Major tackle shops and other outlets…

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score

….that sell fishing tackle - do you buy from them regularly?

I have bought big item from a couple of major tackle shops (the big names ones) but only for bigger item that saved me a good amount of money or I couldn't buy locally, and I have bought a few items of terminal tackle (hooks, shot ect) when I've been on holiday and found a Go Outdoors selling the things I needed at the time.
But for the general fishing needs, line, hooks, shot, leads, ect I buy from my local tackle shop

Does anyone buy these small item from big name tackle shops or on line - if so do you buy in bulk to save money?

Harvey

Reaction score
Tim Aplin and Matchman Supplies in Nottingham have provided excellent service for many years. He gets the bulk of my business.

dangermouse

Reaction score
I buy all my odds and ends locally, either from a market fishing stall or from the pet shop where I buy my bait. I`d much rather put my money in the hands of people I know and like, and support local businesses than give it to big retailers.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I buy most of my gear from Hemmings at Penge, none of the other dealers in the area can hold a candle to them.

I have bought on line but after having a good look around comparing prices. I recently bought a new reel from Tackle Fanatics and they were about £100 pounds cheaper than RRP and £60 less than any other retailer. Oh, it came the next day with free delivery. Top drawer service from them, well done.

I don't but bits on line as it isn't worth the palaver. I buy when I buy my bait.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I buy line on line in bulk spools as my t/s, as good as they are, don't stock Pro-Gold..

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I try to get everything I need form my local tackle shop unless it is something that he has a problem getting, usually down to having to order stupidly large quantities from a wholesaler or manufacturer.

I find his prices are always a good match to online prices and in any event I prefer to support my "local" shop otherwise it might not be there when I need it . . . . . . . . .

kingfisher14

Reaction score
I've only just started to fish again, but I've got stevens tackle shop (cradley) right on my doorstep. Ill be using him for all my coarse & carp bits n pieces. I think ill buy big items like bedchair etc online.

There's a a shop in halesowen that's only recently opened so I will go and a gander at what they've got soon

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 4010X using Tapatalk 2

john step

Reaction score
I buy big items from Casterline at Louth who is friendly and Knowledgeable BUT the tragedy is he is closing down due to lease probs in September.
As I am fishing lots in retirement the little fiddly bits need renewing often and as any tackle shop is at least 20 miles away I tend to buy online. The fuel costs alone dictate this.

dead peg

Reaction score
I try to give the tackle shop all of my custom and he gives me 10% off everything I buy but if he hasn't got what I need I'll shop on-line (usually matchman supplies)
I bought a new seatbox a while back and after finding one on-line I then rang the on-line shop to confirm they had it in stock .They did and after a bit of haggling over the phone I got a further £25 off and free P&P so sometimes its worth giving them a call instead of just ordering on-line

mick b

Reaction score
If I go into my local tackle shops I usually leave with a few (or more) bits and pieces , even if they just add to my reserve stocks.

If Im seeking high loss items, hooks, ollivettes, float stops, line then I will source these online and ask my local shops of they can get somewhere near the online price, if they can they get my custom.

Whatever happens poking around in a 'real' tackle shop is a very pleasurable experience indeed and one not to be missed, especially if its one like Avon Angling in Ringwood.......if they served beer it would be an anglers heaven on earth :D

john step

Reaction score
I have a good tackel shop near me where you can walk around and browes , staff talk to you and no regulars sittign about drinkign tea looking down their nose at you

You are right about some fishing tackle shops having regulars that look down their noses at you. This also applies to SOME staff who think it beneath their dignity to be a shop assistant. Its usually the blokes. Women tend to be more pleasant in these same premises. There is one very large shop in Scunthorpe I avoid.

greenie62

Reaction score
I'm lucky (?) in that I have a choice of 3 shops - all roughly equidistant - 1 of each type - NWAC, GoOutdoors, and a 'local' small shop on the way to the fishery. Too many choices of where to spend too much money! ;):rolleyes::eek:mg:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I get all my gear from Johnson Ross in Hoddesdon, best shop around for miles and miles. Never buy on line, or from the so called big name superstores, most don't have the range of tackle, Go Outdoors don't, thats for sure. But they do have a good range of boots etc etc.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I get all my gear from Johnson Ross in Hoddesdon, best shop around for miles and miles. Never buy on line, or from the so called big name superstores, most don't have the range of tackle, Go Outdoors don't, thats for sure. But they do have a good range of boots etc etc.

Ray, if you know JR you'll also know the Salisbury Arms - my grand dad used to run it during the 50's...............
PS In those days the clock tower was the high focal point - times change...

nicepix

Reaction score
Back in South Yorks I got most of my rods and reels from Tackle 2 Fish as their prices were right and the shop was well stocked and a pleasure to visit. It was only a few minutes from the River Don where I fished too. They also had a cafe next door that did lovely bacon butties so I could take advantage of that too when picking up my maggots.

The nearest shop to me was one of those Fishing Republic things. I hated it. Gobby assistants who wanted to interrogate you when all you wanted to do was browse and pick up some bits and pieces.

Now I have to get a lot of stuff online as the local tackle shops just don't stock much in the way of tackle to suit English methods. Decathalon have the best selection of bits and pieces. The local shops just don't have much at all. But for rods and reels, line and some other items I have to resort to eBay. For some reason eBay in Germany is far cheaper for reels than either eBay.uk or eBay.fr even when delivery is factored in.

terry m

Reaction score
Whatever happens poking around in a 'real' tackle shop is a very pleasurable experience indeed and one not to be missed, especially if its one like Avon Angling in Ringwood.......if they served beer it would be an anglers heaven on earth :D

Take a few paces back into Ringwood and you will happen upon Finn McColl's where you can get some of the best Guinness outside of St James's Gate.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
If I go into my local tackle shops I usually leave with a few (or more) bits and pieces , even if they just add to my reserve stocks.

If Im seeking high loss items, hooks, ollivettes, float stops, line then I will source these online and ask my local shops of they can get somewhere near the online price, if they can they get my custom.

Mr Brown's grotto is, au contraire, a nightmare :) Every time I go in there, the comedy between him and Mrs B is superb. I always spend more than I mean to. One time I went in for half a dozen stick floats and came out with a Maver Ascension pole, a Bob James centre pin and a chair.

You're right, it is a great shop. :)

hyperdrive

Reaction score
The nub of this thread is although we may buy big tackle item from big shops or online , does anyone buy the smaller items this way

yep, I do but only because of the four tackle shops closest to me the best two have sadly closed in recent years. there is one of the big retailers that has two shops, one about 8 miles away and one about 30 miles away so I will browse these and buy smaller items and bait from them. I have found the staff to be generally pretty good. Even though I have bought a few bigger items from them I will still look online and if I find them much cheaper I will order them from where ever, Harrissportsmail being one of the online ones I have used amongst others. I have also bought terminal tackle and other bits of ebay