Would you?

theartist

Reaction score
Here's a scenario if i may - You drive well over an hour, get your waders on and walk three meadows to a water you have not fished for ages and have looked forward to visiting again. You have permission to fish this water but on reaching the last meadow where your swims are located there is a sign that wasn't there last time that reads 'BEWARE OF THE BULL' You see the beast but he is well over the other side of the river downstream of a cattle crossing just chilling.

So do you fish it?

Or too risky?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score

squibbles

Reaction score
I would be very cautious if calves where present amongst the cattle.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Much depends on the beast concerned and the angler in question. Being a bumpkin, I'm generally only concerned by the most bad tempered bulls and herds of nursing cows. I find that, unless there's a "beware of the bull" sign, more folks are intimidated by daft frisky bullocks and a field full of heifers than anything else, but they don't worry me at all.

I probably would fish in the scenario described. However, that doesn't mean that I'd recommend that others do the same.

terry m

Reaction score
There is the alternative view that when a farmer erects a Beware of the Bull sign, it is precisely because he is aware of the bad tempered nature of the creature and is acting responsibly.

Personally cows cause me little or no concern, bulls do however concern me and in the scenario described my wisdom would trump my valour and I would find alternative water.

sam vimes

Reaction score
There is the alternative view that when a farmer erects a Beware of the Bull sign, it is precisely because he is aware of the bad tempered nature of the creature and is acting responsibly.

Farmers generally don't want to work with bad tempered bulls. Prices of male calves are generally so poor that they aren't worth keeping and feeding and are often destroyed young. As that's the case, it does keep the value of grown bulls artificially high. It also means that there's generally little point in suffering a bull that's really difficult. Usually, it would have to be a particularly rare breed or particularly valuable bloodline for them to tolerate a truculent bull.

In many instances, signage is often just an exercise in backside covering. I know farmers that will put signs out when the bull concerned is the most placid bull they've known. They'll also chuck them up when there's not actually a bull at all, just other cattle. It's also not unheard of for farmers with fewer scruples to deliberately place them (beasts and/or signage) as a way of disuading the use of rights of way.

mick b

Reaction score
If you know little about livestock the best option would be to fish in a field where the Bull didn't have access.

However, a Bull that is dangerous would never be put into a field alone, simply because the farmer/stockman would be equally in danger as much as any angler.
The normal practice is to stock a Bull along with a few (dry) cows as it makes managing the animal far easier, if not, with cows that are to be bred with him, in which case he will usually be reasonably placid.

A loose Bull, especially one of the dairy breeds is a very dangerous animal indeed, and whatever the circumstances should never be approached by someone without experience of the animal in question.

I bred Bulls and exhibited them at all the major English County shows and the Royal and thus speak from considerable first-hand experience.

Heed Sam's words, he also has seriously 'muddy boots'.

smudger172

Reaction score
If you do manage to catch one, be prepared for it to have the hump...:):):)

smudger172-albums-fish-picture3904-cow.jpg

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
A couple of my mates had to run like hell to get away from a Herd of cows, one had to jump into the water to be safe.

They had young with them and thats when they can be Dangerous, they are protecting their young, as we would.

As for Bull's ?? used to fish on the Ouse at Lea's Brook, had a Bull there, never heard if it ever went for anyone.