Angling Trust Launch Plans Announced

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
In spite of one or two misgivings I still think this is a very positive move forward for angling and can only make us stronger.

Greg Whitehead

Reaction score
I too can think of a few misgivings tooGraham. However, I'll be paying £400 for life membership asap(ie when I've negotiated a new loan!!!). I'd even go so far as saying everyone andanyone should join.

There's a lot staked on it, that's for sure.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I still have some misgivings as well Graham, especially around the 'levy' on the annual license, so I am afraid that I don't think I'll be signing up just yet.

I will wait and see how the 'levy' discussions go before making a final decision, as well as waiting to see what 'hooks' are there for potential individual membership.

Interestingly it seems that the ACA will be continuing as an independant but partially associated organisation.

Need more time to read the whole information though before making any knee-jerk reactions.

E

EC

I am glad it has finally come to fruition, just a question now of selling it to the masses and hopefullythings will go from strength to strength!

B

Bill Cox

Thats a good point EC but more important is selling the sport to the wider public, this body needs to be proactive not only reactive. I hope the first thing they do is employ a public relations team to promote and lobby on our behalf. This needs to be done from day one.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Well good luck to them.

But it wont be for me. Right away it is not Individual members only, and everyone seems to be in place already. So the governing body hasnt been elected by its' members, just by themselves.

I am for a governing body, but not like this, however iwill say good luck.

B

Bill Cox

The committee is known as the transition team Ray so i take it that means they will only handle the inaugural stages of the formation. One would hope that the members would elect the officers at the first AGM.

Reaction score
I have to say , I am surprised and a little saddened some of you are thinking about this merger in a negative way, I am as critical of something as the next man, but surely we should all wait and see EXACTLY what the various organisations have managed to produce?

What will it cost?

How will it work?

What plans are in place for massrecruitment?

What incentives are on offer?

How does oneseek election tothe new unified body? (if that is your ambition)

These, and many more questions remain to be answered,Iwill notmake a snap judgment based on a short press release, and urgeeveryone to wait and see, I passionately want this to be a huge success for the good of angling, there will inevitably have to be a little "give and take" thats how it is in the real world, but never lose sight of the main objective............ANGLING UNITY.

We all have the chance to help leave a little bit of angling history, a legacy if you like , for future generations of anglers,

The alternative?, more of the same!!!failure to support thiscomplicated and tricky phase is not a real option, not if you are passionate about the future of our great sport/pastime, so please, put aside your personal agenda and keep an open mind, it really is our only choice presently.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Bob,

I am probably as passionate as anyone about the future of the sport that I have enjoyed for over 40 years.

What I am not passionate about are things like a 'governing' body and a levy on the annual EA license.

Plain and simple, and certainly no personal 'agenda' at least not here!

"it really is our only choice presently." and the reason for that would be because it was the only option explored at the expense of any other?

I am not making any judgements until the full details are released. I am however very interested to see how the individual membership side will line-up in relation to the existing bodies.

Also, I want to wait and see if it will be possible to continue to support the ACA (whose work I also passionately believe in) on an individual basis rather than as a part of the collective.

Reaction score
Peter, there certainly are many,many questions that need to be answered, I can tell anyone that is interested this;

Two representatives from Angling Unity will be in the studios of Sky and Keith Arthur's "Tight Lines" show in earlyOctober, Keith posted this fact on the total fishing site the other day, the show allows the public to E-mail any questions they wish to askprior togoing on air, so the guests can/willreply, I think this is a fantastic opportunity for us all , to listen and then make a judgment, I will be tuning in!

I will find out thedetails and post them on here, but right now I MUST go to work, being self employed requires some discipline!

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

I'm pretty sure that anyone from outside of angling/fisheries following these threads will be laughing their socks off at people taking their bats/balls home.

There's a thought to beet the recession, set up a bat and ball business then everyone can take them home.

It's ANGLING for Gods sake. We are all passionate in our own way but come on, is £20 or so a year going to herald the end of civilisation??

OR you can all throw your £1/£2/£5/£0 or whatever was/is the 'going rate'at the NUBA/forum/smilies/i_dont_know_smiley.gifremember them /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

It has already been stated that the ACA, as with all other partners,will become the Angling Trust. Fish Legal (a part of Angling Trust) will undertake the legal work currently carried out by the ACA.

From January 2009 there will be onlyone single body, theAngling Trust.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
John,

It is not a case of taking the bat and ball home, but more one of waiting to see a results based organisation (Mark Lloyd's own words) undertaking those things that are important to each of us individually.

I am also firmly opposed to any form of a levy in order to be able to fish, so that is one very important issue to me, personally. I thought though that I read not too long ago that the EA are totally against this unconstitutional levy, so if that is the case then surely this issue is dead?

If this new body wants or needs funds to function properly then prove it to us ordinary anglers in tangible ways rather than instigate a levy system akin to those distasteful 'political levies' that were rife in the trades unions in the 60's and 70's!

I really don't care how much this organisation is going to cost, ?20, ?50 ?200? Its all the same to me, but what is important is not to be 'governed' but to see a results based organisation maintaining the previous good work of its' constituent bodies.

J

I'm sure the good work started by NAFAC will continue and become even more important in the years to come. The EA has shown it's 'commitment' to fisheries in the way it moved it's Head of Fisheries without an announcement, I believe the news leaked out via the Anglian region. They then compound the 'insult' by not even bothering to fill the vacancy left by Dafydd moving, presumably the department will struggle through.

Anglers and angling needs a strong unified body even more in the 21st. century, We all need to be saying a great big THANK YOU to those who have given their, freely, to get us thus far.

Ironic really, the bodies that could have carried on 'as is', the ACA, SAA and NAFAC are the main driving forces behind Unity. Very much like turkeys voting for Christmas.

My only concern is the very short 'window' from 20th October - 1st January 2009 to get things in place.

lobworm

Reaction score
I too have reservations, especially about one member one vote and some of the thingsMr Jacobs alludes to! However, I will join and support the proposalin the first instance and seehow things progress!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I think that's the key - join and give them the best chance to be successful. If then they don't run things in the way they should we can shout from inside, where our voices are louder, rather than from the outside.

By not joining and giving them the funds they need to run successfully is rather like not putting fuel in your car and moaning because it's won't run.

J

missed out 'time and experise' before freely. Too late to edit.

Thats what comes of having to put the bins out on a Tuesday/forum/smilies/sad_smiley.gif

The petrol bit brings back 'characters' On one of the many trips to the Tweed in the 70's one lad remarked when their car ran out of petrol,'if you'd gone faster we'd have got there before running out'

Logic somewhere

F

Fred Bonney

Couldn't agree more Graham.

I've said it many times before.If you are not inside, you will not be heard.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Until we see the various voting 'rights' bestowed on ordinary individual members Graham I am not prepared to make that leap of faith, especially given the past history of the past attempts.

It is nothing like not putting fuel into a car, I have to do that in order to run the car, I do not need to subscribe to any organisation until and unless they have proved their worth.

The old ACA did just that as an independent organisation, so I will wait to see how their work continues before I make any further donations or subscriptions.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
"I do not need to subscribe to any organisation until and unless they have proved their worth."

They can't prove their worth without funds Peter, so someone has to put their trust in them in the first place. And because we've been here so many times before with umpteen various attempts to unify the sport, and because this seems to be the best shot at it yet, I think we owe it to the sport of angling to give them the best chance we possibly can.