stuck rod.

Waggydog

Reaction score
Hi to everyone, got a problem, bought a new Shimanotravel rod, well pleased, only problem is I have put it together for the 1st time and 2 sections are stuck, anyone know any tricks to get them apart, not much of a travel rod if it stuck together!

Reaction score
Right Then, Be Very Careful, Get two elastic bands around the two offending sections(One Each Section) and wrap them around you can use more if you need to ...

NOTE: the Big flat bands work best) , (This adds a lot more grip then you would think)

...then pull and twist at the same time, This usually solves the problem, (Bike inner tubes also work)

Ryan

If that doesn't work then say and i will get you to try something else GOOD LUCK.

Waggydog

Reaction score
Thanks Ryan, will try tomorrow and let you know how i get on.

Thanks again.

Waggydog

Reaction score
Hi Ryan, could'nt wait it was winding me up, wrapped a pair of Marigolds around it, one section came apart, but can't shift the remaining one.

C

Cakey

you need three people

one on each end gripping the rod and pulling

third one in the middle moving the joint up and down

hope you understand me

we need a video someone !

Reaction score
We do indeed Cakey, maybe one day i will make one.

It seems one of the most common threads I read on forums and in the shop along with what pole for ?XXX

Ryan

(PS Using rubber bands for grip is useful for anything especially when packing up after a hard day on the breakwater / rocks when other people aren't there......)

Waggydog

Reaction score
I think I've been to that club, but my rod is still stuck.

Cheers Cakey.

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
Try putting the affected sections somewhere cold.
Had same trouble with shimano feeder rod with extended butt section, could not part it from handle to fish at shorter length. I fished at full length and when packing up it parted no problem. The same then happened on a shimano match rod, again the extension stuck to the handle, left it in the garage for 5 mins and it came away nice and easy.

W

Wolfman Woody

When I had one stuck once it was a mixture of the two above.

I wrapped a bag of frozen peas around the joint for about ten minutes, then I poured boiling water just over the female section. Came apart easily.

Sometimes, whilst two people are pulling both ends, tapping the joint with a knife handle will loosen it. Tap lightly but rapidly causing vibrations whilst playing the Beach Boys "Good Vibrations"

The music won't help release the joint, but it's a good piece anyway. /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0" width="425" height="350"><param name="src" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dEGmd-3Gg-s" /><param name="width" value="425" /><param name="height" value="350" /><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dEGmd-3Gg-s" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
Gosh takes me back that.

Reaction score
Get some bees wax and apply some on the joints of your rod. Not to much, just rub the bar of wax on them and your sections will never stick together.

Waggydog

Reaction score
Hi all, tried all of the suggestions so far without sucess, tried to email Shimano, not an easy company to get hold of, they suggested their local stockist, Rod still stuck. Ryan did you have another idea to share with me to solve this problem apart from sending it back?

Waggydog

Reaction score
Thanks to Woody forthe music, was right in the middle of my youth, wonderful!!

Reaction score
Other idea was the three (or two no tapping) one, Try ringing shimano felindre on this no and ask them for any ideas. 01792 796584

Ryan

W

Wolfman Woody

Last chance, this was designed to unstick pole sections. Can you rig up something similar?

A sharp downward knock might just do it. And this way, there's no pressure on the joint so it's free to come apart. I don't know what two sections are stuck, butif the lower one is teh handle there's a little more weight there to help it.