Reaction score
Browning 330 ambition rear drag reel

41-pPcVVGEL._SX300_.jpg

As the title suggest the clutch sticks any suggestions much appreciated

Last edited:

bennygesserit

Reaction score
You could always backwind Benny :wh

I thought about that , if I fished more often it might be worth learning.

---------- Post added at 22:02 ---------- Previous post was at 22:01 ----------

I took the spool off and sprayed it with WD40 that's about it.

mick b

Reaction score
Benny,
The drag is under the cap on the stern (back) of the reel body.

Remove the end screw and remove/tip out all the drag washers....make a note of the way they are stacked and which end of the stack goes in first.
The stack will comprise of alternate metal and fibre discs around the size of a shilling (5p) :eek:mg:

Wash the whole stack in petrol to degrease, the carefully clean each one by laying flat on piece of kitchen paper, take care the fibre ones can be very brittle.
Check the metal washers for corrosion, if you find corroded areas polish them smooth with fine emery paper 800 - 1000 grade is ideal and clean again.

Next clean out the end cap thoroughly.

Reassemble with a touch of Locktight on the retaining screw and your good to go.

Any problems comeback.

No relationship whatsoever to Peters ex.

Last edited:

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Benny,
The drag is under the cap on the stern (back) of the reel body.

Remove the end screw and remove/tip out all the drag washers....make a note of the way they are stacked and which end of the stack goes in first.
The stack will comprise of alternate metal and fibre discs around the size of a shilling (5p) :eek:mg:

Wash the whole stack in petrol to degrease, the carefully clean each one by laying flat on piece of kitchen paper, take care the fibre ones can be very brittle.
Check the metal washers for corrosion, if you find corroded areas polish them smooth with fine emery paper 800 - 1000 grade is ideal and clean again.

Next clean out the end cap thoroughly.

Reassemble with a touch of Locktight on the retaining screw and your good to go.

Any problems comeback.

No relationship whatsoever to Peters ex.

Fantastic - many thanks Mick , will report back when I have attempted.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Yes,do....I'd be interested to know which reel you decide to get to replace the Browning.:D

ha ha it is a bit like that , its my Son's reel , this is mine
bennygesserit-albums-my-first-album-picture3864-image.jpg
( probable cost in todays money about 6 quid lots of medium size ( 5 - 15 lb ) commercial carp and tench caught on it plus a monster Perch and a 5lb Pike from the canal).

The Browning seems to tangle line at every opportunity , if you stop reeling it gradually settles to its lowest energy state like a finely oiled bike wheel does, however the Browning looks nice and the amount being spent on fishing lately has begun to attract attention , so I thought I might fix it.

Having said that I do find my original reels, the Shakespeares in the picture, to have a very smooth clutch and be very robust , for small commercials they are fine apart from the dodgy line clip.

sagalout

Reaction score
you can always ask her any question on any subject
I married Miss Right, I just didn't know her first name was always.

For sale complete set of the Encyclopedia Britannica, no longer needed the wife knows everything.

For sale Honda fireblade 1000cc every extra, only 2 days old. Apparently "buy whatever the **** you want" doesn't mean what I thought.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I married Miss Right, I just didn't know her first name was always.

For sale complete set of the Encyclopedia Britannica, no longer needed the wife knows everything.

For sale Honda fireblade 1000cc every extra, only 2 days old. Apparently "buy whatever the **** you want" doesn't mean what I thought.

You didn't marry her after me did you?

Surely sounds blooming familiar to me . . . . . . . especially the motor bike bit . . . . . . .geeze, that's scarey

cg74

Reaction score
So look at the other end cheers Colin

Sorry for the slowness in replying, the joys of working with dial up speed.

All I'd do is give the drag/clutch a good spraying with WD40 (you may need to remove the reels side panel to gain access). Use it for a day, then have a look on your return, if it's crud free, lubricate with a bit of sewing machine oil or something similar.

mick b

Reaction score
The problem with using WD40 on a fishing reel is that its chief component is oil from Tunas, which is why it makes a good addition to hookbaits, and why it eventually causes more of a problem than it solves in fine machinery.

The drags of the very best reels are lubricated with a form of grease specifally designed for the purpose, and its not cheap either, 1oz costs around $8 US.

If in doubt use fine machine oil as a general lubricant for fishing reels and run the drags dry (and clean) if the correct drag grease isn't available.

nicepix

Reaction score
I've never had a problem with WD40 when used for cleaning or freeing jammed components. It might not be the best product for long term lubrication, that's not what its designed for. But for freeing a stuck or sticking clutch then I'd have no hesitation in using it in the first instance.

Once the problem had been resolved using WD40 I would swab out the internals and re-lube using the silicone spray lube used for bikes. I use it on front and rear clutch components and all sorts of jobs round the house and car.