hooklengths, yea or ney

Neil Mcmurran

Reaction score
I was predominantly a match angler, and always used silstar 'matchteam' line for my pole rigs, straight through, no hooklengths, as that is just another weakspot. Now I am trying to get back into 'proper fishing' I haven't got a clue about which line to use as hooklengths, I have maxima on my reel, tried and tested /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif. So I look on these threads for advice on hooklength lines, I know we all have our faves, my tutor Wendy, has hers but I need to gain confidence in a product. I'm not used to fishing so heavy because on a pole you can land big fish on light tackle if you play it right. I know you cannot do that on rivers in search of barbel, as Wendy has shown me, hit em, hold em, then drag em in. She has the confidence in her terminal tackle to treat it like that, I haven't, only because I aint used to it. So go on then, tell me what is 'flourocarbon'? I always thought it was a soft line for fishing light rigs on canals and such for small fish /forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif

Which line should I be using for my hooklengths on the rivers? Three times I have been broken by big fish, on what I would describe as 'heavy line' /forum/smilies/surprised_smiley.gif

This is a whole new world to me, most of my experience of river fishing was club matches, 1lb hooklengths and a size 20's hook, trying to catch a dace or gudgeon.

Should I put this in a new thread?

Help please /forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif, I need to beat Wendy at least once /forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

pcpaulh

Reaction score
As far as braids goI normally gofor Kyrston Mantis - 12lb. Or If I want something more subtle, silkworm.

For mono I normally go for 10lb ultima.

Fluro is sightfree for me, haven't had any problems with it. Where as I have with ESP ghost and Berkely Vanish.

Neil Mcmurran

Reaction score
Christian, I would just like to say that I will NOT use braid as a hooklength !

cheers matt, will have a look /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Neil Mcmurran

Reaction score
Well, that 1st link is amaazing matt, it contradicts everything I have seen and heard about braid. I only had a quick look but will read it proper later. Cheers matt /forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif

pcpaulh

Reaction score
If it's regards tomouth damage Neil I play my fish sensibly and I've never had any problems.

nicky

Reaction score
this is a thread that interests me any more info guys as i have had problems using hooklinks with feeder fishing, found i have more confidence with balanced tackle and float rigs

C

Cakey

I also use wire trace when Im piking and thats like a cheese cutter but thats never caused any damage either

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Neil.....perhaps you need to think for yourself?......that "matchteam" is available in other BS as well as pole line.

Braid can be a superb option too.

Neil Mcmurran

Reaction score
My personal experience of using braid as a hooklength was to bully fish out of reeds and stick-ups. this was 'match fishing', so it was a case of get em out at all costs /forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif. I suppose if the fish is lip hooked it wouldn't cause any damage, but the state of the mouths of the fish we were catching told a different story. Thankfully, braid is now banned on most match venues. I suppose the same goes for wire traces cakey, I have used them and never seen any damage caused by them.

For reel lines I have always used maxima, but once got talked into buying some 'Terry Eustace pro gold strictly specimen' in 8 and 6lb, bulk spools of 1000 yards. Has anyone ever used this? I put it on a couple of reels but it always seemed to break on the knots, is this my knots or is it crap? (it wasn't cheap /forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif)

The bad one

Reaction score
Definatly not crap line Niel. I've used it for over 5 years in higher strains 10 12 lbs and never had a problem with it going at the knot. Always use grinners for connecting any line or braid and that includes FC as well.

I always use a swivel to break the two sections and never use the connecting loops, they are shite, as my mate found outSunday night when he lost a big carp using them. My comment to him was "you know what I think of ****** loop system!"

Neil Mcmurran

Reaction score
Would pro gold be ok on the pin for trotting, or is it a bit on the heavy side, meaning the line itself, not the b/s ?

Reaction score
Neil,

On mono hooklengths I agree with Brummie and Slime...

I've been using Silstar (WB Clarke) for the majority of my barbel, chub, perch fishing etc on the river for the pastcouple of seasons (thanks for the advice Mr. Nellist et al!).

It is brilliant stuff and has never failed on me (I use palomar and knotless knots). It is availablein 10.1, 7.9 and 6.6lb bs for heavier work.

Why change brands when it's been successful for you in the past...

On fluoro....

I use this mostly in clear water/ low waterconditions (once again same knots). I've tried a lot of brands and find Airflo Sightfree G3 the best so far (that said Swordy is raving about the new Kryston stuff, so I'm sure that'd be worth a look).

Pay a lot of attention to your knots with fluoro and make sure they bed down properly. Any pig-tails and you're asking for lost fish. Don't use loop knots either...

On braid...

To be honest this a very complex field and you will find a product designed for most methods you care to mention.

Kryston brands are superb, have a read of any articles by Dave Chilton, the boss. There are several on FM

Hope that helps

steven upton

Reaction score
im old fashioned on rivers , i don't think you can beat your mainline straight you can always make it a fluro

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA)

If you want to use mono WB Clarke match Team is superb and as ****y says you can get it in b/s up to 10 lb.

My favourite braid hooklink in 10lb b/s is Kryston Supersilk which would be my first choice if fishing bigger baits for Barbel.

Bad experiences with various flouros has made me avoid all flouro lineslike the plague. It has a nasy habit of failing for no apparent reason.