Silt rig

jumpin jimbo

Reaction score
Anyone got any advice on playing carp when using a silt rig. I had 3 on yesterday and I lost them, all within the first 10 secs.I know it's a bit different because the strain will be on the mainline rather than straight through to the hook.

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Hello Jimbo

Can you please explain what a silt rig is ?.

also we need hook types and sizes, Lead size and shape, hooklength. The lnotless knot set up will also help. Rod reels and lines ?

Do you know the average size of the carp you are hooking.

When using a helicopter rig at range on Barbless hooks it is very common to loose many carp especially the smaller ones who shake there heads violently causing the hook holdon a short hooklenght to bounce in the carp mouth

jumpin jimbo

Reaction score
It is basically the same as a helicopter rig only the helicopter part can slide up the mainline so that when the lead burries in the silt it can't pull the hooklenght with it. The hooklenght should settle nicely on top of the silt.

2oz pear, Kamasan round bend sz 6 barbless hook, 8in hooklenghth. Av size carp in the lake would be around 12lb.

F

Frothey

its how i fish most of the time. hair length? where was it coming off the hook? bait? lots of freebies?

jumpin jimbo

Reaction score
Idon't know what you mean by 'where was it coming off the hook'. They all jumped and I lost them then. It's like they knew what they were doing. 18mm Boilie, about an inch from the shank.

F

Frothey

sorry, i meant where was the hair coming off the hook - at the eye, opposite hook point, bend, etc

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
The rig you are describing is whats commonly called a chod rig. The problem you have is that when you hook a carp and it starts to run the led comes out of thesilt and thehooklenght bead slides down toward the lead. At this point you have got a lead fixed by the tension of the carp pulling against the hookhold as the carp shakes its head the hook hold bounces and the teflon coated hook jumps out. The problem is a classic with barbless hooks. If you could cushion the cast (slowdown the lead as its about to hits the water surface) you could use a running rig setup which goes a very long way to elivieate the problem.

F

Frothey

its not a choddie Ian, he's using an 8" hooklength - though it wont make that much difference.

I've had a fiddle with triggalink on and off - cant say whether it makes that much difference as i dont seem to lose many with heli/silt rigs, but you're right about the running rigs.

jumpin jimbo

Reaction score
I would normally use a semi-fixed bolt rig. If I go back to thatI suppose a PVA nugget might help the hook and bait settle better, they're both coming back covered in gunk and the hook might have a leaf or two on it aswell. I gave up using nuggets coz whatever I tried I couldn't get the effin things to stay on. But I have just had a think and there's no reason why I can't tie a nugget to the hook with pva string is there ? that should keep the bugger on.

I meant bend, not shank. I tie hair rigs so they start opposite the hook point and there's about an inch between the bait and the bend in the hook.

F

Frothey

you pick the gunk up when you reel in. no need to tie a nugget on, just lick and fold in half.

are you fishing slack lines? if so it could be the fish not being hooked properly - try either a much heavier lead, tighter clutch/baitrunner or tight lines toset the hook properly. maybe even a little strike!

jumpin jimbo

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll try a bigger lead and tighten up the baitrunner, see if that helps set the hook better.I'm using a 10lb mono hooklength coz it's the darkest I've got, suggest anything better to use or should that be ok ?

F

Frothey

<blockquote class=quoteheader>jumpin jimbo wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

I'm using a 10lb mono hooklength coz it's the darkest I've got?</blockquote>

Colour doesn't really matter over silt, as the silt will cover the hooklength anyway.I prefer braids orreverse combi links (if i want it stiff near the hook)over silt, but thats just me!