Spigot joints

cal_sutt

Reaction score
I'm buying a second hand pair of carp rods in a few weeks, some 2.75lb 30Plus rods (not the kodex or centium ones, an older pair that he bought for the Trent last year but barely used) they've got spigot joints, they don't effect the stability of the rod at all do they? Plus I've heard that after a while, the sections will touch leaving no gap and damage is caused to the rod over little time, does this happen quickly or after a lot of use? Bearing in mind they're not cheap sh*t like my current carp rods, and cost £90 each new.

---------- Post added at 14:38 ---------- Previous post was at 14:35 ----------

In addition, I'm looking at getting a pair of FR-5 Nash H-Gun reels to go on the 30Plus rods. Are these a good buy? Will be using the setups for carp fishing of course (no insane distance stuff, not casting further than 40 metres or so) as well as deadbaiting, big lure fishing and big river fishing for carp and barbel.

Advice would be great, thanks... Cal.

The Sogster

Reaction score
Hi Cal,

With regard to the spigot joints, I have rods over twenty years old and the spigots are barely worn.

You would have to be taking them apart every twenty seconds all day every day to see any change.

Just like any rod, make sure there is no grit or dirt on the sections when they go together.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Generally, I prefer spigot rods. Back in my formative fishing years and when I first had decent money to spend, many of the better and more expensive rods (particularly Daiwas) had spigot joints. Many of the rods I own have spigot joints. So far I've never had to take remedial action to keep any of them going.

I have several spigot joint rods from the early 90s that are still going strong, with little sign of wear. Plenty of life and wear in them yet. However, it is true that they can wear in time. How badly they wear depends on the amount of use they get and how they are treated. If they are repeatedly and unnecessarily assembled and disassembled, they'll wear quicker. If they are put together with muck and grit covering the joint, they'll wear quicker. Look after them and they'll last well enough. Even if they do wear enough to become an issue, they can be resurrected fairly easily or replaced entirely by a decent rod builder.

The bad one

Reaction score
Like other have said never had a problem with spigot on any rods I own and about 50% of my rods have them.

P

pointngo

I prefer spigot joints as well.. I think the rod curve is better maintained with a spigot over an overlap joint. Although it might be the smooth lines fooling my brain, and it might well be technically wrong, it seems that way to me.

strangely enough I took one of my 1980's hutchy horizons to my rod builder yesterday and the spigots are very worn down. There's only about 2mm between the sections but, as long as they aren't loose or twist, it doesn't impede on the rods ability.

You can use candle wax as suggested to build up the male section or you can get a graphite spray specifically for it. In worst case, as mine is near, you can just cut a cm off the tip section spigot to bring it back to new. It takes a lot of use and a long time to get to that stage though.. I've got plenty of spigot rods from the 80's/90's which have done a lot of fishing and the spigots are still fine, if a little worn.

john step

Reaction score
I repaired my very old Normark match rod spigot by painting the spigot with black cellulose. Good as new.

The bad one

Reaction score
Grit is the enemy with spigots in particular, over fits just go deeper into the female section if they wear. Putting your broken down rod sections on the floor when packing up is when you tend to get the grit in the female section. We all do it so avoiding it is the best option.
That said a mate, of mine gave me a very fine double ended bottle or test tube brush some time ago. Where he got it from I've no idea, but it's now in my tackle bag and always comes out before I put the section away. A quick plunge a couple of times down the female and a wipe of the male and they go away grit free.
The other way to make sure both sections are clean before you put the rod up is blow down the female section and wipe the spigot. Get into the routine of either and you should have little problem with wear.

john step

Reaction score
I'm buying a second hand pair of carp rods in a few weeks, some 2.75lb 30Plus rods (not the kodex or centium ones, an older pair that he bought for the Trent last year but barely used) they've got spigot joints, they don't effect the stability of the rod at all do they? Plus I've heard that after a while, the sections will touch leaving no gap and damage is caused to the rod over little time, does this happen quickly or after a lot of use? Bearing in mind they're not cheap sh*t like my current carp rods, and cost £90 each new.

---------- Post added at 14:38 ---------- Previous post was at 14:35 ----------

In addition, I'm looking at getting a pair of FR-5 Nash H-Gun reels to go on the 30Plus rods. Are these a good buy? Will be using the setups for carp fishing of course (no insane distance stuff, not casting further than 40 metres or so) as well as deadbaiting, big lure fishing and big river fishing for carp and barbel.

Advice would be great, thanks... Cal.
Cal, I bet you are glad you have a limited budget because if you were rich I think you would become a tackle tart what with the amount of concern you have for this rod or that.
Do you ever get the time to fish with any of it? :wh

symonh2000

Reaction score
Personally I prefer put over joints, but some of my rods have spigots.

If they wear I read somewhere that you can put superglue on the male section, then when it has hardened sand it back so that the joint is tight again.

