Best self-hooking method?

lightdragoon

Reaction score
My first love is fishing the waggler for a variety of coarse species, mainly on still waters. I'm starting to think of getting getting a different rod to take along with me, but doesn't need the constant attention that is required of of float fishing? Sometimes my eyes can get strained also, so I ideally need a method or rig where the fish hook themselves. I was thinking feeder, but then again don't you need to pay attention to the quiver tip.

If only I had two pairs of eyes! :rolleyes:

andreagrispi

Reaction score
If your using a second rod and want a self hooking set up - I suggest an alarm approach, with bait runner reel and either a method feeder or in line groundbait or maggot feeder - with short hookl length.

lightdragoon

Reaction score
If your using a second rod and want a self hooking set up - I suggest an alarm approach, with bait runner reel and either a method feeder or in line groundbait or maggot feeder - with short hookl length.

Does it have to be an electronic bite alarm as I don't want to bother other anglers? Shall I buy a carp rod or a dedicated feeder rod.

law

Reaction score
Just turn the volume right down.

rubio

Reaction score
What is it you feel you are missing out on?
Having a sleeper rod out whilst float fishing is very common. I most often do it with a 1.5lb tc speci rod and centre pin with it's built in alarm/bait runner facility. My real point tho is that captures on such a set up aren't as satisfying. Well not to me. And more importantly it tends to distract me from the main feature. Bites on a leger, even something supposed to be self hooking, are often quite subtle and need focus too.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
some of the pickups on self hooking methods can be viscous ( I leave my rod in the rest and wedged [ kind of ] in the back of my chair ) so you might be in danger of losing your rod.

hyperdrive

Reaction score
I have used and Avon rod like this also, baitrunner reel is essential though really, or as Benny says you may be in danger of seeing your rod disappear into the lake. You don't need an electronic alarm, just a bobbin and the noise of line peeling off your reel will be enough, as long as you are sat by it anyway.

lightdragoon

Reaction score
I have a centerpin so might try the sleeper method. I'd quite like to ledger as well though.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
You can still ledger using a centre pin.

Just cast down the margin form your swim, so many want to fish the middle of the lake or river, when more often than not, the fish a just a few yards away in the margins.