250lb Sturgeon caught in the Trent

Steve Handley

Reaction score
So you thought a 15lb barbel or a 30lb carp or even those mysterious catfish catches were big. Tiddlers! compared to this capture. The 8ft+ long sturgeon and weighing 250lb was caught from the River Trentnear Holme.... and I've seen the photo.

Forgot to mention that it was caught in 1902! Does make you wonder though,what used to swim in our rivers before industrialisation and pollution ruined our waterways. The capture was described in the book 'The River Trent' by Richard Stone, which tells of the history of the river from source to sea. It also contains some old maps and it's suprising how may ferrys and fords crossed the Trent. It also contains some strange names and locations. A lot of the Trent regulars will be aware ofthe name Lady Pit Farm, butjust downstream there is a section called 'Ladies Piece' and what looks like 'Bumpool Shoal'. Must be a reason for those names somewhere!

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Sturgeon must have been an incredible sight in our rivers, i think the record came from the Severn? .....if i am wrong it's because it's been a while since i read of it, either way a huge specimen was caught in the ironbridge area many years ago......can you imagine the look on a roach fisher lower down river as that passed through his swim!!/forum/smilies/disappointed_smiley.gif

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
388lb is the biggest sturgeon caught on rod and line in British waters and that was on the river Towey in 1933 I think. I have the story in one of my books "The Bedside book of fishing"

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
It's amazing to think they used to swim in our waters.

I wonder if they'll ever come back? Can you imagine the look on the anglers face who hooked one!

Philip

Reaction score
Sturgeon are still occasionally caught in the French rivers connected to the Atlantic coast including those in the northan half of the country so in all probablity they do still come into the UKrivers.

Maybe if someone set theirstall out for onewe could see asurprise.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
A few more floods and I guess they may start appearing............../forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Graham Whatmore wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>388lb is the biggest sturgeon caught on rod and line in British waters and that was on the river Towey in 1933 I think. I have the story in one of my books "The Bedside book of fishing"</blockquote>
Just had a "google" Graham........i think you are correct......tho the Severn lays claim to many.

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Philip wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Sturgeon are still occasionally caught in the French rivers connected to the Atlantic coast including those in the northan half of the country so in all probablity they do still come into the UKrivers.

Maybe if someone set theirstall out for onewe could see asurprise. </blockquote>

Hahahaha...a 2lb roach is hard enuff Phil /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

must be cos i ain't used "incog" yet......

Steve Handley

Reaction score
It would be fascinating to see them and salmon swiming up the rivers again and give the barbel anglers a run for their money/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif.....but I bet the poachers would'nt be far behind.

Caviar on toast anybody?

Steve Handley

Reaction score
Whitby used to be the sporting capital of the world for Bluefin tuna fishing in the 30's Ray, with fish over 800lb caught from a small rowing boat!!!!

Philip

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Paul (Brummie) Williams wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote><blockquote class=quoteheader>Hahahaha...a 2lb roach is hard enuff Phil /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif</blockquote>

must be cos i ain't used "incog" yet......</blockquote>

Well it might seem a bit far fetched but as I say the French rivers still have them, even the Seine has reports most seasons and that connects at Le Harve so hardly a million miles away from the UK is it…all Mr Sturgeon has to do is turn left a bit as he crosses the Atlantic and there he is in good old blighty!/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif....so sit behind some big lamprey dead baits in the severn estuary long enough and who knows ! …and yes…the fluro could make all the difference… /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

….Actually more seriously I wonder if anyone was insane enough to do it and actually caught one, what sort of recognition would they get ? ....the sad thing is that it would probably be less than someone catching a well known Barble or Carp…

Phil Lambert

Reaction score
Dunno about recognition Philip, it would depend on the captor I suppose. Now, if sturgeon are truly a realistic target lets get Zyg Gregorek on the case.

Zyggy..........................you listening?.!!!!!!!!!

The Monk

Reaction score
Doncaster natural history museum has a stuffed Sturgeon on exhibition caught from the river Don circa late 1700s, worth having a look at

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
There's a few commercials down here that have sturgeon in them, I wonder how many they have lost during the floods..............and where they are now?

The Monk

Reaction score
the Motorway pond used to have "Rocky" in it, he got caught regulalrly

The bad one

Reaction score
I've eaten it in a restaurant in Russia (No 1 Red Square) Now't special, tasted a bit earthy to me.

Philip

Reaction score
They are quite common in commercial waters on the continent and I think there are a few in the UK that do stock them already...I forget the name but isnt there a water that has lights round it for matches at night that has somein it ?..and perhaps Zyg already has them atAnglers Paradise...

Howeverobviously there would be a world of difference between a stockie from a commercial and a wild fish from say theSevern....trouble is I recon not enough people would realise that and it would probably get overlooked...quite sad really...

F

Frothey

the tuna are starting to show around our shores again - it was the herring being over fished that stopped them coming, now the herring are recovering the tuna are following their dinner....