Bankside cooking...

B

binka

I’ve been thinking about cooking gear for some time now, more with a view to Autumn & Winter sessions but also handy for my occasional overnighters and weekend sessions with a mate to relieve him of the burden and pull my weight by taking a turn… Not that it’s ever been an issue and the cooking has become a key, enjoyable part of a session.

I can’t go down the preferred Kelly Kettle route due to club rules but might still get one anyway for elsewhere.

Well… I went a bit mad on the Trakker stand today and pretty much got myself sorted I think, I went for the titanium stove with all the bits ‘n bobs and the ponsy pouch with the plates and cutlery etc along with five canisters of gas to kick things off and I’ve had my first cuppa from it this afternoon on the back garden and was quite impressed with the ease and speed of it all.

I really like the compactness of it all and the fact that I can easily fit everything in the cook bag along with the amount of food I/we are likely to need… Apart from the water drum of course!

And I have little doubt it will double up nicely for non-fishing related outings too.

With all of this in mind I was wondering what others do, I guess the carp lads will be the favourites on this one but all replies/hints/tips would be gratefully received...

nicepix

Reaction score
I posted this a few years ago on a barbel forum. The Kelly Kettle on the left has all the components of the gaz stove, pans, water, etc on the right.

And with careful packing there is also room up the chimney for fire lighting equipment, tea, coffee and a travel knife, fork and spoon set. :)

law

Reaction score
When it comes to anything cooking related, I wont buy anything with a fishing name on it. Itll cost you around 1/4 of the price.

The best thing for food, is to cook a little extra dinner while at home, freeze it and re-heat it on the stove. Saves the shitty pot noodle diet.

Im amazed more non carpers dont take a stove. A decent warm bit of grub goes a long way in the winter!

B

binka

When it comes to anything cooking related, I wont buy anything with a fishing name on it. Itll cost you around 1/4 of the price.

I have to admit to having had a look around the net beforehand and thinking how remarkably similar some things looked, especially the stoves :eek:mg:

Im amazed more non carpers dont take a stove. A decent warm bit of grub goes a long way in the winter!

Couldn't agree more, when I'm "normal" fishing (general pleasure type with float or feeder gear) I don't like to break off as it interrupts feeding patterns etc but a planned break does no harm if it refuels you for the rest of the day, especially in cold weather.

For other types of fishing eg. pike, barbel etc I wouldn't consider the cooking a hindrance to the fishing as it could be done without impact to the fishing itself.

Either way I reckon i'll soon recoup the cost through not buying overpriced supermarket sarnies and McDonalds breakfasts and have a good time to boot :w

---------- Post added at 22:29 ---------- Previous post was at 22:18 ----------

I posted this a few years ago on a barbel forum. The Kelly Kettle on the left has all the components of the gaz stove, pans, water, etc on the right.

And with careful packing there is also room up the chimney for fire lighting equipment, tea, coffee and a travel knife, fork and spoon set. :)

Clive... that gas stove on the right is the same one which my mate uses and is commonly referred to as "the drill" because of the case :D

Its done a fine job too and is still going strong, I think he paid £12.99 for it from Wilko's!

It's a general joke between us that we can work out the cost of doing something and then add another zero if it's left to me :eek:mg:

terry m

Reaction score
I too favour the battery drill cooker, they are very stable.

The Trakker kit is decent quality, although I must admit I opted for the larger kettle size.

Warm anglers are more effective.

john step

Reaction score
I know law doesn't like "shitty pot noodles" but the instant porridge version is much better. It might be my lack of culinary sensitivities and breeding :) but I can't differentiate it from traditional porridge. Very warming too.

B

binka

The Trakker kit is decent quality, although I must admit I opted for the larger kettle size.

Now you've started something! :D

I looked at the output ratings on the Trakker stoves and they were given in some sort of power unit measurement on their website and then I tried to compare them on the Go Outdoors site with some of their stoves and the ratings were given in "boil time"? :confused:

An impossible, accidental comparison or a conspiracy theory waiting to happen? :D :D

On the kettle size I was a bit put out by the small size but then found it would easily fill two cups and thought that the nearer I could get to requirement the better the efficiency in a lower "boil time" of less volume.

And... it stacks inside the other stuff :D :D :D

---------- Post added at 23:08 ---------- Previous post was at 23:05 ----------

I know law doesn't like "shitty pot noodles" but the instant porridge version is much better. It might be my lack of culinary sensitivities and breeding :) but I can't differentiate it from traditional porridge. Very warming too.

Porridge, or Ready Brek (???), was always my first choice for a lasting warm before going fishing in Winter.

Anyone remember the old adverts where the kids were going to school in lousy weather with the orange glow around them?

