Hi, newbie again

lookabaa

Reaction score
Hi all, Two weeks ago I went fishing for the first time in about 12 years!

I enjoyed it so much that I've been again yesterday and plan on going regularly again :)

I was born in the 70's and grew up with a Father who fished matches on the Trent. When I was about 10 I used to get up at 3am so that I could go along to sit behind him.

He took me fishing for the first time when I was 11 and I had a 12lb mixed bag, which included a 2.4lb Jack Pike, on the feeder at Long Higgin/Little Higgin.

Unfortunately my Dad packed fishing up not long after this and began racing greyhounds instead :'( From this point my cousins and I would go to a local lake to fish for Tench a couple of times each June using a setup my Dad taught us.

My younger cousin was taken in by one of my Dad's old club members and became a very accomplished angler that wins a lot of matches on commercials to this day.

I however didn't get to go fishing again till I was about 20 years old and had my own car and a budget.

I started off using my Dad's old tackle but after going fishing with my now extremely experienced cousin I decided to get a pole and about 2 years into fishing I began fishing matches on commercials.

Each year I would always sneak off for a session on the River Trent and would often get my Dad to come fishing as a Birthday treat for myself and got him to teach me to fish the stick float one year.

The stick float has always been my favourite style of fishing as it's what my Dad loved and talked about when I was growing up. John Dean owned the local tackle shop in those days and was my Dad's idol.

Just as I was getting into match fishing, work commitments and then women and children commitments got in the way and suddenly I didn't go fishing in over 10 years!

In the mean time my Dad came back to fishing and has been going again for a few years and despite being a Trent old boy is now often beating some of the younger generation at the commercials despite his ill health.

We went fishing for my Birthday a couple of weeks ago and I was hooked again! Despite working weekends every week and some serious children commitments I managed to get out on the Trent yesterday and fished the stick. It was awesome with a bite every trot and I really want to go regular now.

Going fishing again has made me remember how much I love it! I used to sit reading the Art of Fishing which I collected all of in the heart of winter when I was a young teenager and couldn't go fishing.

I wish I could be in my twenties again so that I could go 2-3 times a week as the boss in doors is going to be my main obstacle for going nowdays :)

I won't be able to go match fishing again until my kids are grown up, eldest is 6, but I won't stop fishing ever again now!

I often wonder where I'd be now if my Dad hadn't stopped fishing when he did and gave me the experience my Cousin got as he ended up in magazines, sponsored I think and has won many big opens etc.

I'm pretty much a newbie again though after a 12 year gap so will be asking allsorts of questions :)

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
Welcome
Lots of us took a long break from angling
Then something clicks and we curse ourselves for all the wasted years away from the bank
:)

hunters moon

Reaction score
:):) welcome to the forum lookabaa I hope you enjoy f/m.

....I have fished through fishless days that I remember happily without regret.
....Roderick haig-brown.

C

charlie smiff

A Most enjoyable read that intro! Nice one Lookabaa, and welcome to the forum from another fishing drop out, I was away from it for 30 years, some on here might wish I had stayed away!:D:wh