Float fishing for Carp

alcatraz68

Reaction score
I decided I wanted to try float fishing for Carp, but im a little concerned with the advice ive been given.

Basically ive been told to get a commercial float rod and fish with 6lb line. This scares me! I use 12lb line on my normal carp setups, surely a mid double will just snap me off?

In any case I purchased a Shimano 11' Forcemaster Commercial float rod, and loaded it with 6lb Daiwa Sensor. What I want to know is how do I play a big carp on this setup?

smufter

Reaction score
I tend to match my line to the size of the fish I am likely to encounter, doesn't matter whether I'm float fishing, legering or freelining.
To me, the only limiting factor would be the maximum line rating for the rod in question.
A float and a few weights weigh next to nothing compared to a loaded feeder or pva bag or 2oz lead, so you are not really putting much strain on your tackle by casting out long distances. Most float fishing is done at a much shorter range.
My old Korum CS feeder rods had a max line rating of 8lb and that combination handled a mid double carp perfectly easily.
Whilst line rating is important, clutch settings etc. have a far more important role to play. I would say that on 8lb line and with the correct clutch setting and skill by the angler, anything is possible.
So your mid double carp shouldn't be
;);)

Last edited:

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
In any case I purchased a Shimano 11' Forcemaster Commercial float rod, and loaded it with 6lb Daiwa Sensor. What I want to know is how do I play a big carp on this setup?
Try to break 6lb line between your hands! It depends how much room you have, proximinty of snags, rushes, lillies, weeds etc. If you've got space and the clutch is set right you should be okay. Soft hands, use the rod as the spring.

That said, on my water I tend to use 10lb line when float fishing for carp (av size about 15, they go up to mid 30's). Though action rod is essential to avoid hook pulls at close range, lay the bottom 2' on the deck. It is very exciting when the float slides along and then goes under!

If you get problems with carp really digging up the bottom around your float, giving a lot of false bites, over depth it an leave it flat on the surface, when it goes under, you have a bite.

Enjoy

Stu

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Is the intended use to be on commercial venues where the carp are, generally speaking, into single figures, or more established venues with double, upper doubles and bigger?

The Shimano is designed as an out and out commercial venue rod and should take lines only up to 8lb B/S

Take a look at the test here:

Mark Sawyer tests Shimano's brand new commercial feeder rod | Coarse Tackle News | Angling Times | Gofishing UK

For commercial venues I prefer the Preston C Series rods and use mine with 8lb B/S line with never a problem.

However, for much larger carp then I prefer to go to a slightly longer rod, say 12 feet with a T/C of around 2lbs in which case I use 12lb and sometimes 15lb B/S Shimano Technium line for that sort of fishing.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score

Very Very Carefully ;)

I use 1.75 tc rods for floater fishing with a 4000 Diawa Promaster reel and 8lb line. Will go to 10lb line depending on the venue and stamp of fish in it.

nicepix

Reaction score
It all depends on where you fish, what if any snags there are and what size the carp run to. For the big lakes that I fish I use a 2.25lb tc rod, Okuma Trent reel and 12lb Ultima line. On rivers where the fish run smaller I'll be happy with a 1.75lb tc rod, Aero 8000 reel and 10lb Ultima line.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I prefer the sunken float method - similar to John Hofgartner.....
PS I don't fish commercials for carp so have no experience of what works there.

rubio

Reaction score
My largest carp on the float was just shy of 20lb on 4lb line on a tidal stretch on the ebb. Just use a rod that bends rather than a poker designed for casting 4oz leads to the horizon.
The 2kg line record for Blue Marlin is 573lb so you could do ok!

denzinho

Reaction score
I used 6lb line a few weeks ago after small carp. It didn't work at my venue because I hooked a good one and it ran to the nearest snag after a decent fight right in the margin.

Like nicepix said it depends a lot on the venue, snags are a big factor rather than line strength I feel. It's also nice to have that insurance of being able to bully the fish if need be but still enjoy the battle.

In my venue I would not go with 6lb line because I have been busted up before.

Hope I have helped :confused:

law

Reaction score
I use a 1.75tc barbel rod when using a float for carp. Big carp venues that is- not commercials.
I use 10lb line with an 8lb hooklink, or Ill even drop to 6 if its hard going and clear of snags.
Size 10 and a massive lob works really well. Just be prepared to sit on your hands as you get loads of movement on the float as the carp grub about on the bottom near your bait.

justabitpikey

Reaction score
I've had few mid doubles on 5lb line. As long as the water isn't shaggy you'll be fine. Just pay a bit of attention when you set your clutch and it will do fine. You will have a cracking fight too. If I wasn't a pike angler too the gear I use for carp (2.75 lb rods and 12lb mainline) would be much lighter.
Can't afford two sets of rods though :(

Ronnie

Reaction score
I agree with the last post, I use a 1.75 Barbel Rod, but I only use 6lb line, either straight through or with a 5lb hooklength, and I have had carp to over 10lb, great sport!