question about buying maggots from tackle shop

fishperch

Reaction score
the maggots have been not very good quality in my local tackle shop latley and they have put the price up also, so im wondering do i have the right to look at the maggots to see if there of reasonable qaulity before i buy them? im fed of of buying old shrunk sticky ones that are full of dead ones and the whites are more like a black colour. if anyone knows any law regarding looking at items before u buy then plz share with me and wat law it is also if possible plz.
tight lines nd wet nets guys

B

binka

Any tackle shop worth their salt will let you inspect the bait prior to buying it... Some, such as Gerrys of Nottingham will have it behind a glass display counter so that you can see without asking.

Have you raised the issue with the shop?

It could be a problem with the maggot farm if they outsource them, I'm not familiar chapter and verse with consumer law but it would surely have to be fit for purpose and it sounds as though something is falling short?

daji

Reaction score
Hi Fishperch. Of course you have the right to see before you buy especially based on your previous purchase of poor quality maggots. I would question any trader that denied you a look before you buy.

fishperch

Reaction score
Any tackle shop worth their salt will let you inspect the bait prior to buying it... Some, such as Gerrys of Nottingham will have it behind a glass display counter so that you can see without asking. Have you raised the issue with the shop? It could be a problem with the maggot farm if they outsource them, I'm not familiar chapter and verse with consumer law but it would surely have to be fit for purpose and it sounds as though something is falling short?

yeah the bloke in there is abit of a grumpy old fella nd finds fault with pretty much everything which is why i do my reels myself nd only buy maggots nd hooks from there, i get the rest from the tf gear website or get it on amazon. i did hear someone mention it to him b4 nd if i remember corectly he was like "do u want me to put them back then". i was thinking about going to a recently newly opend one tomorra which aparently used to b open but i didnt fish at the time. also what do u guys usally pay for ur pint if maggots? i used to pay around £3.20 but now its more like £3.80 nd seems to b abit less bait if that makes sense? usally they r in the basement bit he has there

dangermouse

Reaction score
A nice simple trick for getting a look at them before you pay. Give him your bait box without the lid, then if you don`t like the look of what is put in front of you you can say something.

Sounds like he doesn`t take very good care of his maggots. Those deads should be riddled off. A few are acceptable but if you`re getting a lot you should complain or take your business elsewhere.

As for the price :eek:

Of course I don`t know what the average in your area is but I pay £2 a pint.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Go to Harefield t/s, it's only 30 minutes from Marlow. All maggots, casters, squats, pinkies etc. are 'brewed' on the premises - you can see what you're buying (everything is on display)and they are top quality......

fishperch

Reaction score
A nice simple trick for getting a look at them before you pay. Give him your bait box without the lid, then if you don`t like the look of what is put in front of you you can say something. Sounds like he doesn`t take very good care of his maggots. Those deads should be riddled off. A few are acceptable but if you`re getting a lot you should complain or take your business elsewhere. As for the price :eek: Of course I don`t know what the average in your area is but I pay £2 a pint.

thats a great tip m8, i will do that IF i ever go there again hopefulli the new one tomorra is good

---------- Post added at 15:20 ---------- Previous post was at 15:19 ----------

Go to Harefield t/s, it's only 30 minutes from Marlow. All maggots, casters, squats, pinkies etc. are 'brewed' on the premises - you can see what you're buying (everything is on display)and they are top quality......
thanks m8, ill take a trip down there when i can. how much are they in price m8? cheers

Keith Speer

Reaction score
If I buy a pint with just one dead maggot I will ask for them to be replaced.

Maggots should be clean, dry, caster free, have no smell of ammonia and all the bait should have a black feed spot which is easy to see on the maggot.

If the bait you get is different from the above hand them back and ask for fresh bait.

To be honest name the shop and go elsewhere!

fishperch

Reaction score
If I buy a pint with just one dead maggot I will ask for them to be replaced. Maggots should be clean, dry, caster free, have no smell of ammonia and all the bait should have a black feed spot which is easy to see on the maggot. If the bait you get is different from the above hand them back and ask for fresh bait. To be honest name the shop and go elsewhere!
what reactions do u get when u do that m8?

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
fishperch.....If you live in Marlow then I assume you're buying from Kings in Maidenhead or Maidenhead Bait & Tackle in Cookham ??

The 'grumpy old fella' you mention is probably the Kings chap who comes across as aggressive and doesn't smile very much !! I don't buy from him as some casters I bought were not very good - he keeps all his bait in a cool cabinet which is not good !

