east anglian rod company

R

Ross Turner

Has anyone have any information on the east anglian rod company. I`ve come across 12` match rod three piece with threaded tip ring to take a swing/quiver tip,& would like any info on the make.Thank you.

P

Phil Hackett

All I can tell you is that they made good quality rods from the late 1960s to about 1980. Then the vanished of the market.

R

Ross Turner

Thanx phil,are they worth anything,is there any other members with info on them.

R

Richard Drayson

I can remember the name from the 1970's.
Most (if not all) of their rods were made from glass and are unlikely to be worth much money.

R

Ross Turner

Thanx richard,has any member know what rods they made by specifacation,ie line rating,casting weight etc.

K

Kevan Farmer

Ross. The East Anglian Rod Co. were one of the finest rod makers from the 60's through to the early 80's. They were absorbed into the Leeda group. I don't have a great deal of information on their range but I do still own one of their match rods myself. It is the 12' Tipster. Mine suffered a slight break at the tip many years ago but it is still servicable though quite heavy by today's standards. They made very good long lasting and tough rods. I believe Leeda took the company over before they released any carbon rods so go by that timescale. It is possible that your rod has had a tip ring fitted by a third party as I do not recall any 12' avon or ledger rods of that length at the time. What colour is the blank? If it is a metallic blue green it stands a chance of being in the Tipster range.

Kevan

R

Ross Turner

Kevan,thanks for that info,the rod colour is mustardy brown/orange.The butt section has no rings,the middle section has 3 high stand off rings,top section has 5 high stand off rings & a lined screw tip ring. The handle is of corkis about 2` long with metal sliding reel fittings.The rod has no markings on it but comes in a blue east anglian rod company ltd rod bag.I hope this discription will help anyone who might hav any other info.thanks for all the help lads.Ross

K

Kevan Farmer

From your description of the rings it does sound more like a float/match rod; I could of course be wrong though. Normally the EA Rod Co. had a diamond shaped logo on the butt section just forward of the corks on the top. Obviously over time this 'transfer' would rub off or otherwise deteriorate but mine is till visible on a rod that is now approx' 25 years old. I cannot think of any other distinguishing features that might identify it.

Have you tried fishing with it?

Kevan

R

Ross Turner

Kevan,Yes,last summer and found it very heavy compared to my carbon rods,My lass`s brother owns it & is thinking of selling it,so how much do you think i should pay for it.

K

Kevan Farmer

Ross that's a very difficult one. It's only worht as much as the next person is willing to pay for it. Ok you say it's heavy so think of using it all day. It may be a strain unless you keep it in rests most of the time. Is it worth much to you? I very much doubt whether it will ever become one of those classic rods that gains in value year after year. IMHO I would not be willing to pay much for it myself. Perhaps a fiver?

Kevan

Paul Cartwright 3

Reaction score
I dont know much about the east anglian rod co, but i as a young lad from HullI was fortunate enough to be given a 12ft nimrod surfcaster multiplier rod by a old boy wanting to help a novice andI am still catching fish with it today and a damned good rod too. /forum/smilies/hot_smiley.gif

Day Breamer

Reaction score
I used to have a 10 ft East Anglian glass fibre rod in the early 80's, it may have had a threaded tip but i cant be sure.

What i do remember is that it had a full cork handle, was greeny/grey in colour and was quite heavy and thick, was a nice rod to learn with.

fred hall

Reaction score
Yes Paul, it did have a threaded tip ring and the other top had a built in quiver, well at least the one I had possessed these attributes. I seem to recall buying mine in the early 70's and quite a few fish I caught using it. I particularly enjoyed using it with a swing tip but it must be said that it wasn't a patch on a decent modern quivertip rod.
PS I do like using a swing tip because it is sensitive and it seems to tell you when is the moment to strike. However I rarely set one up these days because my casting with one is very limited and the lakes I fish regularly are very deep in places. Is anyone out there still a devotee and if so have you any tips (pun intended) particularly re casting?

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Still like to use a swing tip, but not as much as i used to. As for casting, i do and always have cast overhead. i have found that the swing tips you can buy today work better than the older models. A great way to fish, and an art that is not used much today.

Day Breamer

Reaction score
Regarding swingtips, i use a butt end clip on swingtip, you can remove it from the line to cast out/play fish, then just clip it back over the line via a small cut in the eye.

Mine was shop bought, im sure you can get them still, maybe a good idea to do a google for butt end swing tips, they are excellent are not affected by the wind so much either.

Edit:

Try this...

http://www.jackfish.net/acatalog/Fishing_Tackle_Swing_Tips___Quiver_Tips___Butt_Indicators_37.html

Thats just one example (the top one isvery similar to what i use) very cheap and highly effective.

That was just one website, im sure many others do them, butt indicator came up in the search, maybe alsosearch forbutt end indicator and similar things.

Julian Pardoe

Reaction score
Re thethread on East Anglian Rod Co Ltd. (EAR) The company was formed in 1966 when my father & I bought the bankrupt company of RC Kirk Ltd in East Molsey & moved Bob Kirk & his machinery up toWymondham in Norfolk with the idea of selling rods justin East Anglia. Hence the name. 1966 was before Carbon Fibre had been invented, and most of our blanks came from Lerc in France, Sportex in Germany & Fibatube, which was the blank making division of Hardys of Alnwick. We made for coarse, sea & game fishing &, at our peak, production reached about 12000 rods per annum.

In themid 70smoderate quality glass rods started to be imported from South Korea. Quality quickly improved & we found it harder & harder to compete. We started to import from Korea ourselves & our UK production declined & we ceased our own production in about 1985.Meanwhile EAR had become general wholesalers & were now suppling tackle shops throughout the UK & exporting to 32 countries. Sales were over £7m in1989 whenwe sold the company to Porter Chadburn plc, who then bought Taylor & Johnson. Steades & Leeda. All 4 companies were put into one group, called Leeda.This is how Leeda as you now know it came into being. I could provide much more history & detail if readers are interested.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Julian didn't you used to have a warehouse at Style Loke, Barford. I think you did as we looked at buying the bungalow next to it.

Julian Pardoe

Reaction score
Yes we did. We quickly out-grew the original site & bought the 1.75 acre approx site at Barford on which we built our warehouse & usedan existing building as the rod factory until westopped UK production &and sourced all our EAR brand rods in Korea &Taiwan.

After we stopped production in the UK we distibuted rods branded by Normark, DAM, Mitchell & others. As the warehouse grew larger & so did the lorries, we were a bit of a blot on the village. I am glad to see the site is now covered in houses, which is far better useage!

The bad one

Reaction score
Julian Thank you very much for the potted history of EAR, could I suggest you write a full article on the history of the company for publication on here.

As you'll appreciate companies that made fishing tackle and are no longer with us become part of folklore, misrepresentation and at time dammed right untruths.

As someone who has more than a passing interest in "living history" for its academic and intrinsic value, and your firsthand experience in the company isjust that.I and many others on here would find such a historically accurate article invaluable and fascinating.

I would therefore encourage you to write such a piece.

ThankPhil Hackett

PS you don't get paid in money terms for writing articles on this site, but you might get some tackle for it .... You might even get some spools of KystonIncognito for testing/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif