Sea Trout runs etc.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Does anyone have any basic info on this. I know it will vary from river to river but, what times of the year do Sea Trout normally run into a river and when do they depart. The same info for eels, sea lampreys would help as well if anyone has any knowledge or any idea. Thanks.

The bad one

Reaction score
As a general rule Mark, it's the Spring time March to June. On the Ribble the greatest run of STs is mid April to mid May.

mick b

Reaction score
We get ST in two runs, small fish first then the bigger fish in the Autumn.

We also have 'washbacks' which are fish that run up a river, stay for a few weeks, then run back down to the sea and either run up the river again or go up another river further along the coast.
Sizes are 8-12oz up to mid 20s, doubles being quite common.

While they are at sea they stay close to shore and can be caught on all the usual methods plus ledgered ragworm, bread flake and mackerel bits meant for crabs (a good double was landed last year at Mudeford Key on this bait :D )

Pm me if you want precise locations ;)

The bad one

Reaction score
Just shows the variance in different river in different regions Mick, on the Ribble the big fish are caught in the Spring and smaller. less of them, fish in the Autumn.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
We get ST in two runs, small fish first then the bigger fish in the Autumn.

We also have 'washbacks' which are fish that run up a river, stay for a few weeks, then run back down to the sea and either run up the river again or go up another river further along the coast.
Sizes are 8-12oz up to mid 20s, doubles being quite common.

While they are at sea they stay close to shore and can be caught on all the usual methods plus ledgered ragworm, bread flake and mackerel bits meant for crabs (a good double was landed last year at Mudeford Key on this bait :D )

Pm me if you want precise locations ;)

Your alright Mick, wouldn't want to poach your swim/fish when your there, maybe when your not looking !. I have heard of Mudeford, is that south Wales? Sure I caught a boat from there once.
Just wondered when these fish run up rivers and how long they stay in a river. I know salmon die but, I believe sea trout return to the sea. And what time of year Eels mostly run in or out. I doubt anyone knows much about sea lampreys. I know they run in but, I do not know if they return to the sea.

Last edited:

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Mark - here is a link to a downloadable pdf document by the WTT's South Coast Sea-Trout Project that is looking to help sea-trout run the Southern (Hants and Sussex especially) rivers in greater numbers.

http://ewww.wildtrout.org/sites/default/files/projects/South Coast Sea Trout Action Plan.pdf

Mudeford? Wales? Nope - it's The Run at the mouth of rivers Hants Avon and Dorset Stour near Christchurch, a great draw for visitors (I've got my Mum and Dad's black and white "snaps" of me handline crab-fishing off the promenade there as a six-year-old)!

greenie62

Reaction score
here is a link to a downloadable pdf document by the WTT's South Coast Sea-Trout Project

Nice one Paul,
A good read - it's a shame that a number of the costings for parts of the plan (particularly those where the EA is responsible) have no figures supplied - one must hope this was a temporary/timing problem rather than the EA couldn't / wouldn't supply estimates or saw little point in doing so 'cos they were sure they wouldn't get the funding! ;):rolleyes:
Cheers :thumbs:

mick b

Reaction score
You beat me to it Paul,
The good double was caught by a kid with using a crabline and a mesh bag full of macky offcuts, the greedy bu**er shovelled it up and got the mesh tangled in its teeth :eek:mg:
It was eventually netted by one of the Pro Bass fishos who also advise the kids Mum on how to cook it :D

Mark
No worries about you poaching Mark, our waters are patrolled by river keepers, EA staff with night vision equipment and eagle eye anglers.
Perhaps why we have more ST's than you can shake a stick at, even though the local kids always do their best to keep the numbers in check;)

Dunno if you know but when Brown trout were introduced to New Zealand they immediately ran down the rivers to the sea and became Sea Trout :eek:mg:

Never caught a Lamprey in freshwater, quite a few Flounder tho!

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Dunno if you know but when Brown trout were introduced to New Zealand they immediately ran down the rivers to the sea and became Sea Trout :eek:mg:

As did the browns introduced to southern Argentine and Chilean waters. I lost count of the number of double-figure sea-trout I had on fly down there over eight long trips, the biggest 2 ounces under 30 pounds. A mate of mine had a mind-boggling 37!

Another "dunno if you know" - brown trout if slowly introduced to saltwater at 10 degrees C / 50F will happily live in it. Did this in a large aquarium at an Avon salmon hatchery as a teenager.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Thanks for the link Paul, just had a quick look and will read through later at leisure. Looks interesting. And in relation to my other thread, very relevant.

Mudeford, new I had heard of it, been there, I was confusing it with somewhere else.

Interesting that about Brown Trout Mick, how they immediately became Sea Trout.
Sea Lamprey, only saw one once, just about the ugliest creature I have seen. It was stuck on a small weir, about 2ft long, a mottled grey colour, pale little eyes and a sucker mouth with teeth. The size of it surprised me. They run up rivers as well to breed. I believe they are becoming rare as well.

mick b

Reaction score
Sea Lamprey, only saw one once, just about the ugliest creature I have seen. It was stuck on a small weir, about 2ft long, a mottled grey colour, pale little eyes and a sucker mouth with teeth. The size of it surprised me. They run up rivers as well to breed. I believe they are becoming rare as well.

Can you please tell me when and where you saw this specimen.
PM me if its a 'private' location you don't want published nationally.

Thanks.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sea Lampreys.

Rare in some areas, relatively common in others.

The western Welsh rivers that I have long known, Towy, Teifi, Aeron, Rheidol, Cleddau etc, all good sea-trout and salmon rivers, have reasonable runs of the prehistoric-looking creatures. I once saw a pair of near-arm thick monsters writhing around in a small, middle-river tributary, spawning. Frightening.

The Wye and the Usk get them too, I believe.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Can you please tell me when and where you saw this specimen.
PM me if its a 'private' location you don't want published nationally.

Thanks.

It was about 15 years ago Mick. The river Rother at Bodiam in Kent or Sussex. (not sure which). I thought what the hell is that. Looked like it came from there.

seth49

Reaction score
About55 to 60 years ago. There was preserved in formalin a small lamprey at the village school I attended,It was labeled as a giant leech.the teacher didn't want to know what it really was,suppose giant leech sounded better.
There are still plenty of sea lampreys come up the river moy in Ireland.seen odd ones on the ribble.but I think they were the smaller river lampreys.

dalesman

Reaction score
On the Wear in Durham smaller fish run late spring though to July and late August till end of the season the big fellows turn up many in there teens and so do the poachers ripping for what they can catch.