Millets

sumtime

Reaction score
In the city centre today to buy some fruit off the stalls so popped into Millets for a pair of waterproof packable pants, the shop had moved today to premises facing the old shop, got 10% knocked of the pants and was informed they will be getting fishing tackle in soon, keep yer eyes peeled.

kpr1969

Reaction score
oooooh you mean the Liverpool store
Always good to check out the sale racks in there..

mick b

Reaction score
Doesnt that Ashley guy own Millets, he seems to own everything else ?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The Millets store in Salisbury closed down some time ago.

Today the premises are occupied by the Cafe Rouge where the Pain Perdu makes for a great brekkie, unless like myself you are diabetic in which case it is still worth a punt providing you top up on the old insulin beforehand . . . . . . . . . . Alternatively their Oeufs Royale are a good substitute.

---------- Post added at 09:11 ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 ----------

Doesnt that Ashley guy own Millets, he seems to own everything else

LOL, with 7 years remaining on his contract I reckon it is Alan Pardew who "owns" Mike Ashley . . . . . . . .

mick b

Reaction score
Cafe Rouge where the Pain Perdu makes for a great brekkie, unless like myself you are diabetic in which case it is still worth a punt providing you top up on the old insulin beforehand . . . . . . . . . . Alternatively their Oeufs Royale are a good substitute.

Must try that establishment.

Somehow I never get past the Cote.
Their Poulet 'Breton' chargrilled is superb, start with the olives and a decent Red and finish with their Apple Tart with Calvados Cream, all rounded off with a glass of Port :eek:mg:

Helps to make up for the town not having a decent Tackle shop.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Somehow I never get past the Cote. Their Poulet 'Breton' chargrilled is superb, start with the olives and a decent Red and finish with their Apple Tart with Calvados Cream, all rounded off with a glass of Port

I was a little downhearted when the Polly Tea rooms closed down to be reborn as the Cote as it was the last proper tea room left in Salisbury.

However, Cote makes for a great place for a meal and my daughter and I are in there quite regularly for a late lunch in town and I usually opt for the Duck Breast but my daughter loves the Breton Poulet.

The only reasonable place now for afternoon tea is in the Milford House Hotel I suppose . . . . . . shame really

You are right regarding a tackle shop. I drive to Downton to visit Dave moody at Reid's Tackle on Witherington Farm Lakes

sam vimes

Reaction score
Mike Ashley is reputed to have just shy of a 30% stake in Blacks Leisure Group, the owners of both Milletts and Blacks outdoor shops.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Mike Ashley is reputed to have just shy of a 30% stake in Blacks Leisure Group, the owners of both Milletts and Blacks outdoor shops.

My first ever proper tent was a Blacks Standard Good Companion with the extended flysheet, and that was a good few years ago . . . . . . . . it had an A Frame configuration which was one of the first of its kind in those days.

I never knew that Ashley had an interest in both though.

mick b

Reaction score
My first ever proper tent was a Blacks Standard Good Companion with the extended flysheet, and that was a good few years ago . . . . . . . . it had an A Frame configuration which was one of the first of its kind in those days.

Mine was a Blacks Itiza, don't remember much about it except it was the first easily available to have a stitched-in groundsheet, just peg it down, crawl inside and erect the poles, worked especially well if it was blowing a hoolie.
Stood me in good stead throughout my DofE's but cannot remember where it went after :confused:

Those were the days when all of Blacks kit was 'Made in Britain' wonder how much of it is today?

sagalout

Reaction score
It's alright you common folk, Salisbury has a Reeves the baker and a Wetherpoons so you can get proper grub.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
It's alright you common folk, Salisbury has a Reeves the baker and a Wetherpoons so you can get proper grub.

There ought to be a prize given to anyone who can use the words 'Wetherspoons' and 'proper grub' in juxtaposition . . . . . . (sorry Nigel)

Mind you, following the fire a few years ago Stobey's Fish and Chip Shop reopened some time ago; the only problem being trying to bloody well park anywhere near the place . . . Grrrrrr

greenie62

Reaction score
....... was informed they will be getting fishing tackle in soon, keep yer eyes peeled.
Eh la',
Any news on the tackle front - the local Millets closed down some time ago - our nearest now is in Warrington - as you are probably aware there is currently an embargo on movement between the two towns until after the RL Semi-final tomorrow evening!
Looking at their website, it looks very similar to the offerings at Sports Direct - mainly TFG / Fladen tackle: The Sale at Millets - don't know if that's going to inspire me to go to Warrington - they don't even have any pies there:eek: - do they? ;):rolleyes:
Tight Lines!

terry m

Reaction score
Mind you, following the fire a few years ago Stobey's Fish and Chip Shop reopened some time ago; the only problem being trying to bloody well park anywhere near the place . . . Grrrrrr

I had forgotten about Stoby's.

Back in the 1970's, pre 24 hour drinking, every Friday and Saturday night as the squaddies piled out of the Market Inn at kicking out time and into Stoby's there was almost always some sort of altercation, sometimes pretty serious.

I remember a time when I could get a portion of chips for 6p on the way home from school in there. Memories....

sumtime

Reaction score
Eh la',
Any news on the tackle front - the local Millets closed down some time ago - our nearest now is in Warrington - as you are probably aware there is currently an embargo on movement between the two towns until after the RL Semi-final tomorrow evening!
Looking at their website, it looks very similar to the offerings at Sports Direct - mainly TFG / Fladen tackle: The Sale at Millets - don't know if that's going to inspire me to go to Warrington - they don't even have any pies there:eek: - do they? ;):rolleyes:
Tight Lines!

Hi, Mike, had a chat with one of the staff, she says it's gonna be the New Year before they get the fishing stuff in, believe a lot of people have been in asking the same question.