Remote Shutter Release

terry m

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience of remote shutter release devices for cameras. I am not talking about the high end OEM options, more the generic gadget that will fit any small camera?

I have seen one or two advertised for ~£30 but they look a bit Heath Robinson.

Any advice or experiences appreciated.

greenie62

Reaction score
Hi Terry,
Are you talking about a digital camera r/c or mechanical shutter release - and does the camera have a 'threaded' release button? If digi-cam - still/movie? - also what external interfaces has it got?

terry m

Reaction score
No, there is no threaded shutter release port, I am referring to the 'fit all' generic contraptions that actuate the button through what I believe is air pressure from a remote rubber bulb that is compressed.

greenie62

Reaction score
The one I used to use on the old film-camera was the plunger-type which needed to screw into the shutter release button like this:http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41RklinTd5L.jpg
The rubber-bulb type used to connect in the same way, with the air-pressure pushing a 'needle' in the end of the connecting pipe into the release.
What make of camera is it?

bigfish74

Reaction score
Weve just had this very conversation on a facebook fishing page yesterday and ablut mkbile timer apps i tried a few thaat disnt work then realised my htc has a built in timer lol

Andy

peterjg

Reaction score
I take a Panasonic Lumix camera fishing. The timer (10 seconds) is ok for smaller fish like roach. With bIg fish like carp or catfish there is not enough time to correctly pick up the fish so I have made an aluminium frame which holds the camera on a bank stick and which is operated by a bulb release. I was very careful how I made the frame ensuring that the cameras shutter button would not be damaged - it works well. Set the camera up a bit further away than normally required and then, if necessary, you can zoom in and frame when printing. I have used infrared remotes in the past (as recommended by Jim Gibbinson) but find the bulb release system better.

terry m

Reaction score
Yes, my camera has a 10 second delay, but that is not nearly enough when photographing large fish.

PeterJG I would be interested in a picture of the frame that you have crafted.

mick b

Reaction score
Peterig's custom made shutter release just goes to show the inventiveness we anglers are capable off when it comes to our sport.

I also use a Lumix Panasonic, certainly the perfect Anglers camera imo.

I don't have a problem with remote release as Im never in the picture, all my fish are photographed laying on my net, afterall I know what I look like....:eek:mg:

:D

peterjg

Reaction score
Terry m - I'm useless with computers. In very simple terms how do I put a photo onto this forum?

greenie62

Reaction score
I don't have a problem with remote release as Im never in the picture, all my fish are photographed laying on my net, afterall I know what I look like....
:D ..... and you wouldn't want to crack the lens would you? ;):eek::eek:mg:
Cheers Mick :thumbs:

P

pointngo

For self takes the air bulb release and plunger is probably the best option there is as it allows you to take the pic exactly when everything is perfect. Kneeling on the bulb leaves both hands free and means there's no pressing the timed release and running back to hold the fish up under control. I'm sure we all have had that go wrong!

Self Take Camera Kit For Compact Cameras - Johnson Ross Tackle

The only issue is setting them up.. fine if you're static for a decent period but too cumbersome for roving imho.