Can i use a marker rod to fish with

Simon Collins 3

Reaction score
Gent's, I wonder if any one can help me, I fish with Grey's prodigy 3lb TC rods and love them. I have been offered a greys prodigy marker rod for a good price but was wondering if i would be ok to use it as a third rod when i go to France next year. I plan on marking out my swims and then changing the set up to fish with it but am worried that if i hook into a big one, whether it will have the required action. This is really a cost saving to save me buying both rods (marker and third fishing).

Any help greatly appreciated

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
In a word Simon yes you can use a marker rod to fish with. Im not sure what TC the greys marker rods are but it wont be much over 3.5 lb and will be just right for fishing in France.

The Monk

Reaction score
before the days of purpose build marker rods, we used fishing rods as marker rods, I doubt if thetre would be much difference, especially for fishing in France. A lot of fishing tackle catches more anglers than fish anyway.

F

Frothey

you can, but trying to fish with the marker rod if you are using it as a marker as well can be a right pain. just buy a really cheap rod off fleabay.

The Monk

Reaction score
I still use an old cut down SS6 glass rod for a marker, it seems to do the job

F

Frothey

i was still using a rod that was the bottom half of a tricast er8-15 and top half of a daiwa akn amourphous up until not all that long ago!