Time to re-equip

dalesman

Reaction score
Been away from the forum and any form of fishing for most of this year after being told I going to loose my right leg. Which put me into bad place and I sold all my gear, but after a couple of ops and lots of pyshio my surgeon now feels there's no need for removal on condition I don't jump in and out rivers wading or carry on rock climbing.

cal_sutt

Reaction score
Best thing you can do is get a really comfy chair and a couple of new rods. Whether you have leg problems or not, this is still most anglers' ideal way of fishing...

john step

Reaction score
Been away from the forum and any form of fishing for most of this year after being told I going to loose my right leg. Which put me into bad place and I sold all my gear, but after a couple of ops and lots of pyshio my surgeon now feels there's no need for removal on condition I don't jump in and out rivers wading or carry on rock climbing.
This makes the case for places where anglers can fish close to their car I think.
Sorry you sold your gear, must have been a very dark place to contemplate that.
Tight lines for the future.

dalesman

Reaction score
This makes the case for places where anglers can fish close to their car I think.
Sorry you sold your gear, must have been a very dark place to contemplate that.
Tight lines for the future.

Yeah it was, always ben a running water person who rove the banks, the problem I have is stepping down the banks and my local river swale can be at least 16 foot below the top of the bank.

So it looks like investing into commercial gear once I done some research on what to buy.

Can you and are you allowed to rove commercial venues?

john step

Reaction score
Yeah it was, always ben a running water person who rove the banks, the problem I have is stepping down the banks and my local river swale can be at least 16 foot below the top of the bank.

So it looks like investing into commercial gear once I done some research on what to buy.

My experience of commies is very limited but I should imagine at less busy times there would be nothing to stop you.

cal_sutt

Reaction score

I've never had problems on commercials when I've wanted to have a rove around. Most of my commercial work in the past included roving. I'd usually (as long as the lake was quiet on the day) bait up a good selection of swims, sometimes ten or more. Once I'd baited up the swims, I'd head back to the first one I'd done and start there, working my way around to the final swim I'd baited and each time I moved, I'd chuck in some more bait so I could come back to it later if needs be. Great fun and certainly an effective method on bigger commercial lakes.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your leg, but good to know that you didn't lose it.

I am sure you will be able to find a nice swim on a river, not far from the car park, and easy access at the bank.

Being a river rover, you will get fed up with lakes all the time.

Good luck

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Dalesman.......You seem to make light of what you've been through this past year or so, or at least you haven't lost your sense of humour ! It must have been very tough...

I suppose if you find you cannot manage rivers with dodgy banks you may well find some with 'platforms' that some clubs build for disabled anglers, failing which (maybe) canals are an option with good banks, not too much flow though!

I wish you well and hope you find something suitable via FM - somebody will have an answer...........

ps I suggest many anglers would have trouble with 16' banks - two good legs or no!!!

pps Might be worth giving your rough location for people to make suggestions around suitable fishing spots...?

Last edited:

dalesman

Reaction score
I suggest many anglers would have trouble with 16' banks - two good legs or no!!!.

Might be worth giving your rough location for people to make suggestions around suitable fishing spots...?

Fishing Yorkshire dales river you need to be a bit of a mountain goat. My main river is the Swale and the Ure above Ripon.

cattyfatty

Reaction score
im from ripon and have had health issues in the last year and had to give up the rivers .
so i fished the backwash pond on the rpa book ,there's pently of stocks fish to go at and not many anglers get down there and have the place to yourself and can move about from peg to peg if you needed to .
brick yards fisheries on the way out to the A1 on the road you would come in from leeming.
Southfield fisheries at rainton just a little down further at next turn off.
here are 3 which ive been going to.
if you ever want to have a go at wetting a line, ive got some spare tackle you could use to try out. the offer there for you.

mick b

Reaction score
Hey Daley, welcome back :D

I 'came back' from something similar to you a few years ago so I understand something of what you have been through.

Look around at what 'you' want to do, not what others tell you your (only) capable of doing is my advice.
If you want it enough you and your body will find a way, believe me.

Above all don't let your head go to sleep, its absolutely essential to keep your mind on positive thoughts and I found that going fishing was one of the best ways to achieve it.
I also found meditation helped me, it might seem a bit 'way out' for a Northcountryman, but feel free to pm me if your interested?

dalesman

Reaction score
im from ripon and have had health issues in the last year and had to give up the rivers .
so i fished the backwash pond on the rpa book ,there's pently of stocks fish to go at and not many anglers get down there and have the place to yourself and can move about from peg to peg if you needed to .
brick yards fisheries on the way out to the A1 on the road you would come in from leeming.
Southfield fisheries at rainton just a little down further at next turn off.
here are 3 which ive been going to.
if you ever want to have a go at wetting a line, ive got some spare tackle you could use to try out. the offer there for you.

I have fished the brickyard in the past, we will arrange a date to wet a line.
Sat nipping downs to the Oaks to pick myself a feeder rod and reel up :)