Hook Hairs with bait bands - shelf life

magicone

Reaction score
Decided to use a different size Hook hair with a band today and the band was perished and others in the packet. These were purchased in January and kept in a box and my tackle bag out of the sun/daylight.

So do these Hook Hair with pellet bands have a shelf life. ?

thanks

barbelboi

Reaction score
Decided to use a different size Hook hair with a band today and the band was perished and others in the packet. These were purchased in January and kept in a box and my tackle bag out of the sun/daylight.

So do these Hook Hair with pellet bands have a shelf life. ?

thanks

I always tie my own , but the bands are subsectable to sunlight so I ensure that they are in the darkest spot in my tackle box. Maybe they were kept for too long in the wrong place prior to purchase..............

B

binka

I've often wondered the same?

I use Korum and tend to find that the bands can sometimes be a bit brittle and prone to snapping well before they should once stretched... I have had some for far longer than January that are fine though, I reckon it could well be more of a batch/quality consistency problem.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Didn't want to name, but these were Korum's.

I got some loose bands which I use to make my hairs which are a dark brown colour and they are fine, also older too.

I use these, take them out of the cylinder they come in, and transfer them to a compartment box out of direct light. Never had a problem and it takes quite a time to get through them all..............
Gardner Latex Bait Bands

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever had a problem with bait bands snapping other than with a fair bit of use.

I tie mine and keep them in a Preston hook length box and some of those in there must be a year old if not more.

I just had a look at then and they seem to be fine.

magicone

Reaction score
These hook bands are from a flat packet and are kept out of daylight all year round.

These perished like a rubber band when taken out of the packet and used. I took off the old, put my own on which are few years old and as good as the day purchased.

It must either be the material used or stocked for along time in the tackle shop, even then the shelf is totally out of sunlight.

Either way, shall not use them anymore.

Thanks for your replies.