Unsatisfactory session on my local lake.

symonh2000

Reaction score
I had a couple of hours spare this evening, so I thought I would pop down the local lake to see what I could catch.

I haven't fished the lake for a while and this was my first time fishing down there for a few years.

To say I was unimpressed is an understatement.

Half of the lake was choked in weed, so unfishable, the other swims were full of people swimming, and allowing dogs to swim, so the banks were a muddy mess and the water all stirred up.

There was also dogs mess everywhere, and youths laying about in the grass drunk, as well as smoking weed and throwing litter everywhere.

And to top it all, I found a dead pike, which someone had obviously killed and thrown up the bank to rot. :(

I paid £25 for a season ticket to fish this lake and I am tempted to ask for my money back.

Has anyone else come across anything similar and what did you do?

:(

symonh2000

Reaction score
The lake is owned by the council. Unfortunately I won't get time to go back down tomorrow, but I might get time one evening next week.

There are signs up saying no swimming, no dog mess, no barbecues and no drinking but they are being blatantly ignored.

I was wandering about doing some light spinning to try and catch perch, but I ended up following people who were letting their dogs jump into the lake, so every clear swim was ruined before I got to it.

nicepix

Reaction score
Contact your local police force and ask to speak to the Inspector in charge of the Safer Neighbourhood Team (don't blame me. I don't make up these stupid titles). Make him or her aware of the problem. That is what they are there for. And keep nagging them until something is done.

terry m

Reaction score
It sounds pretty grim.

I would put it down to experience, swallow the £25 loss and move on. The water you describe is not a water I would want to fish under any circumstances.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Being a public place it's bound to be full of the public especially if it's hot weather. I pay to fish such waters but don't bother until autumn and winter.
I'd stick with your ticket and wait.

nicky

Reaction score
Part of the course id say fishing a council lake may still get some good fishing at the right times

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

cal_sutt

Reaction score
My favourite swim on my local river has turned somewhat like this, however it doesn't bother me too much as there's plenty of other swims and I don't have to pay a penny... Ever! This will still be a problem for a little while with the weather being this hot, the best thing to do is just fish a different lake/swin for a while and just keep popping back for a look to see if the problem persists - if so, then do what you can to report it and nag nag nag until you get a solution.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I am fishing a marina tomorrow and Tuesday, I can't really complain about the boats can I? You are fishing a public place and complaining about the public.

The best bet if you still want to fish it is to go in the cooler months. You can complain to the council, but I don't think your complaint will get a very high priority as most councils have had to cut back on staff.

Personally I would look elsewhere. Are there no clubs in your area?

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
I'd say you're due a refund.
Whatever you pay for, regardless of the cost, has to be fit for purpose.
I'm not normally in favour of naming and shaming venues but in this case go ahead.

john step

Reaction score
agree with nogoodboyo
Ask for a refund. Not fit for purpose. Life is too short to bother with scruffy places even if they are close at hand.

law

Reaction score
Sounds just like Keston! Although that's a free place.

symonh2000

Reaction score
I am fishing a marina tomorrow and Tuesday, I can't really complain about the boats can I? You are fishing a public place and complaining about the public.

The best bet if you still want to fish it is to go in the cooler months. You can complain to the council, but I don't think your complaint will get a very high priority as most councils have had to cut back on staff.

Personally I would look elsewhere. Are there no clubs in your area?

I have no problem sharing with the public, as long as the public follow the rules and have respect for other users of the water.

Just like anglers are expected to do.

---------- Post added at 09:09 ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 ----------

I'd say you're due a refund.
Whatever you pay for, regardless of the cost, has to be fit for purpose.
I'm not normally in favour of naming and shaming venues but in this case go ahead.

I will see how I get on with asking for a refund first, if I have no joy then i will name and shame.

cg74

Reaction score
I have no problem sharing with the public, as long as the public follow the rules and have respect for other users of the water.

Just like anglers are expected to do.

---------- Post added at 09:09 ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 ----------

I will see how I get on with asking for a refund first, if I have no joy then i will name and shame.

Simon, going by your location I'm guessing you're talking about Ducklington lake (if you don't want to say, please don't), if it is I'd say you've got no chance of a refund.
But if want to improve things, go up there and take some pics of (non-angling) litter, dog turds and any damage to plant life that can not be blamed on angling. Whilst doing that pick up any litter that can be attributed directly to anglers.
Then contact the council detailing your concerns. Insist that they formally notify you of their findings and their subsequent course of action.

Don't be fobbed off and bear in mind; if you do this all online, you have a paperwork trail, so they can't deny anything and you can correspond whenever you choose.

Last edited:

symonh2000

Reaction score
It was indeed Ducklington lake.

I take it you have experience of that location?

I couldn't see any litter that could be directly attributed to Angling other than a spinner or two hanging out of trees that were out of reach.

Most of the litter is old disposable barbecues, beer cans, Lidl bags, Macdonalds wrappers and of course the numerous dog eggs everywhere.

The club do also have a stretch of the Thames which is a bit more private, I shall have a drive down there in the near future to see what that is like. (I haven't been down there for years)

Last edited:

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
I'm sure you're probably already aware of this, but have you tried Newlands AC, some very nice lakes down the road a little from you in Standlake? Very much run by anglers, you wouldn't get any of this on their waters....

symonh2000

Reaction score
I'm sure you're probably already aware of this, but have you tried Newlands AC, some very nice lakes down the road a little from you in Standlake? Very much run by anglers, you wouldn't get any of this on their waters....

I have been a member of Newlands a few times. I quite like fishing their waters.

The thing that attracted me to Witney lake was that it is much closer to my house, membership was cheaper and the club has a section of the Thames that doesn't require a 4x4 to get to.

I don't get to fish as often as I like, so I may not have got value for money out of a Newland ticket either. The Witney AS ticket was less than half the price.

cg74

Reaction score
It was indeed Ducklington lake.

I take it you have experience of that location?

I couldn't see any litter that could be directly attributed to Angling other than a spinner or two hanging out of trees that were out of reach.

Most of the litter is old disposable barbecues, beer cans, Lidl bags, Macdonalds wrappers and of course the numerous dog eggs everywhere.

The club do also have a stretch of the Thames which is a bit more private, I shall have a drive down there in the near future to see what that is like. (I haven't been down there for years)

I fished there a number of times back in 2000-2002, it was a good tench water, with some going 10lb+. But I'd imagine it's having a lean spell like most gravel pits in Oxfordshire.

It was a congregation point for drug users etc even back then.

If it's littered with non-angling rubbish, I think your best course of action if you want to influence change. Is to put pressure on the local council.

It'd be a real shame if it was no longer fished.