I have never had any issues with wear though.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have both spigotted rods and overfit joints but of the two I prefer overfit joints. To prevent wear on either types of joints (before it happens) I just give the male sections a rub with a candle every now and again.
You can actually buy a purpose made product to build up spigots in a spray form, you just spray on as much as is required and sand down if you over do it....personally i'd stick with the candle wax.

cal_sutt

Reaction score
Cal, I bet you are glad you have a limited budget because if you were rich I think you would become a tackle tart what with the amount of concern you have for this rod or that.
Do you ever get the time to fish with any of it? :wh

I'm just hoping that I can get as much of the tackle I can while I'm in college and working part time, as when I get out of college, I'd be spending all of my wages on new rods and reels!:eek:mg: Then, the money that I save can go on club memberships!:D

And with this many places to fish around my area, it's all I usually do! Ha ha!

But yes I'd be a tackle tart, I'm just a low-budget one at the moment...

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
personally i'd stick with the candle wax
So would I! Unless you know what you are doing, the other methods suggested could ruin the rod. If you put too much candle wax on (you need the cheap hard stuff) just gently steam it off.

Stu

john step

Reaction score
I'm just hoping that I can get as much of the tackle I can while I'm in college and working part time, as when I get out of college, I'd be spending all of my wages on new rods and reels!:eek:mg: Then, the money that I save can go on club memberships!:D

And with this many places to fish around my area, it's all I usually do! Ha ha!

But yes I'd be a tackle tart, I'm just a low-budget one at the moment...
Stay with Cal. I hope your fishing enthusiasm lasts. Finishing education and getting out into the bigger world often puts fishing on hold for many anglers.
A lot come back to it judging by the requests for info headed usually " a lot has changed. How do I....?
:)

ravey

Reaction score
Several years in education, and then...marriage, job, kids...and very little time! Hope you fare better, Cal!

I have no preference over rod joint types; I have put-in, put-over and spigot.

As The Bad One said, take care to clean them.

I find applications of Jointsave a good precaution, which practically eliminates wear.

cal_sutt

Reaction score
Stay with Cal. I hope your fishing enthusiasm lasts. Finishing education and getting out into the bigger world often puts fishing on hold for many anglers.
A lot come back to it judging by the requests for info headed usually " a lot has changed. How do I....
:)

Oh I fully intend to stick with it through to the end, I thoroughly enjoy a wide variety of methods and can be happy catching anything. I must be one of the few who, at my age, understands the more magical side of catching anything from minnows right up to big fat carp.

The bad one

Reaction score
Just a further note on this I have a system when I pack up that goes -
Bait bucket gets emptied of any bait left
Bits I carry in it go in first
Other bits get put in my rucksack, scales etc. Then top bag zip is closed.

Then I breakdown the rods. The tip end (top section) goes to the floor and the jointing section on the back of my chair. Then the butt end to the floor, joint end back of my chair. Female joint gets brush down the pipe and spigot gets a wipe.
Reel(s) get packed away and pocket zipped up.
Rod(s) with no reels get banded together individually then go in one rod sleeve.
Tips here, I use cycle inertube as the bands, last for years if you don't lose them. Always have plenty of spears on my butt sections just in case.
You can BTW get two Barbel rods in one sleeve with no reels on. But you must put them in together not separately.
Rod(s) then go away in my sling well away from where I'm packing up. Over the years I've heard too many oh Sh*ts and a crunching noise when people are packing up in the dark.
Landing net is second to last to be packed away, last being the front rod rests.
All that's left then is to pick up and fold the chair down and I'm away to the car park. Really do't have to check that I've not left anything, but I do, as the system is so well drilled over many, many years I know I haven't.

cal_sutt

Reaction score
Just a further note on this I have a system when I pack up that goes -
Bait bucket gets emptied of any bait left
Bits I carry in it go in first
Other bits get put in my rucksack, scales etc. Then top bag zip is closed.

Then I breakdown the rods. The tip end (top section) goes to the floor and the jointing section on the back of my chair. Then the butt end to the floor, joint end back of my chair. Female joint gets brush down the pipe and spigot gets a wipe.
Reel(s) get packed away and pocket zipped up.
Rod(s) with no reels get banded together individually then go in one rod sleeve.
Tips here, I use cycle inertube as the bands, last for years if you don't lose them. Always have plenty of spears on my butt sections just in case.
You can BTW get two Barbel rods in one sleeve with no reels on. But you must put them in together not separately.
Rod(s) then go away in my sling well away from where I'm packing up. Over the years I've heard too many oh Sh*ts and a crunching noise when people are packing up in the dark.
Landing net is second to last to be packed away, last being the front rod rests.
All that's left then is to pick up and fold the chair down and I'm away to the car park. Really do't have to check that I've not left anything, but I do, as the system is so well drilled over many, many years I know I haven't.

I'm the same but the last few are packed away in different order; rod rests/pod/tripod gets taken down and put in bag/carry case, rods are left cast out lying on the floor, I then pack up the net and put it aside. Whenever I go on a session, I always pack up and leave myself 10 or 15 minutes of fishing with all the gear packed away - except the rods! You never know what you could get in the last 10 minutes or so of a session, or even while you're packing up those last few bits and bobs. It's certainly happened to me quite a few times! Always leave the rods till last.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Tempting, but there's always one fish determined to make you look a fool (remembers and blushes): unless you're very good at re-assembling your landing-net with one hand while playing a fish with the other, leave the landing-net till last!