The disease

cal_sutt

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that the disease I'm talking about won't be the first that springs to mind for all, but I can assure you that most (if not all) of us have got it. It's currently got no official name but is known informally as "making excuses to buy every length, type, test curve rod on the market" disease. Main symptoms include spending extensive amounts of time looking at various different rods in catalogues and on the internet as well as justifying to yourself that you have definitely got a situation/reason to use the rod in.

I first realised I had the disease merely a few months ago after realising I'd spent around 4 hours one night on various different websites, literally just looking at rods. The worst thing was, I noticed it and laughed a bit but carried on for a short period of time but then... I realised that I was justifying a use for near enough every rod I saw!

It's been a tough couple of months suffering with the disease, but I've managed to soldier throught it. The worst thing has been the fishing as I am limited to either a carp rod or a fcheap and sh*tty float rod, therefore I've been looking on the internet at feeder rods, match rods, avon quivers, barbel rods, wands etc etc BUT, I think I may know the cure to my problem. As we're still in the front-end of river season I've, obviously, been doing a lot of river fishing - mostly for barbel - so I've swayed to buying a barbel rod first. This being the Korum 1.75lb and I've had a good think, I reckon I can cover a good amount of the fishing I do with the barbel rod; obviously including river fishing but I could do some commercial ledger and feeder fishing too. But - what about fishing the pellet waggler on the barbel rod? Could it be done? If so, the barbel rod is my cure!

greenie62

Reaction score
I first realised I had the disease merely a few months ago after realising I'd spent around 4 hours one night on various different websites, literally just looking at rods. The worst thing was, I noticed it and laughed a bit but carried on for a short period of time but then... I realised that I was justifying a use for near enough every rod I saw!

Hi Cal - Sorry but can't help you until you acknowledge that this isn't a disease but a symptom of Mental Illness.
Your attempts to invite us into your psychosis are feeble attempts to validate your illness and 'spread the blame'! :eek:

Collectively, the forum should best help you by ignoring such pleas for validation and refuse to become involved in your sad plight. ;):(

I would recommend you find an alternative pastime - give up fishing and take up something therapeutic - like knitting! ;):rolleyes:

Best wishes for your speedy recovery.

sagalout

Reaction score
Have a look at poles......
I have full blown poleyetus. I think the worst of it is I decide I am better of without a pole (I prefer the fight on a light rod and line and less kit) so I sell the pole then a month or two later I start thinking "ooh that would be a good swim with a pole" or "ooh that's cheap", next thing you know the wallets out and I've got a new pole.

---------- Post added at 07:28 ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 ----------

what about fishing the pellet waggler on the barbel rod
Oviously it can be done but it isn't ideal, a pellet waggler rod is light and has a short handle, bear in mind that you should be casting every two minutes and the rod is constantly in your hand. I find that for the fishing I do the pellet waggler rod is a do everything rod, ledger, feeder, waggler and pellet waggler.

symonh2000

Reaction score
I have bought myself 6 different lure rods in he last 10 months.

Also a new Beachcaster and several reels.

I could probably have managed without them for sure, but hobbies are for spending money on and enjoying yourself. All things considered Fishing is a fairly cheap hobby compared to some.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I would recommend you find an alternative pastime - give up fishing and take up something therapeutic - like knitting! ;):rolleyes:

Best wishes for your speedy recovery.

Which needles?

greenie62

Reaction score
Which needles?

Try Aero 10's to start off with - a good, balanced needle at just the right length. Lidl are doing a special on 'circular pins' - ideal for knitting bobble hats! If you want to go the traditional purist route - try the wooden pins - these have a better grip and .... er ..... sorry .... does that sound a bit obsessive .... it's just that ever since taking up knitting I can't stop trying out new pins ..... er .... I think its getting to me! :eek:

Nurse, Nurse! :eek: I've dropped a stitch again! :eek:mg:

john step

Reaction score
Cal sut, I seem to remember advising you on a previous thread not to let your enthusiasm run away with your wallet.
Try this.. Take one rod and reel with just a pocket of bits, a landing net and a loaf of sliced bread and go for a wander around a lake or along a narrow river.

You will be amazed at what you catch and the cure will be complete.

I do understand the plight though. When trying to get my head around the specs of a new car or camera etc the wealth of detail and the reveiws can be so mind boggling that you can end up with your head up your own rear end. Best advice is to igore most of it and do what I said above.

---------- Post added at 13:55 ---------- Previous post was at 13:38 ----------

Have a look at poles......
That's like pouring petrol on a fire you naughty person:eek:

Last edited:

guest61

Reaction score
symonh2000;1305805 I have bought myself 6 different lure rods in he last 10 months said:
Hmmm... a four pack of Holstein Pils followed by a Vodka nightcap on Friday night after a hard week spurred me into buying a Major Craft skyroad lure rod...... to add to my already excessive collection (most of which I have only used a few times)

A lot of money for a bit of carbon (graphite?) :wh

roll on next pay day!