SURFACE FISHING REEDS HELP

GertR

Reaction score
Morning.

I need advise again please.

Are still on the same water since yearly September Ledgering.

But have found now that when the weather turns foul and they go quit on the lead that we are catching big uns from the surface with breadcrust right in the reeds.

But what i would like to know is what line streng should we use for this. Are currently on 7LB and getting 11 pounders out of the reeds and now and then taking a swim too but yesterday afternoon there was some seriously big uns picking us up there and the line is just not doing the Job. We also do not want to loose or injure any fish.

Would 10lb line do the job ????

Nathan

Reaction score
If you had reeds there i'd possibly go stronger than 10lb, maybe 12-15lb would be better? You need to be get the fish away from the reeds & if you now catching big'uns you'll need every oz of the extra strength!

GertR

Reaction score
I am fishing right in the reeds and will not be using a controler float would 15 pound still float?
Know this is maybe stupid questions but will rather ask before bying anything. Thanks

Nathan

Reaction score
You can make your line float by greasing it with vaseline but leave the last 3ft or so by the hook.

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
One of those flavoured chap sticks does the job as a line floatant. If your out in the bush and cant get any then try ear wax it will make your line float and it will waterproof your matches too.

The Monk

Reaction score
fish from the weed side, 20 lb line, get a lilly pad, thread the line through the pad, and pull a worm tight to the underside, cast the lot into the weed, I`ve found if you strike into the weed the carp will run in the opposite direction

KAR

Reaction score
I use 14lb on weedy ponds because I always cast right next to the reed to get the bait near the fish and then you need to bully them out of it. So strong line and a tight clutch has done it for me.

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Monk this sounds good but in practice I've found it near impossible to cast a lily pad effectively. Any tips?

The Monk

Reaction score
Hi Christian, no you cant, you need to drop in it and walk back, its esential a stalking methodology for tenters, an old termonology

steven upton

Reaction score
forget the lilly pad use a piece of stick with 2 elastic bands you can go as short as a3inch hooklink and ive had em to 26.10 use vaseline to make the line float, if your freelining try to hang the line over a reed or even straight down from the rod tip carp can be very thick sometimes/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif