What should I have done?

The Sogster

Reaction score
Yesterday whilst bringing in a small roach of about 8oz, not for the first time in my angling life it was taken by a pike. Which although it stayed on for a while let go when it saw the net.

However the roach was very much worse for wear, with several very deep puncture wounds/ slashes across its body and looked about 30/70 for survival.

Should I have?

a) stuck it back out on a livebait rig - knowing the pike was spooked

b) released it in the hope it would recover - pretty sure it wouldn't survive its injuries

c) knocked it on the head to put it out of its misery

d) Any other suggestion?

I chose to release the fish for no other reason than I didn't have any pike gear (wire traces) with me.

Last edited:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
B for me, it may have been taken again by a Pike or even the same one, it might not, but nature would take is course no matter what.

I was fishing the Ouse one day with some friends and we saw a pike laying in wait. One of my mates cast a lure down river and pull the lure right passed the pike, it took, but got off.
The pike returned to the same spot, my friend cast again, same result, and the pike returned again to the same spot.
A third time, surely not ?? Yes, third time round and this time the pike was landed.

Once unhooked and returned the pike went back to the same spot, NO, we didn't try again, but i am sure the pike would have taken again.

I have also seen a large barbel caught, returned, and minutes later down river it was caught again.

jimlad

Reaction score
A wounded livebait - ideal

There's a very good chance the pike would have a had it again.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
I'd have stuck it back in. Two things spring to mind:

1) if you didn't have any traces with you then you could have hardly fished responsibly for pike

2) i've caught a number of fish before that have shown some remarkable signs of escaping from some previous encounter with a predator. So it does obviously happen. However, if it doesn't - nature will take its course and the roach will become part of the food chain.

greenie62

Reaction score
I'd have stuck it back in. Two things spring to mind:

1) if you didn't have any traces with you then you could have hardly fished responsibly for pike

2) ... - nature will take its course and the roach will become part of the food chain.

Agreed Jim,
Also - if you did have a trace and caught the pike - what you gonna do - make him sit on the naughty step?! :confused:;):D
Cheers & Tight lines! :thumbs:

law

Reaction score
a) stuck it back out on a livebait rig - knowing the pike was spooked

Pike don't spook after being hooked. They are stupid. I've hooked the same pike twice before actually landing it before.
I've also caught the same pike 3 times in 4 hours.

symonh2000

Reaction score
Pike don't spook after being hooked. They are stupid. I've hooked the same pike twice before actually landing it before.
I've also caught the same pike 3 times in 4 hours.

I think it varies from Pike to Pike. I have hooked the same one 3 times before landing it, on other occasions I have bumped off a pike right under the rod, and I never saw it again.

If I had a sturdy enough rod and a snap tackle I would have had a go for the pike with the roach, if not I would have put it back and let nature take it's course.

Last edited:

The Sogster

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies gents (and ladies).

As stated in my OP I would have put it back out if I'd had a trace with me but I didn't.

Rest assured I will be back for the pike come the first frosts.