suits from large companies lurking behind the scenes.
It has to be that way or election donations wouldn't exist.

When an unexpected problem arises that requires clear unrehearsed thought and true statesmanship eg: MH17 they are completely lost.

:eek:mg:

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
This idiot was the worst Env Sec since Nicholas Ridley (RIP). In this role you would expect a minister to stand up for environmental issues, not work to ignore them. There was a time, many years ago now, when env issues were supposed to be taken seriously in all aspects of govt. That no longer applies but i think it was a pity that H&S bureaucracy or Criminals Rights didnt get trimmed along the way instead.

justabitpikey

Reaction score
I'm going to chuck a spanner in the works and say that I actually rated the bloke.
Reason being that as already mentioned all that politicians seem to want to do is please people into voting for them. Unfortunately the majority live in urban areas making such a job as environmental secretary very difficult as with issues such as badger culling. Here a lot of the opposition from Joe public is sentiment driven, which really shouldn't come into things.
I think he lost his job because he was losing the votes of the urban population due to their opposition to some of his policies, which were formulated with the rural population in mind, most of whom understand why sometimes cute fluffy animals need to be shown the nasty end of a firearm.

Plus cut the bees some slack, too - https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/page/s/liz-truss-please-protect-our-bees#petition

To bee or not to bee, some "Neonictinoids are a lot less work" farmers appear not to have even considered the question, which seems odds as many of their crops will ultimately fail without the ever-busy little flying jobs.

I'm going to have my say on this as well. As a beekeeper I am personally against the banning of neonicitinoids. There was a distinct lack of research and I believe the ban occurred mainly due to people hearing that it could be bad for bees and so jumping on the bandwagon without looking at the result of a ban. Now what will happen in a lot of cases is the sprays that are known to be bad for bees will be brought back into use. More important than what spray is used is how and when it is used.

I don't claim to be an expert on politics but that is just my view on things.

terry m

Reaction score
but i think it was a pity that H&S bureaucracy or Criminals Rights didnt get trimmed along the way instead.

I think if you get up to speed on Professor Löfstedt's report - Reclaiming Health & Safety for all -and associated recommendations, you may find that is exactly what is happening currently.