They weren't kidding :)

Edited to add: Found the advert...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1KUoS3mmvM

Last edited:

hyperdrive

Reaction score
I just use a little single camping stove that I've had for years and was pretty cheap, I think around a tenner, I also have a lamp that uses the same gas canisters. I use the old plastic plates that we used to use when we had a caravan. I have a water container that has the tap in the lid so I just lay it on its side on a stool. For shorter sessions I just use a standard 5 litre container that at one time had screenwash in it (makes good frothy coffee:eek:mg:) Grab some cutlery out the drawer and a cool bag/box that came from tescos and I'm good to go. None of it is green or camo though:wh

peterjg

Reaction score
Sorry chaps - you are all wrong! you can't beat a Primus 96 paraffin stove. Mine was made in 1932, I've used it constantly for around 30 years - that's an awful lot of tea and fry-ups! Also used for cooking hemp on the bank. It has never let me down and is cheap to run. It runs on paraffin and is primed with meths.

mick b

Reaction score
:confused:

Why take water with you, your sitting beside gallons of it....:confused:

Just love the Dogie Binka...(big smiley here)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
For a day session I usually only take flasks and maybe my Kelly Kettle for a decent brew at the end of the day.

I use Aladdin wide mouth flasks for soups, left over casseroles and stews or one of my favorites in the winter being a can of minestrone soup with a few of my breakfast sausages thrown in while still warm.

For an overnight or weekend session then I see no point in kneeling down to cook so I tend to go the camping route.

I use a Sunngas Double Burner that takes detachable gas cylinders and lets you cook and boil a kettle at the same time.

I usually also take my Cobb BBQ as well as you can prepare and cook a decent joint of meat and vegetables while you fish. It virtually cooks itself with little or no interaction once you have filled it, and it uses environmentally friendly compressed coconut husks as a fuel and they last about 3 hours.

http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/...snetterton-2010-picture2020-cooking-zone.html

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You can't beat the nice big fillet of pulled pork done in the Dutch oven which I will be treating the members of my syndicate to on Wednesday. I'll take some pictures and post them next weekend.

greenie62

Reaction score
Well… I went a bit mad on the Trakker stand today and pretty much got myself sorted I think, I went for the titanium stove with all the bits ‘n bobs and the ponsy pouch with the plates and cutlery etc along with five canisters of gas to kick things off and I’ve had my first cuppa from it this afternoon on the back garden and was quite impressed with the ease and speed of it all.

I really like the compactness of it all and the fact that I can easily fit everything in the cook bag along with the amount of food I/we are likely to need… Apart from the water drum of course!

Hi Steve,
Was the Westie disposal/recycling unit from the Trakker stand as well? ;)
Could be the deciding factor for me - we lost ours 3 months ago - complications arising from diabetes.

Why does your club forbid Kellies? I thought they were pretty safe.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
You can't beat the nice big fillet of pulled pork done in the Dutch oven

We had something similar last autumn when one of the members brought along a Dutch Oven to a work party.

For ease of use though I would opt for the Cobb, and the only restriction on recipes is really only one's own imagination.

A fishing buddy of mine makes Pizza on his.

Cobb GB - Recipes

neil1970

Reaction score
Anyone remember the old adverts where the kids were going to school in lousy weather with the orange glow around them?

They weren't kidding :)

Edited to add: Found the advert...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1KUoS3mmvM

I worked for the little lad in the advert (when he was grown up and directing tv/movies)

Lovely bloke, though he did say his parents stopped him acting as he was getting too precocious:D

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Short sessions i take a single stove, 2/3 days or more, i have a twin stove with grill, got mine for £25 years ago, Halfords ,Go Outdoors do one for about £40, the gas bottle is £13 but lasts for ages.

B

binka

Well… Everything had its first shakedown this afternoon and I was pretty pleased all things considered.

I will have to change my bankside diet to avoid a Sean Connery but for a quick test the bacon and sausage went down rather well, I was initially a bit concerned at the small diameter of the frying pan (they also do a larger one too) but considering I wanted this stuff to be light, compact and highly portable it all did its job very well and barely felt much more to carry over a half a mile of riverbank.

The recent change to making a cuppa on the bank from boiling water taken in a flask was an improvement but no substitute for "boil on the bank".

I just need a couple more bits ‘n bobs which I hadn’t foreseen such as an insulated bag for the food itself and I reckon a good spag bol will be on its way before you can say ready steady cook.

All in all very pleased…

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The most i'd do for a days fishing is take a flask and maybe a few sandwiches. If I was staying overnight and the following day then i'd take a small gas stove, a pan, kettle and a few tins of soup. I just can't be arsed messin about trying to cook food when i'm out on a fishing trip....I must be a miserable git or summot lol.