Shimano Big Baitrunner XT-A LC Reel

B

binka

Just wondering if anyone here is using one of these reels and what their opinion is, I particularly need strength as much as anything ... it seems to have a bit of a pedigree and there appears to be an updated model based on the highly acclaimed original.

It will be used in conjunction with a 5lb tc rod (not for carp) on powerful flowing rivers.

Any feedback would be very much appreciated, thanks :thumbs:

greenie62

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone here is using one of these reels and what their opinion is, I particularly need strength as much as anything ...
It will be used in conjunction with a 5lb tc rod (not for carp) on powerful flowing rivers.

Any feedback would be very much appreciated, thanks :thumbs:

Hey Binka,
Sounds like you are joining the Beachcaster brigade ;) - wouldn't an Abu Multiplier be more fitting? ;):rolleyes::eek:mg:
- And give you change to spend on a new chair! :D
:thumbs:

B

binka

Lol, I've had the idea of a multiplier recommended to me but just don't like the idea of it really... I'm not sure why because I've never used one.

greenie62

Reaction score
Biggest problem with a Multiplier for 'feeder' fishing is balancing the reel on top of the rod so your crank is on the correct side for your winding hand!
Also - if you are a braid mainline user, getting the centrifugal braking sorted to prevent overruns is fiddly compared to mono - don't know why - it seems to change between trips!
Otherwise - No problem! :rolleyes:
:thumbs:

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've had a good play with the medium version and they're nice reels. Not as big and ugly as the original, and very highly regarded, Longcast.

Given a blank cheque, I'd have a full set of the Ci4 version without any hesitation.

I guess that you're taking you trent cat venture seriously if you're chucking cash at a dedicated rod and reel.

B

binka

I guess that you're taking you trent cat venture seriously if you're chucking cash at a dedicated rod and reel.

How did you guess Sam? :D

I've had a few reels recommended to me but not the one I mentioned and I was hoping you would weigh in with your opinion.

Yes i'm seriously thinking about it, I reckon it's going to be a very long, patient and tedious journey in the non-tidal areas that I will be targeting so I want to make sure that if/when I do latch into one that I have as good a chance as possible of banking it.

As I've said before I reckon I've latched into at least one or two in the past and likely more, I've even got my doubts about Sundays lost "carp" which just laughed at me with a 2.75lb tc rod and which felt decidedly sluggish, stubborn and dogged by comparison to the other (rare in my case) river carp that I've had.

Time will tell... The idea excites me and i'll no doubt have a lot of fun trying :)

Edited to add: The rod is proving a bit of a pain at the minute, there are plenty out there but none that really float my boat and I want to go with a proper actioned rod and not just a spod rod, I've been told that Harrison do a 5 - 5.5lb tc blank and I'm just awaiting a quote for a 12' with full cork handle instead of Duplon... I'm sure I can find a quiet little corner to go and have a good cry when I hear how much.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Edited to add: The rod is proving a bit of a pain at the minute, there are plenty out there but none that really float my boat and I want to go with a proper actioned rod and not just a spod rod, I've been told that Harrison do a 5 - 5.5lb tc blank and I'm just awaiting a quote for a 12' with full cork handle instead of Duplon... I'm sure I can find a quiet little corner to go and have a good cry when I hear how much.

Sounds like a damned expensive carry on for what's essentially a sideline for you. I'm sure you could get by with cheaper reels than the new Longcasts. There are also cheaper dedicated cat rods out there. Daiwa Whisker Catfish Rods

Tackle needed to target the wels catfish

B

binka

Sounds like a damned expensive carry on for what's essentially a sideline for you. I'm sure you could get by with cheaper reels than the new Longcasts. There are also cheaper dedicated cat rods out there. Daiwa Whisker Catfish Rods

Tackle needed to target the wels catfish

Yeah you're absolutely right... I'm sure I could do it a lot cheaper.

I've been reading the website you linked to over the last couple of days and there's some good guidance on there, I also looked at the Daiwa rods and I'm not sure if this is a valid point or not but I would feel more comfortable on the river with the extra length of a twelve footer especially where there is overhang etc which will be a likely feature for me to target.

I found it interesting that Daiwa had bought out off the peg rods now aimed at the catfishing market, I'm not sure how long these rods have been around but a hint at the increasing popularity of it and numbers targeting them perhaps?

nicepix

Reaction score
Binks,
Can I suggest a Yorkshire option?

Shakey Ugly Stick Uptider €45 & Penn 760L reel €82 (from ebay.de) Unbreakable!

No point in buying 'proper' cat fishing tackle unless you are intending to go in for it big time.

p.s. The longer the rod, the less leverage you can exert. IMO you need a through actioned rod that will fold over to make the effective leverage you exert on the fish greater.

Last edited: