30mm Ball maker problem - mix sticking

magicone

Reaction score
I got a 30mm ball maker, each half has a push-out and a slot for the line.

The problem I have is that when making a ball with the hook in the center and the two push outs of each half are pushed.

When the two halves of the mould are separated, the ball sticks in the moulds and breaks in two.

Tried different levels of moisture content in the method mix with no joy, yet using a method rig mould the mixes are ok.

Any clues of how to stop the mix sticking in ball mould.

Thanks

laguna

Reaction score
If your mix is too sticky (due to oily content?) I would agree with what Ray said and wet the inside of the mould first - use a surfactant to aid wetting plastics.
Alternatively coat the insides with some fine maize meal first, any stickiness will adhere to the powder coating

greenie62

Reaction score
use a surfactant to aid wetting plastics.
Translation for non-scientists: Surfactant = Suface Active agent = detergent

Can you suggest a suitable detegent for such use that is ecologically sound, non-polluting, non-toxic, etc? Perhaps Laguna provide one? ;):eek::eek:mg:

There's a set-up for a marketing pitch for you! :D

sagalout

Reaction score
Wipe the surfaces with oil? Tuna oil, hemp oil, add chilli flakes to vegetable oil to make a chilli oil cheaply, etc. I would think a single wipe should last for several balls, or you may find you like your balls in chilli hemp oil and do it all the time.

laguna

Reaction score
Translation for non-scientists: Surfactant = Suface Active agent = detergent

Can you suggest a suitable detegent for such use that is ecologically sound, non-polluting, non-toxic, etc? Perhaps Laguna provide one? ;):eek::eek:mg:

There's a set-up for a marketing pitch for you! :D
Sorry yes most emulsifiers can be considered surfactants or surface-active agents. Mayonnaise is one such edible product, egg yolk lecithin, a milk protein called sodium caseinate, glycerine can be used as a barrier for oily materials etc. but this doesnt wet so well like an emulsion.