Cheap guest rod

neil1970

Reaction score
I thought I'd ask if anyone can point me in the right direction.
I need another rod for when people I'm trying to get interested in fishing come down with me.

A quivertip with the power to land the odd small barbel would be the best route, I think.

Any suggestions up to £35 would be more than welcome, I've seen the new korum rods, but a bit beyond budget.

mick b

Reaction score
A quivertip with the power to land the odd small barbel would be the best route, I think.

Any suggestions up to £35 would be more than welcome, I've seen the new korum rods, but a bit beyond budget.

Check out Cash Converters they have some nice rods within your budget.....
........sometimes :D

Sorry mate I couldn't resist :eek:mg:

(Id get 'em a Dragon something.....but only give 'em 10 yards of line :wh )

robtherake

Reaction score
( ....but only give 'em 10 yards of line :wh )

That's all my first (second hand) reel had on it! It took me a week to twig that you could buy more of the stuff - I'd never seen the inside of a tackle shop before :eek:mg:

gaasliam

Reaction score
Go Outdoors have £10 rods. My mate has a feeder rod and says its fine. I got a tele spinning rod to take on holiday and its good. You do need a membership card at £10 a year but the fishing section is pretty good for kit and bait.

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
A £10 rod might be ok for the odd small barbel but what if a 15 pounder takes a liking to the bait on your hook?
One way or the other it won't be a happy ending.

greenie62

Reaction score
A £10 rod might be ok for the odd small barbel but what if a 15 pounder takes a liking to the bait on your hook?
One way or the other it won't be a happy ending.

You can be just as screwed if the same happens with a rod costing 10 times that! :eek: - Even if it's been subject to a sneaky viral advertising campaign on this / other forums! ;):rolleyes:
You can't always go tooled-up for the maximum size of fish in the water - after all we're only talking about a 'guest rod' - not neccessarily one that you are going out to specimen-hunt a PB for!

neil1970

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies and suggestions all.

Thanks to PC I am now sorted, (with something decent) on that front.

The intention was always for me to fish with the guest rod, so now its going to be a much better experience.

(for me:D)

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What about a guest licence? I know your licence allows you to use two rods but your guest will also need their own licence, it would be a bit counter productive if their first fishing trip culminated with a trip to the magistrates court and a criminal record.

neil1970

Reaction score
I took someone last week, they had their very own EA approved fishing license and a ticket for the water.

Obviously anyone who I take on such 'guest' outings who did not own such an unheard of thing would be firmly marched down to the local post office, and then handed their ticket as soon as they had purchased an officially EA approved licence for one whole days fishing.

The club that I am a member of does not allow two rods to be fished by a single person.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Glad to hear it, I might not personally agree with the rod licence fee, I actually see it as a stealth tax on anglers, but I also don't agree with avoiding it.