Running rig VS fixed

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Which is best ?
When method feeding I put a drennan quickstop by the feeder to create a bolt rig effect which I believe is still safe as the stop will slid under moderate pressure.

Will I still get self hooking with a running rig or do I have to strike ?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Which is best ?
When method feeding I put a drennan quickstop by the feeder to create a bolt rig effect which I believe is still safe as the stop will slid under moderate pressure.

Will I still get self hooking with a running rig or do I have to strike ?

Yeah, you'll still get a lot of fish self hooking even with a running rig, barbel
hang themselves on a ledger set up. That's why they register powerfull pulls on the rod tip...because they've swam off with the bait and set the hook on the taught line and then keep going. If your getting twanging pulls and tuggs on the tip then fish are pulling on the bait without getting hooked so you need to strike as soon as the tip moves to hook them. These will usually be smaller species or sneaky chub.

All that's just my findings and chances are someone will dissagree.

daji

Reaction score
I frequently fish a running rig with a hair rig coupled with line pulled taut enough to create a nice bend in the rod tip. i find this results in fish self hooking themselves without the worry of snapping off with a fish attached to a fixed rig.

hyperdrive

Reaction score
I use a running set up more often than a fixed one and would agree with what tigger says, some fish hook themselves, others if you ignore the taps then reel in after the baits gone.

smufter

Reaction score
I only ever fish running rigs with very light leads.
I get some screaming runs!
To assist in the initial hooking, I utilise the line clips on my rods.
The slight resistance as the line hits the clip helps set the hook.
My Chub Outkast rods had line clips already fitted to them, but new new Free Spirits don't.
I got round that by buying a pack of these...
Greys Carp - Products - Rods - Rod Accessories - Universal Line Clip

Easily fitted (in seconds) and they do make a difference.
Try it next time
;)

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I only ever fish running rigs with very light leads.
I get some screaming runs!
To assist in the initial hooking, I utilise the line clips on my rods.
The slight resistance as the line hits the clip helps set the hook.
My Chub Outkast rods had line clips already fitted to them, but new new Free Spirits don't.
I got round that by buying a pack of these...
Greys Carp - Products - Rods - Rod Accessories - Universal Line Clip

Easily fitted (in seconds) and they do make a difference.
Try it next time
;)

Thats an interesting product does it act like a line clip ? When you get a bit and a run do you have to unclip with your finger ?

---------- Post added at 05:44 ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 ----------

Yeah, you'll still get a lot of fish self hooking even with a running rig, barbel
hang themselves on a ledger set up. That's why they register powerfull pulls on the rod tip...because they've swam off with the bait and set the hook on the taught line and then keep going. If your getting twanging pulls and tuggs on the tip then fish are pulling on the bait without getting hooked so you need to strike as soon as the tip moves to hook them. These will usually be smaller species or sneaky chub.

All that's just my findings and chances are someone will dissagree.

Twangy pulls sums it up , often after that the bait has gone.
I am fishing for carp on commercials , round about now they get very adept at spitting a hook out ( again my opinion ) , I know fish bandums which have a recess in the middle which clings to the band.

smufter

Reaction score
Thats an interesting product does it act like a line clip ? When you get a bit and a run do you have to unclip with your finger ?

No mate. The line just sits under there under light tension. As soon as a fish picks up your bait and sets off with it, it will hit the clip but with enough force to then pull the line out from underneath it. You only clip the line under the front of the clip.
The other good thing about them is that if you have had a take whilst you have been distracted (God forbid!) then the mere fact that the line is now out of the clip will indicate that you have been "done".
Hope that makes sense?
Here's a picture (not very good) of my set up. If you look carefully you can see the line going to the clip (just above the rod butt).
20140528_084622_zps743c17e9.jpg

Last edited:

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I understand - thanks that is really useful info , the extra clip creates a totally safe bolt effect because the resistance is nice and safe out of the water.

smufter

Reaction score
I understand - thanks that is really useful info , the extra clip creates a totally safe bolt effect because the resistance is nice and safe out of the water.

Absolutely. If you haven't got clips already fitted to your rods, those Greys ones I linked to are ideal. Not expensive, come in a pack of three for £7.99.
Easily fitted and can stay on the rods for ever and ever! You don't have to use them, they certainly won't be in the way if you decide not to. And they don't mark your rods either.
The other good thing about them is that they give a nice angle to your bobbins rather than having your line come directly from your reel spool.
Perfect for those "tarty tackle" shots
;););)

Last edited:

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
they get very adept at spitting a hook out
They do! Keep giving them a different problem. If everybody is on fixed with short rigs try a longer, softer rig, or a running weight, etc. The resistance on the line in the water will set the hook if they take with confidence. As a variant, try a running rig with a stop after a few inches, keep thinking and keep altering if you are getting aborted takes. They are clever by fish standards but you should be able to outwit them if you apply the little grey cells!

On my lake (not a commercial but a moderately difficult classic carp water) my results started to tail off, talking to other members, it became apparent that everybody was using combi rigs of one sort or another. A month ago, I went back to rigs I was using five years ago, 10-12' silkworm, long hair. The result has been amazing. They obviously expect to have to deal with the combi, they haven't worked out this one (again) yet. I watched what turned out to be a low 20 pick up the bait yesterday evening, try to eject but without the combi boom, got it wrong, panicked and roared off!

Stu

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Stu did it try to eject it while staying still ? I have heard some carp will do that it seems counter intuitive , I have "dabbed" for a couple and been amazed how quickly they can spit it out.

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Stu did it try to eject it while staying still ? I have heard some carp will do that it seems counter intuitive , I have "dabbed" for a couple and been amazed how quickly they can spit it out.
Hi Benny,

Yes it did. I was fishing very close to my own bank, one bleep and a twitch. I carefully looked over the bankside vegetation and the carp was stationary with the line tight to the lead, I think trying to blow the bait/hook, a second or two later it bolted, one toner. Whether it saw me or panicked when it couldn't blow the hook, I don't know.

I am sure this happens more than we think. I was using blowback rigs, fixed with tubing, before I decided to go back in time on rigs and every so often one would come back 'blown' showing that I'd been done!

Stu

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Thanks I am convinced it happens , I'll take your advice and have a think about ways to change / improve my presentation.