Try the Cookham shop - it's in the parade of shops near Cookham railway station - as the maggots are on display and seem okay.......

The tackle shop in Harefield mentioned by Barbelboi is a great shop BUT the cost of petrol to go there and back makes the maggots very expensive, but they are very good !!

ps To buy good quality maggots any shop must have a good turn around of bait in the first place otherwise they just sit in a cool cabinet for ages and deteriorate over time.....

One last point; How are you keeping your maggots ?? In this hot weather they need to be kept very cool to stop them from sweating and for perfect condition they need to be looked after !!
If you do a 'search' you will find loads of info and help on keeping maggots from fishermen who want the best condition bait....give it a try !!

Last edited:

law

Reaction score
Have you told the owner that they are rubbish?
My local had a real bad batch a while back. Me and a few otherr regulars told him and he found a new supplier.

fishperch

Reaction score
fishperch.....If you live in Marlow then I assume you're buying from Kings in Maidenhead or Maidenhead Bait & Tackle in Cookham ?? The 'grumpy old fella' you mention is probably the Kings chap who comes across as aggressive and doesn't smile very much !! I don't buy from him as some casters I bought were not very good - he keeps all his bait in a cool cabinet which is not good ! Try the Cookham shop - it's in the parade of shops near Cookham railway station - as the maggots are on display and seem okay....... The tackle shop in Harefield mentioned by Barbelboi is a great shop BUT the cost of petrol to go there and back makes the maggots very expensive, but they are very good !! ps To buy good quality maggots any shop must have a good turn around of bait in the first place otherwise they just sit in a cool cabinet for ages and deteriorate over time..... One last point; How are you keeping your maggots ?? In this hot weather they need to be kept very cool to stop them from sweating and for perfect condition they need to be looked after !! If you do a 'search' you will find loads of info and help on keeping maggots from fishermen who want the best condition bait....give it a try !!
yeah its the cookham tackle shop where they r dodgy. ive omly seen them on display 1ce there nd usally i get the grumpy old guy in there, i found the young chap to b really helpful bd nice but ive only been served by him afew times

fishperch

Reaction score
They may be rubbish in appearance to our eye, but will they catch you less fish?

yeah ive noticed they get far less bites then other ones i got from the amersham tackle shop before it shut down :( shame coz the bloke in amersham was very nice altough abit quiet

---------- Post added at 02:24 ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 ----------

hi guys, ive jus been to the kings of maidenhead tackle shop, its not pretty on the outside nd looks abit gloomy outside but when u go in its safe to say i was quite plesently suprised, it may bot be as big as the cookham tackle shop but it seems alot cleaner and the guy seems pretty nice. the shoo is only small and if there were lots of ppl in there it would be hard to move especially near the door. as for the maggot quality no problems there, however, he doesnt sell bronze maggots :'(
the WHITE maggots r acually WHITE :) safe to say i will probaly go there from now on unless the harefield one is exceptional prince and cheeper as its further from me than kings.
thanks for your posts on this thread guys
tight lines nd wet nets

ravey

Reaction score
Shocking bait is simply unacceptable. So much depends on quality bait and the confidence this brings.

Complain - at least it gives him a chance to improve. If he can't be bothered, then I would take my business elsewhere.

As Keith S says, they should be clean, fresh and frequently riddled.

I pay £2.40 a pint, but it is good bait. My local tackle dealer recognises that good bait keeps people coming back, and there is always the chance of him getting sales for other items whilst you are there.

Bad bait is bad business!

fishperch

Reaction score
where do all u guys buy ur bait lol :D so much cheeper than round this area

jon atkinson

Reaction score
All of the shops I buy from have them on display & I typically pay £1.50 - £2.00 a pint. Cheapest I know of is a fishery on the Wirral with a shop that sells maggots at 99p a pint - I know that it's 'darn sarf' but £3.80 sounds pretty extortionate, especially if they aren't in good nick...

fishperch

Reaction score
All of the shops I buy from have them on display & I typically pay £1.50 - £2.00 a pint. Cheapest I know of is a fishery on the Wirral with a shop that sells maggots at 99p a pint - I know that it's 'darn sarf' but £3.80 sounds pretty extortionate, especially if they aren't in good nick...

yeah in kings today they were £3.20 a pint but tgen again i didnt haggle like i often do in most places, mabie ill try that one day lol. they were decent quality