The River Ouse near Buckingham?

The Hood

Reaction score
I have just beencookingat a privateconvent schoolin the village of Thornton in Buckinghamshire, near to Buckingham.

The river ouse flows right beside it and it looks fantastic, chub, barbel tastic looking venue.

Does anyone know if any local clubs control any strethes nearby?

Phil Smith 2

Reaction score
Both upstream and downstream are Buckingham and District. ticket from supermarket in Buckingham

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Spent many happy hours on this bit of the Ouse in the period 1995 to 1998.

Caught chub to 5 3/4 lb, roach to 1 1/2lb, perch to 2 1/2 lbs and a few nice dace.

The stretch belowThornton Bridge is **** Walker's, where the famous hut used to be.

Happy memories of superb fishing.

Specihunter

Reaction score
Go to jk tackle shop in bicester and speak to paddy he knows that river .

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I would prefer there not to be. That is top quality chub water.

The Hood

Reaction score
Thank you all, i'll check it out as it is a most classic looking water, I have been cooking for the girls and staff in the college, si i'll also see if they'll let me fish fron their side of the river, a bit overgrown, but nice to hear that Mr Walker favoured the stretch, thanks ron.

Dear Phil, which supermarket in Buckingham?

F

Fred Bonney

Ron, the upper river in general, is a top quality chub water.

Specihunter

Reaction score
jks in bicester sell tickets.

they are in the town centreopen 9-6 mon-fri 9-5 sat 9-1 sun.

michael weedon

Reaction score
Thornton Wood is a fantastic stretch of the upper Ouse. Yes, Buckingham and District Angling Association have the rights and at this time of year you can get day tickets as well as membership from a small supermarket (I believe it's Liptons) in Well Street. The shop is on the left and is opposite a block of flats. Don't blink or you'll miss it! Other outlets for club membership includes Jakeman's in Aylesbury. I'm a regular on Walker's and 'The Wood' with my mate Neil on most Saturdays, so if you're going over there, give me a shout and we'll meet up. You ain't got a cat in Hell's chance of fishing from the wood itself!

michael weedon

Reaction score
Sorry Mike, I got the name of the shop wrong, it's a Londis supermarket. One question for you. How do you like your signal crayfish, boiled or fried? You're going to meet quite a few, but don't be put off, it's a great place just to be!!!

The Hood

Reaction score
Crayfish are great, poached and served with salad, in fact many years ago I used crayfish from the river thame at ickford bridge to win Capitol Chef of the year competition, I made a superb freshwater crayfish mousse, garnished with roastedwild garlic and baby crayfish. Yum.

Not so good for the fishing though.

The Hood

Reaction score
Dear Mike

I live in Grange Farm, Milton Keynes, only a few miles away from the stretch, when I get a chance and the world and his wife don't want me to cook for them. I'm on the money.

michael weedon

Reaction score
Have you been following me about Mike? Ickford is one stretch of river that keeps calling me back. If I could only fish in one place, it would be there. Red kites, kingfishers, buzzards and tawny owls plus a few bloody great big chub! Heaven. Surely we must have bumped into each other somewhere along the way? Have you fished Shabbington as well?

michael weedon

Reaction score
Unfortunately I live in Hemel Hempstead, a town that is nowhere near any GOOD river fishing, so I travel up to Buckingham or over to Thame each weekend for my sins, but to get back to the thread - I have never heard of any barbel being caught at Walker's or Thornton Wood come to that. Perhaps that is why it is fished so little at this time of year. Just us nutty chub anglers! Get on it Mike and enjoy!

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

Hood, you sound like a good lad to be away fishing with for a weekend, especially if your doing the catering /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gifSure to beat my corned beef, onion and Yorkshire piccalilli stottie cake sarnies...made up on the Thursday to see me through to Sunday. That lot is usually accompanied by an ample supply of hard boiled eggs.

Great bit of water at Thornton Bridge. Barbel are the last fish the water wants or needs.

F

Fred Bonney

I didn't think they had got up that far.......yet!

Last spotted at the A5 opposite Stony, when I lived that way.

The Hood

Reaction score
I fished at Ickford and also chearlsey, I prefered chearsley a bit as it was wild and out of the way, it was on the ring ticket when I used to fish for them. Won many matches with jack pike and chub, saw a man one day in a match catch a 15lb pike on a pole to win a match.

Trust me John H since me and the mrs had so many kids all my fishing pals were gutted, as the catering over the last five years has deterioated.

Part of the enjoyment of fishing is enjoying the day, I have spent many years fishing in Eire and all my pals ever wanted was self catering, wonder why, I prefer b&b plus evening meal so I could enjoy someone cooking for me.

My new fishing wagon is a VW Caravelle, but not the camper version, but i'm sure I could rig a kitchen in there somewhere.

I once met a group of essex boys who always fished in Athlone, they took a oil drum bbq with them wherever they went. The old fella who did the driving didn't fish at all, he just went for the craic. One day on the river below the wier we were treated to roast leg of irish pork, roast potatoes, gravy, cabbage, mug of tea, now that's how to do a fishing trip to Eire.