Just popped in.....

C

charlie smiff

To say hello, actually I am stalking PJ, but don't tell him!:wh:D

Returning angler after a loooooong time away, prone to doing everything the old fashioned way, bug wafting small streams and rivers, and trotting and free lining with a nice supple match rod and a silky centre pin reel, I definitely have a preference for natural venues, the more peaceful and tranquil the better.

I thought that this place looked like it might be the kind of place that I might glean a bit of knowledge with particular regard to the bug wafting, bit of a learner on that front, and I am very interested in learning how to tie my own flies and nymphs.

PJ?? Our paths have crossed on another forum, and I am newly familiar with rather a good blog he has running:)

Cheers to all, Charlie.

hunters moon

Reaction score
:):) good morning Charlie welcome to the forum, I do hope you enjoy f/m and
good luck with the fly tying it's not only very rewarding but also great fun.
wishing you tight lines.

....I have fished through fishless days that I remember happily without regret.
....Roderick haig-brown.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum , we always need more stalkers well done :)

C

charlie smiff

Thanks for all your welcomes gents, I have to say that I am a bit puzzled as to what is the best way of learning to tie flies, it seems to me that a hands on course of some sort would be the best way of kicking off, but are there such things?

I will content myself with buying some decent (I hope) dry flies to start with, and any suggestions would be welcome? I have so far held back from purchasing any rods or reels and tackle, I have an idea of what I want for my trotting activities, and even what I want for a bit of coarse fishing now and again. I am a bit lost on the fly fishing though, so although I have some fancies, (Wychwood appeals), I don't really know what the best thing for me is, except I know I want to fish light in small streams and rivers of which we have very many down here in the west country.

Perhaps I should say that I am well past my sell by date, and I have some mobility issues to do with my legs, which means I can't do any adventurous rock scrabbling or deep wading really. I think I will be ok with shallow wading. I can walk about 1/4 mile but then I have to rest a bit, before moving on, I suppose all this means I will have to be careful and to suss out any possible beats before hand? Anyway, any advice or info that might come to mind, and that you think will help me will be most appreciated:)

Cheers, Charlie.